Tensions Anew

The Battle of M & K

 

LuHan and WuFan were on their way home. LuHan was still holding on to WuFan's hand as they walked. He was feeling better but he still couldn't forget what has just happened between MinSeok and him. When they were a few meters away from their home, he saw a figure on top of the rooftop's ledge. It seemed to be moving. He looked closely and realized that it was JongDae. His heart skipped a beat when he saw JongDae take a step forward causing him to fall from the rooftop. A split second later he saw a figure flying towards the falling JongDae. He looked at his hand and realized that WuFan was no longer beside him. When he looked over at JongDae again, what he saw shocked him.
 
JongDae could feel his left cheek burning in pain despite the tears that rolled down from his eyes. The force of WuFan's slap left his cheek bright red. He knew he deserved what the leader had done and he felt embarassed for causing a scene. Wanting to apologize, he tried to open his mouth but no sound came out. A few seconds later, he felt WuFan pulling him in for a hug. The warmth of the leader's embrace soothed him. His tears continued to stream down his face as he felt the leader his back. "I ... I'm so ... sorry," JongDae stammered as he tried to apologize in betwen his sobs.
 
WuFan did not say a word in response to JongDae's apology. He simply hugged the younger tighter and continued to his back. It was heartbreaking for him to see JongDae in so much grief. He wanted to ask him what the problem was but decided that it was better to allow the younger elite to share his problems with others whenever he's ready. WuFan led JongDae inside the house; LuHan followed them in silently.
 
When JongDae had finally calmed down, he looked at WuFan and opened his mouth to apologize again but the latter simply pressed a finger against his lips.
 
"If you're going to say sorry again, I'd rather not hear it. You don't need to apologize to me or to anyone else but yourself," WuFan calmly spoke to JongDae. His eyes were filled with empathy but there was no trace of pity. He knew that the younger elite hated being pitied. The leader placed his hand on top of JongDae's and gave it a gentle squeeze. "If you want to talk about whatever's bothering you now then I'm here to listen."
 
JongDae took a deep breath to steady himself. "I'm just having a hard time coping up with everything that's happening between YiXing and me. I want to say that I'm over him but that would mean fooling myself. I still love him despite everything he's done ...," the younger elite confessed as he tried to hold back the tears. "... Just like how you still love Tao despite what he's done." JongDae regretted what he said the moment he heard the words that left his mouth. It was a stupid thing to say. He opened his mouth again to apologize but WuFan simply hushed him and mouthed that it was alright.
 
A few minutes passed by in silence before WuFan finally spoke again. "Love's really difficult like that. A tree wouldn't be as strong if not for the times that it had to withstand the winds that tried to uproot it." Somehow, WuFan was still wishing that everything that has happened and the things that were still to happen would only make the relationship of the twelve elites in the future. He was still hoping that JongIn, SeHun and Tao will realize their mistakes and come back to the right path before everything was too late. When WuFan realized that he had spaced out while taking to JongDae, he left one final message for the younger elite. "Anyone you choose to love would be very lucky. YiXing may be a friend to me but he was a fool for playing with your heart. Promise me that you'll always think of everything that has happened between the two of you as YiXing's loss and not yours, okay?"
 
JongDae could only nod in silence as the leader hugged him one more time before the latter left.
 
As WuFan passed by the room LuHan and MinSeok shared, he could hear the latter trying to talk to the younger elite. However, it was obvious that LuHan was avoiding the older. "They're old enough to handle their own issues," WuFan told himself, trying to suppress his urge to talk with the two.
 
"Please, LuHan. Let's talk about what happened this morning," MinSeok was trying to remain calm despite the fact that the younger elite was clearly avoiding him.
 
LuHan headed for the door before he answered. "I'll check on JongDae first. I think he needs someone to talk to," he said with his back turned to MinSeok. He quickly opened the door so that he could get out of the room but he suddenly felt as if his feet were stuck to the floor. LuHan looked down and saw that his feet had been frozen to the floor. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" he shouted at MinSeok.
 
"I'm trying to have a proper conversation with you but you simply won't let me," the older elite answered, his voice getting louder as well. He approached LuHan  but later found himself unable to move his feet. "Are we seriously going to do this?" It was now MinSeok who was shouting.
 
"There's nothing to talk about. We're through," LuHan said without looking at MinSeok. He couldn't bring himself to look at the older elite. As much as what he was doing was breaking his heart, he knew that he was causing as much pain to MinSeok. "I need space."
 
Tears were already rolling down MinSeok's cheeks but he remained silent. A few seconds later, a chuckle left his mouth. "Don't make me laugh, LuHan. Why the hell would you want some space? I don't remember doing anything that would cause you to act this way," he said, his voice still louder than usual.
 
LuHan continued to speak without making eye contact. "That's the problem with you, MinSeok. You never listen to what I say." The younger elite's face was now wet with tears. He could no longer stop himself from crying.
 
"I never listen to what you say because you don't tell me what's in your heart. I always have to guess, Lulu. But I've never complained because that's how much I love you. I want to earn your trust." MinSeok's breathing was heavy after he shouted to LuHan what he wanted to say. 
 
"I ... I ...," LuHan stammered, taken aback by MinSeok's words. He could not think of what to say. The truth was he really wanted to stop pretending but he knew he shouldn't be selfish. "I just need space," LuHan simply repeated when he found nothing else to say.
 
MinSeok released LuHan's feet and later felt that he could move his own again. "If that's what you want, there's nothing I can do." MinSeok headed for the door but before he went out, he hugged LuHan and whispered something to the latter's ear.
 
When LuHan heard the door shut close behind him, he slumped to the floor and cried his heart out. "I still love you too," he managed to say softly in between his sobs but MinSeok was no longer there to hear his words.
 
It was cold outside and it was starting to get dark. MinSeok was aimlessly walking along the streets nearby. He needed to do something to calm himself before going back home. After a few minutes of walking, he bumped into someone. "Sorry for th ...." MinSeok never got to finish what he was going to say as he stared at a familiar face.
 
"Fancy meeting you here," Tao said, his voice cold and distant. "I was wondering why it was colder than usual." He looked at MinSeok with an expressionless face. It was like he was talking to a mere acquaintance.
 
MinSeok couldn't believe that Tao was standing in front of him. "Tao ...," the older elite softly said, a hint of disbelief still present in his voice. He reached out and held the younger elite's arm. "Do not touch me," he heard Tao saying coldly. He was about to let go of the latter's arm when he suddenly felt like time stood still. When he finally became aware of his surroundings again, he realized that they were now alone in a deserted building.
 
"Now we can talk." Tao approached MinSeok, his eyes slowly turning completely pitch black. As he walked towards the older elite, black tattoes started coursing down his arms. "Or maybe we can just fight," he said as he pointed a finger at MinSeok.
 
The older elite suddenly screamed in pain as he felt part of his skin and flesh decaying. He quickly went into maximum and made a dagger out of his own blood which he held with his right hand. "I don't want to hurt you, Tao."
 
"I'd love to see you trying," Tao said before laughing maniacally. He ran towards MinSeok. A few seconds later, he was connecting punches and kicks to the older elite's torso. "You're such a weakling, MinSeok." Tao grabbed the other's forearm and sped up its time causing raw flesh to be exposed. He laughed as he saw MinSeok writhing in pain in front of him. "Should I just kill you?" he asked as he continued to torture the older elite. Tao laughed again when he felt his feet and legs being enclosed by ice. He simply sped up the ice's time and it quickly melted. "Fool," the younger elite shouted as he kicked MinSeok on the abdomen, sending the latter flying towards a wall. "It hurts me to see how weak you've become," Tao said, his face remaining free of emotions.
 
MinSeok tried to get up. His knees were already feeling weak. Large patches of flesh were exposed on his arms and torso. When he was finally on his feet, he felt Tao's hand gripping his neck. He could feel the skin of his neck slowly shedding causing his flesh to come in contact with Tao's hand. The pain was becoming unbearable. He could no longer keep himself from screaming in pain.
 
"Yes, that's it. Scream in pain. Let me hear that pathetic cry of yours," Tao said with a voice devoid of emotions despite the tears that were now falling from his eyes. "Shall I kill you now?" He saw MinSeok nodding. "Tell me you want to die. Say that you want me to kill you now." Tears kept streaming down Tao's face as he gripped the older elite's neck.
 
"Kill me now, Tao. Please," MinSeok pleaded, his voice barely audible. He already had his eyes closed in pain for a few minutes. "Please, Tao. Kill me!" The older elite managed to shout the last part before his body went limp.
 
Tao felt for a pulse on MinSeok's wrist but there was nothing. "No!" He shook the older elite's body but the latter remained still. "I'm sorry," Tao said softly as he enveloped MinSeok in a time sphere. A few seconds later, he felt a weak pulse. He removed the time sphere and stood up. "I didn't mean to kill you," Tao whispered as he retrieved his mobile phone from his pocket. He started typing a message as he left MinSeok in the deserted building.
 
Minutes later, a figure rushed into the building yelling. "MinSeok, where are you?" Tears were already clouding WuFan's vision. He wiped his eyes with the sleeves of his shirt and continued to look for the older elite. When he found MinSeok, he quickly felt for a pulse. "Thank goodness you're still alive." The younger elite quickly carried MinSeok in his arms and walked out of the building. The moment they were outside, WuFan flew up and soared through the sky as fast as he could. He needed to get MinSeok to YiXing as soon as possible. 
 
YiXing heard a loud knock from the door upstairs. When he opened it, he found MinSeok in WuFan's arms. "What happened?" he asked while he helped them get inside. YiXing quickly went into maximum and enveloped MinSeok in his sphere as soon as WuFan laid him down on the couch.
 
"Will he be okay?" WuFan asked, the worry evident in his voice. He stared at the still limp body of MinSeok and he couldn't stop the tears from welling in his eyes. It was a scene he never wanted to see again. "How is he, YiXing?" WuFan once again asked when he saw the former releasing his maximum.
 
YiXing looked at the leader with a smile. "He will be alright." The younger elite held WuFan's hand before he spoke again. "However, there's nothing I can do about the wound on his back. It'll surely leave an ugly scar."
 
"As long as he's safe, it doesn't matter." WuFan knelt beside MinSeok and held the latter's hand. "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you," the leader whispered into the older's ear as his tears continued to pour. A few minutes later, he felt someone kneeling beside him. It was LuHan - his eyes filled with silent tears. WuFan placed a hand on the older's shoulder and the latter held his hand as well. "Everything's going to be okay."
 
LuHan gave the leader a small smile. He held MinSeok's hand but never said a word. When the older elite started to stir, LuHan let go of his hand and stood up to leave. He knew that the longer he held on to him, the harder it would be to let him go. As he left MinSeok's side, he felt WuFan's hand on his shoulder. He looked at the leader and gave him another smile. "Please trust me on this, WuFan. I know what I'm doing. It's for everyone's best." LuHan went straight to the rooftop since he knew that MinSeok would soon be brought to their room.
 
 As WuFan carried the still sleeping MinSeok to the latter's room, ChanYeol and BaekHyun return from their date. 
 
"What happened?" ChanYeol asked as soon as he saw MinSeok's injuries. He did not receive a reply so he just helped WuFan change MinSeok's clothes and settle him on the bed. When they were back to the living room, ChanYeol asked WuFan again. "Who did this to MinSeok?"
 
BaekHyun looked straight at the leader before he spoke. "It was Tao, wasn't it?"
 
WuFan simply nodded in reply. He was unable to look at BaekHyun. Somehow, he still felt like it was his fault that Tao turned out the way he was.
 
"So what do you plan to do now? We'll have to deal with Tao sooner or later," BaekHyun said as he sat down on the couch.
 
"I know," WuFan simply replied, his voice unusually soft.
 
BaekHyun spoke in a louder and more serious tone. "It's good that you aware of it but are you ready? Will you be able to do whatever needs to be done when the time comes."
 
WuFan was now looking down. "Maybe. I honestly don't know."
 
"Maybe?" BaekHyun was now shouting. "What kind of answer is that, WuFan? We agreed to your leadership because we thought you were strong enough to handle the pressure." BaekHyun was standing in front of WuFan, his hand clutching the leader's collar. "What the heck is wrong with you? Are you going to let Tao run around hurting people?" He was about to slap WuFan's face but ChanYeol was able to grab his hand.
 
"Don't do something you'll regret," ChanYeol said as he let go of BaekHyun's hand. "Do you really think Tao is doing all those things because he wants to. Did it ever cross your mind that he might have his reasons or that he might have no choice?" It was ChanYeol who was shouting this time. He was glaring at BaekHyun who stared back at him with the same intensity.
 
"Have you ever considered the possibility that perhaps Tao is already beyond saving? You can't say that we haven't tried because we've done everything we could," BaekHyun said, his voice still verging on shouting.
 
ChanYeol snickered. "Can you hear what you're saying, BaekHyun? I guess you're not the person I thought you were."
 
"Stop it you two," WuFan said. "You don't have to get in bad terms with each other because of me. I will take care of Tao myself. You don't have to think about it." WuFan quickly left after.  Perhaps BaekHyun was right. Although he didn't want to believe it, maybe Tao was  indeed beyond saving. The younger elite was even able to almost kill MinSeok whom he loved so dearly before. "I just hope we won't end up doing things we'll both regret, Tao."
 
Tao suddenly felt a gust of cold wind on his nape. He was on his way back to his room in the Argueans' hiding place. When he got to his room, he placed the small paper bag he was carrying on the side table before lying down. He couldn't remove the image of MinSeok begging for his death from his mind. He was disgusted with himself but he knew that he has done was the only way WuFan and the rest of the elites would give up on him and move on. "Maybe we can all be good friends in our next lifetime." That night, Tao needed to cry himself to sleep. The pain he felt was slowly beginning to eat him up inside.
 
The next day, JongIn woke up early to find SeHun staring at him. "Do I have something on my face?" JongIn asked.
 
SeHun shook his head. "I was just amused with how beautiful you are," the younger elite answered, blushing as soon as he finished speaking. His face turned a brighter shade of red when he felt JongIn's lips against his. When the older elite took his lips away from his, SeHun quickly got up and left the room, the blush still evident on his face.
 
"Such a sweetheart," JongIn mumbled to himself. He got up and sat on the bed. His eyes rested on his side table and saw a small box on top of it. "Awww. He really is a sweetheart," JongIn said to himself as he opened the box. Inside it was a silver ring with a black opal set on its center. He couldn't stop himself from smiling as he stared at the beautiful ring. "This is going to be a merry Christmas after all. I just need to get my hands on those trees," JongIn muttered to himself, unaware that SeHun was just outside the door which had been left ajar.