Heartbroken

Kevin Woo, I Object Your Love { discontinued }

First of all, thanks for the comments! You guys are so inspiring and funny! I almost laughed out loud when I was working because some of you made me cackle like crazy :) Secondly, please forgive me for what I've written down here. It's a mess and I don't know what happened to me when I typed the whole thing. It so much that I feel like crying. Ok, maybe not but this chapter is just... so.... bad. I'm disappointed. Anyway, happy reading and commenting. Oh my god, I love the comments. And I love you!

 


                Hyojung slammed her hand on the table. That’s it. She’d go to Byunghun’s restaurant this afternoon and faced him. She wanted to shower him with a lot of questions. She wanted to know why he didn’t see her, call her, or meet her. Her car was still at workshop, getting fixed. It had been the fourth day of her having to go to work with Kevin and thank goodness he was there. And she was obviously mad at Byunghun because it should be him doing that to her.

                She was about to phone Kevin to tell him that she’s not going to have lunch with him but her work wouldn’t let her to touch her phone at that time. Yes, they’d been eating lunch together since Kevin insisted that he wanted to treat her every day until she got back her car. Hyojung had to admit that she felt really comfortable with him around. More comfortable than her boyfriend. Gosh, where is Byunghun?

                Hyojung made an attempt to call him. She looked for his number and pressed dial when she saw his name on the screen.

                Again, she was disappointed.

                She took off her glasses and rubbed her tired eyes. As much as she hated their relationship now, she really hoped that Byunghun wasn’t like any other guys who used to ditch her in the past. When she found Byunghun, she knew he would be her life but this was going nowhere. Her heart was burning with anger.

                The phone vibrated and Hyojung became to feel nervous. Was it Byunghun? Did he finally call her back? Taking in deep breath, she looked down at her phone and saw someone else’s name on it. Hmm, Byunghun crushed her hope.

                “Hey, Kevin.” She said tiredly. The amount of reports she had to read this morning plus the problems about her life caused her to get really exhausted. She should remind herself not to mix up personal and business but this thing really bothered her to the maximum level.

                Kevin on the other line chuckled to get her mood back. He noticed Hyojung seemed kind of down these days and he really wanted to know why. She looked so bothered that it made Kevin felt irked at the frowns he saw on Hyojung’s forehead every morning he went to her house to pick her up.

                “Come on, what’s the problem, Hyojung?” Kevin asked. He was still chuckling and he heard her chuckled as well. Ah, he guessed Hyojung was just faking it but it was still okay.

                “Nothing.” Hyojung replied. She wanted to tell Kevin about her problem as they’re getting closer now but she thought Kevin might still not fond of her so she just zipped .

                Kevin sighed. He didn’t feel happy until he got the thing he wanted to know from Hyojung. What are friends for if it’s not about telling problems and comforting each other?

                “Alright. But I know you’re not in the best of your mood. Tell me when you feel like it, okay?” Kevin said in his cheery tone.

                Hyojung smiled a bit. She didn’t know what to feel about this man. He was so caring and kind-hearted that it made her feel like hugging him because he was just plain amazing. “Sure, Kevin.”

                “Lunch together, today? I’ll be at the front around 12.30.” Kevin said. He loved having meals with Hyojung because she often talked about her work and how she loved her work even though it was tiring. She’d also tell him about this one recipe book that she had improvised and she’d love to have him check it out so he could learn some of the cooking someday. He didn’t know. He really adored the way she explained everything to him – with her bright eyes and smile.

                Hyojung bit her lower lip. If she said it, she would be mad at herself because Kevin’s going to be upset. But she needed to solve this problem first, then she’d make it up for him. “I.. I might not eat my lunch today.”

                “Why?” Kevin asked. That was weird. Was she in the middle of big case? If it was so, he understood that. Most lawyers had to skip their meals because some assignments were asking for more of their attention.

                “Report. I feel like dying here.” Hyojung sighed. She felt really bad for lying.

                “Oh… good luck with it. But you should eat some sandwiches.” He suggested.

                “I’ll grab some muffins.” She smiled.

                “I said sandwiches, girl. Hmm, sorry for stealing some of your time. See you after work.” Kevin hung up on her. She placed the phone away and continued with her work. And her problems.

                She just realized that she had to spend extra money on cab if she wanted to ride that to go to Byunghun’s restaurant. A sigh escaped her lips again. Taking cab was a hell but she would do it for the sake of meeting Byunghun.  

 

                Kevin had his lunch with Hoon at a fast food chain near the city. Hoon, who finally had time with Kevin gave it a go about having meal together. The last time they met each other was during Jaeseop’s engagement party and they only exchanged texts afterwards. Hoon was a very great friend who’s sometimes gentle and overprotective. He would give great advice and Kevin really respected him for that.

                “The pizza here is getting delicious. Do they hire new sauce makers or what? I’m loving the sauce they use!” Hoon commented while still chewing on his slice of pizza. He looked like he was really enjoying his food. Hoon – pretty dramatic when it comes to delicious treat.

                Kevin chuckled. “Yeah, it’s kind of spicy and sour but I like it.” He put in the last bite of the slice he was holding into his mouth and drank some coke.

                “Exactly, Kevin. Exactly.” Hoon nodded. He kept on reaching for more pizza and Kevin tried his best not to laugh very hard. What a glutton.

                “Your baby doesn’t cook for you?” Kevin asked.

                “Nope. But I hope she’ll do that soon.” He sipped on his fizzy drink. “So, Kevin, what’s up with you?”

                Kevin rolled his eyes. “It’s true that you love food more than your friends. Well, I’m great. Kind of. Yourself?”

                “I still love you guys.” Hoon laughed. “I’m fine.  A little busy, though.”

                “Oh.” Kevin nodded. Then, he thought about Hyojung who was in the midst of problems. He really wanted to help her in any way he could but he just didn’t know how to ask her what her problem was. It annoyed him that he couldn’t lend his hand to her.

                “Anyway, Hoon. I want to ask you something.” Well, the best counselor was with him now. Why would he let the chance slip?

                Hoon cocked his eyebrows. His lips the straw of his coke as he nodded. “What is it?”

                “I have this one friend. She looks troubled and I feel like she has some sort of conflicts. She said she’s fine and all but I know she’s hiding something. I really want to help her but I don’t know how to make her open up a bit.” Kevin explained.

                “Who’s this one friend? Your girlfriend?” Hoon asked.

                Kevin smiled. Hyojung was a nice, beautiful, successful woman and every man would be happy to have her as a partner. Lately, he found her to appear somehow attractive to his eyes. Kevin felt himself attached to Hyojung for a few while when he was bored at work. He often had this urge to phone her and ask her about random things. Just like what he did this morning.

                “She’s just a friend.” Kevin said. Oh well, best friends – because he could go completely crazy around her now.

                “Yeah, right.” Hoon scoffed. Then he brought his smile back. “Just give her a little bit of time. She probably chose not to tell anyone about it now.”

                Kevin wiped his mouth using a napkin. “You’re not helping. I really want her to talk about it to me.” He threw it on the empty plate in front of him after he’d done cleaning the stain around the corner of his lips. What had Hyojung done to him, really?

                “Over-caring alert, huh?” Hoon joked. “I don’t know. When the time is right, she’ll tell you. Trust me, I’m the expert.” He patted Kevin’s shoulder.

                Kevin flashed a small smile. Maybe he should just wait. Hyojung would tell him soon, he was sure of that. Great, why did he worry much about her anyway?

 

                Hyojung ordered a set of Korean lunch for 1 person. She thanked the waitress who took her order and looked around to check if Byunghun was in the same place with her. She was now in his restaurant, in the mission of facing this coward boyfriend of her.

                When the lunch set arrived to her table, she thanked the same waitress again. Byunghun was still not in her view and she decided to ask the waitress of his whereabout. Wow, she did not just feel like a stalker, didn’t she?

                “Excuse me, is Mr Lee Byunghun here today?” She asked her. The waitress gave her a smile that was too bright and it almost blinded her. Special customer service. Impressive.

                “He’s in his office. Would you like to meet him, miss?” The waitress, again, with her smile looked at her lovingly.

                Hyojung hesitated. Should she call him out and let him come here to have some adult talk with her? Yes, she should. She came for explanation and she needed that explanation now. “Yes, please.”

                “Your name, miss?” She asked.

                Hyojung gulped. She must not feel nervous now. “Hyojung. Ahn Hyojung.”

                “Alright, please enjoy your lunch while I call him.” The waitress bowed at her and vanished from her sight.

                She ate her lunch properly until she felt herself choking looking at someone she missed so much walking towards her. When she looked at him properly, her heart dropped. Byunghun looked a little bit to the thin side. He looked pale too. But the thing that made her heart crushed to tiny pieces was how bitter his smile was. It’s like he was forced to smile and he was hiding the biggest secret from her.

                Byunghun approached her table and sat in front of her. Hyojung already stopped eating and looked into his eyes. He looked sad and devastated and Hyojung almost surrendered herself to forgive him.

                “Are you done?” Byunghun asked her. His voice was very icy that it hit her like cold water during winter.

                Hyojung nodded. “Yes.”

                Before she could say more, Byunghun pulled her from her seat and dragged her to the back of the restaurant. She wanted to tell him that he hurt her wrist for gripping it too tight but was kept shut. She didn’t understand why she lost her strength when it comes to this man.

                When both of them reached the back, Byunghun locked the door. Hyojung stood still, debating whether to look at her feet or to look straight into his eyes boldly. Guess she was too late when Byunghun engulfed her in a bone-crushing hug. Hyojung hugged him just as tight.

                He kissed her roughly and it was like strong force was put on her lips. She tried to reply back but Byunghun pulled away too early. Hyojung felt like crying when she looked at him again.

                “Hyojung-ah, I’m sorry. Oppa is sorry.” Byunghun held both of her hands and looked at her with tears pooling in his eyes.

                She didn’t understand what was going on. She released her hands form him and took a step back. “Why did you ignore me? I called you tons of times and all I heard was some stupid woman asking me to record my voice. Why?” Hyojung began sobbing and let herself drowned with the tears.

                Byunghun messed his hair and punched the door. He screamed loudly, making Hyojung froze. She never saw him in that kind of state and she was terrified. She refrained herself from crying, afraid that Byunghun would blow something off again.

                “Hyojung, I’m really sorry.” He approached her again and tried to reach for her hands but Hyojung hid them behind her back.

                “There must be something wrong that you’re acting like this!” She shouted at him. Byunghun pulled her into a hug but Hyojung squirmed to get off him. She pulled him away as hard as she could and the man stumbled backwards.

                “Tell me something I don’t know.” She demanded. The man was acting way too different.

                “Let’s break up.” Byunghun muttered. His head was hung low. “It’s for the best.”

                Hyojung covered . That was the last thing she wanted to hear from Byunghun. She wanted explanation. Not three words saying they’re over.

                “Why?” Hyojung sniffed.

                Byunghun looked at her and showed her the finger that had a platinum ring on. His lips quivered as he showed it closer to her. “I’m engaged, Hyo. I’m engaged.”

                “H-how….” Hyojung looked straight into his eyes.

                “I’m sorry. Things are just too complicated. I was forced to get married with this ex-girlfriend of mine because she claimed I had made her pregnant and….” Byunghun rubbed his face. “I’m sorry, Hyojung. Really. I’m trapped, Hyojung. I never had with anyone before.”

                “.” Hyojung cursed. She wanted to hug him but she’s afraid both of them got too emotional. “But why didn’t you answer my call?”

                “She wanted me to change my phone number and I’m not allowed to contact you anymore. You have no idea how much I wanted to meet you and hear your voice.” Byunghun said sadly.

                Hyojung realized she had to let him go even though she could see that the man loved her so much. He was attached to someone already so what’s the use of her presence in his life? If there’s anything happened, she was to be blame for she’s the third part of the relationship. She felt heavy to leave him but she knew she had just to do it. At the same time, she was mad at this lady who suddenly messed up everything.

                “B-byunghun oppa. Please.. don’t be a stranger when we meet somewhere else later.” Hyojung gave him one last hug. Byunghun nodded, hugged her back and kissed her forehead. His forehead kiss, she’s going to miss it.

                Byunghun pulled away. “Hyojung-ah~” He called out her name.

                Hyojung looked up to him. Her eyes were puffy. “Y-yes?”

                “Promise me that you’ll live well, okay? And promise me that you’ll find a man who deserves you and knows how to take care of you.” Byunghun wiped her tears. The words came out like poison to him and her. It hurt him that he had to suffer from this and watch his now ex-girlfriend crying.                

                Goddamit why must he made it so hard for both of them? Hyojung nodded and moved away from him. “You too. I hope you’ll live well.” She faked a chuckle.

                Immediately, she opened the back door and sprinted out of the restaurant. She didn’t want to spare more time looking at him anymore. She’s afraid she would go back to him and beg for him to stay with her.

                With a broken heart, she returned to the firm, trying to smile again in front of other people.

 

                Kevin waited in front of Daehan Firm patiently. It had been 20 minutes after office hour but Hyojung still didn’t come out. He wanted to call her but he’s afraid she was in the middle of an important meeting.               

                Soon, he saw her walking tiredly – more like a zombie – toward his car. She looked like she was overly stressed out and there wasn’t even a smile stamped on her face. But he noticed a fake one when she was opening the door of the car. Fake or not, the smile was still pretty. It just had less effort and sincerity in it.

                “You look tired.” Kevin commented. He drove to the main road and glanced at her. Her hair which was tied up into a bun this morning was let down. “Are you alright?”

                Hyojung was not in the mood to converse. She just wanted to go home and stay on her bed, watching random movies on her laptop. She wanted to calm her mind. She needed to get out of this dark hole. “I’m alright. Just some headache.”

                Kevin groaned. He was frustrated at Hyojung’s current condition. There was a long awkward silence in the car and Kevin didn’t want that. He preferred a cheerful Hyojung who always talked. Not the quiet one. Hoon said he had to wait a bit but he was getting impatient.  He was dying to know what was troubling her.

                “Do you want to buy anything while we’re still on the road?” Kevin stated. Hyojung didn’t reply. She knew she hurt him but she really needed some time alone.

                Kevin sighed. He knew he had to do something. Even if he had to embarrass himself, he had to do it to make her smile again.

                “Why aren’t you talking, Hyojung? Come on, tell me something exciting!” Kevin drummed his fingers on the steering, creating random tunes. He whistled to a song she’s not familiar with. He hoped he could get her all bright again by doing that.

                Hyojung smiled a little, looking at Kevin who was beginning to lip-sync the song on the radio horribly. He missed a few parts of the song and Hyojung chuckled at his fail attempt.

                “Stop it. You ruin the whole song.” Hyojung laughed and hit his arm. Kevin laughed as well and still continued doing it. She looked at him weirdly with more laughter coming out. Glad, that would be the best word she could say at that minute. She was glad Kevin was next to her trying to cheer her up. Even though he looked like a total idiot, at least that lifted her stress off her a bit.

                Kevin dropped her in front of her house. He told her to keep smiling because she looked so ugly when she’s not smiling. Hyojung wanted to hug (hit) him (for saying that) and thank him for keeping up with her. She was being such an in the car but he changed her in split second. Why a man like him didn’t have a girlfriend?

                Hyojung entered the house feeling somewhat empty. She realized that she left her blazer in Kevin’s car. Being such a lazy hibernating polar bear, she decided to just take it tomorrow morning. All she wanted to do right now was a hot bath with some lavender-scented candles in the bathroom. Gosh, she needed that. Hyemi wasn’t around again so she thought she could be in peace. 

                It was such a mistake to check her phone. She didn’t recognize the number appeared on the screen but she read the text the number sent her anyway.

                From: 68493512

                Hyojung, I want you to know that you are one of the best things that have ever happened in my life. I’m sorry that we didn’t last long. I hope you know that I will never forget you. Please take care of yourself. This will be the last message from me.

                Love, Byunghun.

                Tears slipped down her cheeks as she clutched her phone tightly. Dammit Lee Byunghun, stop making everything so real hard. Hyojung was fighting with herself whether she wanted to keep the message or delete it. She was confused.

                Kevin looked at Hyojung’s blazer beside him. Hmm, this girl left her stuff again. Two days ago, she forgot to take her briefcase. Look at how clumsy she was. Kevin went out of the car together with the blazer. He decided to go to her house first and sent the blazer to her.  And then he’d have his simple dinner – ramen – and sleep. No cases for the rest of the week and he was relieved.

                On the way to her house, he was figuring out the way to get Hyojung telling him her problem. He swore he felt so nosy at the moment but it squeezed his heart to see her with that painful expression on her face. He had to help her. He felt the need to help her.

                Ringing the bell, Kevin took a step back and waited for Hyojung or Hyemi to open the door. He knocked the door when he didn’t hear footsteps or any of them yelling ‘Wait a sec!’. Hyemi was probably out and Hyojung might be in the bathroom.

                Sighing, Kevin turned away and walked off the couple stairs. He heard the door was opened and he turned back to look at it. Hyojung was crying terribly. Kevin rushed to her and stood in front of her awkwardly. He wanted to hug her so bad but he didn’t know if he should do it.

                “What happened?” Kevin asked. She was crying non-stop and he began to panic.

                Hyojung leaned in and hugged him. Kevin widened his eyes but soon relaxed as he wrapped his arms around her. He let Hyojung sobbed in his chest while he her back, calming her down.

                She cried even more. She needed someone to lean on. And thank goodness Kevin was there, again. His way of embracing made her so warm and secured. Kevin kissed the top of her head, soothing her. Both of them were still standing in front of the door and Hyojung didn’t care if their neighbors were looking at them weirdly.

                Kevin leaned closer to her ear. “Cry all you want, I’m still here.”

                And Hyojung clutched to his shirt, pouring her sadness out.