Zitao

The Housewives of Exo Planet

 

Zitao steps out of the lift and finds himself in a narrow hallway. The walls are bare expect for a wooden plaque on the right wall. The plaque is engraved with black letters that read “Park Psychological Clinic” ontop and a black arrow pointing down the hallway below it. At the end of the hallway is a fogged glass door with the same words printed in black on it.

 

Park Jungsoo, the owner of the clinic(and Zitao's boss) went abroad to earn his degree, masters, and doctorate then returned home to Korea, opened this clinic, and in the clinic's second year of operations, hired Zitao to be one of the five psychologists under his employment.

 

Zitao had moved to Korea because of a modeling contract, he never once planned on getting an office job. He was young, had just graduated from a prestigious private high school in China, and was hungry for adventure. His parents(mostly his father) had been upset,to say the least when he had refused to apply for any university. Little did they know what Zitao had been planning to do since he entered high school.

 

Tired of the same city, the same people, and the same routine, Zitao had begun searching for a way out. In his junior year, the school had held a modeling competition and Zitao, chosen as the representative for his class, had entered and won. A light went off in Zitao's head. Modeling could be his way. For a year and a half, Zitao focused on getting modeling jobs and winning contests, hoping all the while that some foreign modeling company would take interest in him and offer him a ticket out of China. It wasn't easy, with his parents hounding him and slipping university application forms everywhere they could(under his pillow, in his gym bag, in his favorite cereal box, etc) but finally four months before graduation, Zitao was approached by a representative from a South Korean modeling agency after another local modeling job.

 

So Zitao had moved to Korea and for about a year, he was satisfied with regular modeling stints, his small but comfortable apartment in Hongdae, and the thrill of being somewhere hardly anyone knew him. He was happy, even with the trouble of adjusting to a new culture and language. It was what he wanted.

 

Then he met Kim Minseok.

 

Minseok was three years older than him, was taking up Psychology at a university, and lived two doors down from Zitao. They had met when Zitao had accidentally locked himself out of his apartment and he was struggling, with his broken Korean, to explain to the landlord what happened. The landlord, an elderly man of 64, was having a difficult time understanding what Zitao was trying to tell him. Minseok had stepped out of the elevator, noticed Zitao and the landlord struggling with each other, and offered to help. He spoke Chinese he said. That had taken Zitao by surprise. He was even more surprised to find out later, when Minseok had helped sort out his problem and the landlord had given Zitao an extra key, that the reason Minseok knew how to converse in Zitao's mother tongue was because he was seeing someone Chinese.

 

The little incident in the hallway eventually led to movie night's, coffee dates, and shopping. Minseok became Zitao's first friend in Korea. Minseok also helped improve Zitao's Korean and was, eventually, the reason Zitao decided to enroll in university. Zitao supposed that it was the countless hours he spent helping Minseok review for tests that swayed him to take up Psychology., though Minseok insisted it was because Zitao idolized him. Whatever the reason, Zitao found a natural love for the science and has been quite successful in his endeavors regarding it.

 

Flash forward a few years later, Zitao is working in the same clinic Minseok is and is happier than he'd ever thought he'd be working in an office. There really was only one thing about his current occupation that Zitao wasn't happy with. Well, it wasn't so much a thing as it was a person but Zitao hardly saw any difference. All Zitao saw was a constant source of annoyance.

 

Zitao is about two feet from the door when he feels something solid slam against his shoulder. He yelps and struggles to balance his Gucci shoulder bag and his cup of coffee. Zitao ends up spilling some of the coffee on his pants and he curses. His profanity is met by laughter and Zitao looks up from his pants to glare at Jung Daehyun.

 

 

Speaking of that one thing.

 

-