Falling Asleep

Living the same life as Everyone Else

AN: Hi guys, here's another update.. I am still waiting for a few more opinions about if I should write about Onew's past or not?

Katakatica~


When I woke up, I was lying on something soft, but I could still feel the ground under me, I think I was lying there, but there was a jacket or something that was laid under me so.. I don't really knew why, but something told me that it was a nice gesture.. or to protect me. To tell the truth, I didn't care about what was under me. My head was pounding and I could barely force my eyes open.

'Hey, are you Ok?' the Student from before yelled at me. Or at least it sounded like he was yelling since I felt like my head would explode or something.

'Y..yeah..'I managed to whisper. I didn't even know why my head hurt, I mean, when I passed out, I felt the pain in my back, not in my head.

'Has he harassed you before?' he asked me. He was so pretty. I mean, he wasn't like us.. He was different. Of course, all Students and Leaders were different from us, but he looked even more different. I shook my head as much as I could, finally I could feel the pain leave slowly.

'No.. At least not like this.. I mean, he was always staring at me when I was changing, or he wanted to touch me on the way here, but he hadn't really done anything like this before.' I said, but then I realized that I was talking to a Student. If he wanted to, he could have sent me into the prison for whatever reason. He could have done it, but what he actually did, surprised me.

He reached out with his flawless looking hand and put it on my forehead. He frowned, and I could see something that looked like worry in his eyes. Was he worried about failing his test if I couldn't go back to work?

'You have a high fever, you shouldn't work like this.'he said. I looked into his eyes full of concern, and then, I started to laugh. It was a bitter sound as it echoed in the mine.

'Do you really think that people here care about anything? My wounds must have reopened and something happened to them.. And? Who cares? No one..' I said bitterly, looking into his eyes. 

'But, you are injured. Your fever might mean.. well I'm pretty sure that it means that your wound are infected. You have to be treated as soon as possible, or something will happen to you..'he said.

'Are you really from around here?'I asked him as I sat up slowly. My back felt like it was on fire the moment I sat up, but I was used to the pain. Plus, if I died, no one would have cried. Not even Taemin. We promised each other, that we wouldn't cry if the other died. Death was a common 'incident' if you were a worker. Almost every day, we would have to dig a grave for someone.

Once again, I was surprised when the Student leant closer to me, so even if someone was listening, they couldn't hear what he whispered into my ear. 'Actually I am not. And from where I come, it's a crime to treat people like Leaders treat you..'he whispered. Ha, so it was a trick to see if I would complain about my life. It was one of the worst sins. You were a Worker, you had to deal with it. 

'I have a perfect life. 'I said without any emotion in my tone.'I am fed every day and I have a rood above my head. I am happy.'I added, and strangely, it was his time to laugh now. His laugh was just as bitter as mine had been.

'You are a bad liar, Kim Kibum.'he said. I sighed, he saw right through me, this meant that I was going to get more punishment than usual. I gulped, remembering the feeling as the whip would tear off some of my skin and as my blood would make everything red. I liked red. Red wasn't gray, and what wasn't gray wasn't dull. 

I felt someone shake me and I looked at the Student slowly. I had zoned out while he was talking to me. I was dead.'Are you alright?' he asked me. I scoffed and stood up.

'Yes, I am. And I have to work.'I stated, tears gathering in my eyes caused by the pain I felt. But still, I went to my previous spot and started hitting the rocks once again. Yes, it hurt, yes I wanted to die, but I still worked.

In order not to get punished, I skipped lunch. This caused me to feel dizzy, but I still worked as hard as I could. The Student was staring at me for the whole time, so he did his job without even talking to me. 

When the day finally ended, I was actually happy to go back to our.. apartment. Miraculously, I wasn't punished. I was really happy to climb up into our room and fall into my bed. I hadn't seen Taemin yet, but at that moment, I didn't care. 

Despite being extremely exhausted, I couldn't fall asleep. My whole body was throbbing now, and when I turned a bit, I could see that my sheets were soaked with my blood. I cringed away in disgust, knowing that this meant that my T-shirt was in an even worse condition. It hurt so much that I didn't even have the strength to crawl off the bed. 

The room was spinning with me, the dull colors looking like one simple blur. My head started to hurt even more, and I was starting to shiver. But at least I could feel sleepiness creep onto me. 

Finally, I fell asleep, not really caring if I would ever wake up again.