Blind Date

Kevin Woo, I Object Your Love { discontinued }

 

                Kevin rubbed his temple for the nth time on that day. He sighed as he looked upon the figure in front of him, before asking the man to sit and wait for him. He went to take a file filled with tons of papers on the desk and walked slowly to settle himself comfortably in front of the nervous-looking young lawyer.

                “I think you have no future ahead. I mean, by being what you are now.” Kevin stared blankly at Nam Jiwook, the new lawyer who begged him to give him chance working under his firm.

                “But I believe this is what I’m destined to be, Mr Woo. I lost those cases because my side always has the weakest points and comebacks. The evidence are not enough and I always get a crimi—“ Jiwook froze when Kevin slammed the file onto the coffee table. Kevin really hated it when people didn’t want to admit their fault and blamed it on others. His hand went up to his red tie, loosening it a bit.

                “Don’t blame the clients, Nam Jiwook. We are paid to help them and we have to do anything to satisfy them. But you? I’m disappointed. I don’t even know why you took law as your subject of interest. You don’t know how to speak well while in court. Your ideas are not mature enough and your body language is not that convincing. I suggest you to step back from this world, Jiwook.” Kevin stared blankly at him. Oh, how he didn’t like himself being cruel like that.

                “Please give me one more chance, Mr Woo. I’ll improve.” Jiwook fidgeted in his seat.

                “No more chance for you, Nam Jiwook. I don’t think you can survive other time.” Kevin stood up and shoved his hand into the pockets, waiting for his employee to stand up as well. He knew pretty well Jiwook would understand what he meant. It’s not that he wanted to shoo him away, he just wanted the best for the young man, law was just not for him.

                 “Hmm, I guess this is the end for me. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you.” He bowed a little and flashed a faint smile at Kevin.

“There’s no end for you, Jiwook. By the way, do you remember who you lost to in recent case?” Kevin asked him, slightly raised his eyebrows.

                “I don’t remember her name but she’s from Daehan Firm. Why, Mr Woo?” He asked him back. Kevin smiled teasingly as he patted Jiwook’s back.

                “See? You don’t even know who your enemy is.”

                “Yes, you’re right. Maybe I should just give up earlier. And thanks again, Mr Woo.” He bowed again, trying to walk away from the tall man when Kevin suddenly grabbed his arm.

                “Before you leave, here’s my friend’s card. He owns an arts, graphics, and..okay I don’t know but it has something to do with editing, coloring? Long short story, he’s in need of new graphic editors and I think you’re suitable for the job.” Kevin shoved the card into Jiwook’s hand. Jiwook blinked many times at the business card before looking up to see Kevin again.

                “Thank you but how do you know I’m….”

                “I saw a lot of beautiful pictures on your desk and they’re beautifully edited.” He smiled at him. Jiwook smiled back before thanking him many times.

                “Till we meet again, Mr Nam.” Kevin patted the man’s shoulder before proceeded back to his seat to check on the documents. His eyes wandered around the name of the lawyer from the other side.

                “Ahn Hyojung, hmm, working at Daehan Firm?” He tilted his head a little. Then, he chuckled to himself. Maybe Jiwook just didn’t know how to be a real lawyer.

                Knowing he had more time for the rest of that Saturday, he called it quit and went out of the building for some drinks with his friends. Heading home was just not a right thing to do, plus, a man needed more time to enjoy himself. Well, that’s what he thought.

 

                 “Hyojung-ah, a friend of mine and I arrange this sort of blind date between you and her son. I hope you can go and meet him after breakfast.” Mrs Ahn said as soon as she saw her eldest daughter walked into the kitchen with a pink bunny pajama.

                 “Umma~” Hyojung whined. She then looked at Hyemi who was mocking her by making faces. She rolled her eyes and went back to look at her mother. This is why she hates coming to Busan. She had to postpone all her work at Seoul just to hear the same thing rolled out of her mother’s tongue.

                 “He’s a good guy. Come here, I have a photo of him.” Mrs Ahn motioned her to come forward but she just shrugged lazily, grabbing a piece of bread from the plate.

                 “Unnie, omo!” Hyemi exclaimed after she snatched the photo away from Mrs Ahn. Hyojung startled and rubbed her left part of her chest repeatedly.

                 “Oh goodness, what is it?” She sighed.

                 “He’s hot! Like freaking hot! Girls would cry to be in your shoes, unnie. He’s definitely handsome.” Hyemi nodded. Mrs Ahn ruffled her hair as a sign she agreed to Hyemi.

                 “Even Hyemi said he’s good. You should try going out with him, okay? And it’s at a café across the road.” Mrs Ahn said.

                 “The past guys are handsome too but they’re jerk. I’m pretty sure this one is a jerk too. I’m not going, that’s it.” Hyojung kept on munching the bread.

                 “Unnie, he’s handsome. Just look at his photo.” Hyemi tried to show her the picture but she quickly shoved her hand away.

                 “No!” She yelled.

                 “Yes!” Hyemi and Mrs Ahn joined force.

                 “No!”

                 “Yes!”

                 “No!”

                 “Or I’ll tell appa you broke his baseball trophy.” Hyemi smirked. Hyojung felt scared all of sudden and rushed to cover Hyemi’s mouth with her hand.

                 “Oh, so you’re the criminal, Miss Lawyer.” Mrs Ahn smiled playfully.

                 “Umma, I swear it happened accidentally.” Hyojung panicked. Both her younger sister and her mother laughed evilly.

                 “Okay okay okay, I’ll go to this blind date and be a good girl. But this is going to be last blind date, alright?” Hyojung persuaded them. They nodded before spazzing happily.

                 “You have an hour left before the date. Hurry up, Jungieee.” Mrs Ahn slapped her . Hyojung rubbed her bottom as she made her way to the bathroom.

                 After dressing up in a light blue blouse and a beige skirt, Hyojung put on the lightest make up on her face and a silver necklace around her neck. Satisfied, she went downstairs and heard some cheering from Hyemi.

                 “Unnie, good luck! I want that oppa to be my brother-in-law!” She shouted.

                 “Never gonna happen..” Hyojung mumbled and took her car key from the coffee table.

                  Hyojung drove to the café even it’s not that far away from their house. She waited in the car a little while before getting out of it, since she didn’t want to be the one waiting for her partner in that ridiculous blind date. When she was very sure five minute has passed, she turned off the engine and went out of the car.

                 “Welcome, miss, did you make any reservation?” A waiter asked her the moment she walked into that warm, cozy café.

                 “Uhm, Ahn Hyojung?” Hyojung tried to make a guess. The waiter’s eyes scanned through the reservation list on his hand. He smiled when he saw her name and guided her to a private table situated at the very corner of the café.

                 She was shocked when she saw her partner for the date was not there yet. Guy who is late is her major turn off. Pouting, she sat at the table quietly and played with the napkin provided by the café. Hyojung kept glancing at her watch even though she knew the time already.

                 “Ahn Hyojung?” A sweet, melodious male voice snapped her out. She glanced up to look at the owner of the beautiful voice and there he was, an extremely handsome tall man, with red hair. Hyojung tried to collect herself before nodding her head and asking him to sit across her. Her sister’s right, he’s hot.

                 “I know I’m late and I’m sorry for that. I woke up late this morning.” He squirmed comfortably in his seat and there’s this cheeky smile plastered on his face. She somehow found it was cute and felt a good vibe coming from the male.

                 “It’s okay. Guys are always guys, Mr..” Hyojung suddenly realized she didn’t know his name.

                 “Kiseop. Lee Kiseop. Just call me Kiseop, we don’t really need that much of formality, right?” He chuckled with his hand covering half part of his face. Hyojung let out a giggle, a little bit mesmerized by his charm.

                 “Alright, it’s Kiseop then, but I’m afraid you’re younger than me. You look so… young?” Hyojung couldn’t find the best word to describe him. Kiseop did look like he’s in his early 20s with all those casual attire that only teen models wore.

                 “I’m 29 years old. How about you?” he asked. Hyojung choked on her own breath when she realized their . Not that much of but she felt like he’s lying about his age. He looked 23, to be honest.

                 "You’re my oppa! I’m 26. I’ll call you Kiseop oppa, okay? I thought you’re younger than me.” Hyojung tried to cover her embarrassment.

                 “It’s alright. No need to feel ashamed. Hmm, have you order the food yet?” Kiseop rested his palms under his chin and tilted his head a little. She shook her head and pouted.

                 “I was waiting for you, oppa. That’s why I haven’t order yet.” Hyojung said.

                 “Aww, I’m sorry. Let’s order now, shall we?” Kiseop blinked. She nodded her head and ordered blueberry tarts and iced latte when the waiter came to their table. Kiseop just smiled at her and ordered the same thing.

                 “It’s weird.” She suddenly blurted out after 2 minutes of deafening silence. Kiseop looked up and frowned a little.

                 “Weird? What’s weird?” He played with the small fork. Hyojung flashed a warm smile and observed him from head to toe.

                 “You. You’re handsome. How come you are able to attend this sort of date? It’s lame.” She expressed her thought. He chuckled amusedly and leaned back to his chair.

                 “Nice point but I have to be a good son. Umma always wants me to get married.” He sighed. She giggled at the fate of hers and him.

                 “We’re here for the same reason, oppa.” She heaved out a sigh as well.

                 “You know.. guys need more time to be a lot mature in order to hold a responsibility and I don’t think I’m at that level yet.” He thanked the waiter for sending the food and gave him good tips before moving back to the discussion.

                 "I understand, me too, I’m not ready to be a wife, with all those work.” Hyojung took a sip of her iced latter.

                 “But you’re a woman, dear. Woman has to marry early so she can bear many children for her husband.” He joked.

                 “Oppa! You’re not cool.” Hyojung pouted. Kiseop spontaneously pinched her nose and laughed.

                 “Okay okay, enough of these weird confessions. So, you work as..?” Kiseop raised his eyebrows, waiting for her answer.

                 “A lawyer. Seoul” Hyojung said before taking a bite of her blueberry tart.

                 “Awesome. I work in Seoul too.” Kiseop nodded.

                 “Cool. Your job?”

                 “Photographer. Part time model.” He stated. Hmm, no wonder he always looked good, she thought.

                 Both of you laughed a lot in the café. He told her some funny stories about his friends and she told him hers. Long short story, both of them had great time together. Kiseop and Hyojung shared a lot of stuff with each other and grew closer.

                 “Hey, let’s eat some ice cream.” Kiseop suddenly asked.

                 “Where? They don’t have ice cream here.” Hyojung widened her eyes.

                 “That’s too bad.” Kiseop pouted. Hyojung shook her head at his cuteness. It was way too adorable for a 29 years old guy like him.

                 “It’s alright. Let’s have ice cream when we’re back in Seoul.” Hyojung suggested.

                 “That’s cool!” Kiseop’s eyes lightened up. Soon, he realized he had to go somewhere after the date.

                 “Hyojung-ah, I have to go somewhere later.”

                 “Oh, you should go. Run along, Kiseop oppa.” Hyojung smiled and pulled him up from his seat. Kiseop laughed and pulled her along as he rose.

                 “Let me send you home.” Kiseop smiled.

                 “I would love to but I came here with my car so… maybe next time. Sorry, oppa.” Hyojung laughed nervously.

                 “Fine, then. Let’s take a picture together and exchange numbers so you can look at this handsome oppa everyday and call me when you need me in Seoul.” He stuck out tongue at her.

                 “Handsome oppa? Alright alright.” Both of them took out their phones and did everything that has to be done. Soon, they bid goodbye to each other with a hug.

                 Hyojung walked out of the café with a smile on her face. Somehow, that last blind date was the best one where she could enjoy it and didn’t have to be all serious.

 

                 “Hey, where’s Kiseop?” That was the first sentence came from Kevin’s mouth when he approached his friends. He settled down beside Eli and started ordering his food.

                 “He said he has to go to Busan today.” Jaeseop said lazily. He handed Kevin a glass of soju in which the latter drank it one gulp.

                 “His mom wants him for the blind date again?” Kevin asked. The others just nodded. Not so long after that, Kevin burst into laughter. Eli and Jaeseop looked at him weirdly.

                 “Why are you laughing?” Eli raised one of his eyebrows. He was not pleased with Kevin’s mocking. If only his mother did that for him, then he would know how it felt to go to blind dates at that age.

                 “It’s funny to have your mom looking for some hot chicks for you to date.” Kevin snorted.

                 “Kevin.. you and him are in the same boat. Except that your mom does not take that step yet. And I think Kiseop is all good with that stuff. He didn’t complain, if I’m not wrong. Right, Eli?” Jaeseop sipped on the stew in front of him. He felt like whacking Kevin’s head for making fun of Kiseop. If only the food didn’t arrive, of course.

                 “Yeah. And I hope your mom will do the same, man. Then you’ll be coming to us, complaining like a little kid, whining all you want.” Both Jaeseop and Eli laughed heartily before looking at Kevin.

                 “Fine, I’m wrong. Still, I don’t think I have time for such thing.” Kevin mumbled. Yeah, he didn’t have any other reason than that. 24 hours a day wasn’t enough for him.

                 “Man, loosen up. You don’t have to work all time. Find a girl to fill that heart of yours.” Eli advised. He himself used to have the same thought as Kevin’s but it has changed when he met his ‘someone special.’

                 “Whatever, I’ll find one when I’m ready for a serious relationship.” Kevin dug into his bowl and ate his lunch, ignoring Jaeseop and Eli’s stares.

                 “You’ve said that a lot of times then you came up with lots of reasons why you can’t be in love.” Jaeseop responded.

                 “You’re so dramatic, Kevin. Like a girl.” Eli grinned, earning a light pun on the shoulder from Kevin.

                 “How could you say that to your friend?” Kevin stuffed some chicken into his mouth.

                 “Friends only speak the truth, Kev.” Jaeseop said. Eli hi-fived him and nodded his head violently.