Goodbye

The Battle of M & K

Tao was walking along the crowded streets of Myungdong, oblivious to the noise around him. He continued to think of WuFan and the younger brother he had somehow forgotten as a child. His tears began to fall as he felt bad for not remembering his brother. The image of his younger self with a baby filled his mind. He later began to envision what his younger brother would look like although he already knew who he really was. It broke his heart knowing what kind of a life his sibling has gone through and he felt guilty for having not done anything to protect him. He could only hope that when the time comes for him to tell his younger brother the truth, the latter would forgive him for his inadequacies as a sibling.

As he continued to walk the streets of Myungdong, Tao pulled his padded jacket closer to his body. It was getting colder as Christmas was fast approaching. There were only a few days left. He somehow wished that he could at least celebrate it this year with his brother but he didn't think that it was the right time for the truth to be revealed. His heart ached as he remembered how he had celebrated his first Christmas the previous year with the other elites of the Minos clan. He remembered how happy he felt when he opened the gift he received from WuFan - it was a Gucci bag, something that eventually became one of his most treasured possessions. This year, he would have to celebrate Christmas without Luhan's infectious smile and laughter, JongDae's delicious hot chocolate drink and strawberry cake, YiXing's sweet singing voice and MinSeok's warm embraces. But what he would miss the most was the way Kris would look at him every time they were alone. At that moment, Tao's heart felt like it was being ripped apart. As he noticed the ring on his left ring finger, someone else was staring at an identical ring on his own left rig finger.

Kris was lying on his bed, his head resting on his right arm. He held his left hand above his head and stared at the ring on his ring finger. He suddenly remembered that it was almost Christmas. It came as a sudden realization as it didn't feel like Christmas around their house. People were either recovering from physical pain and wounds or healing their wounded souls and hearts. He himself was nursing a broken heart and he was not doing a great job at it. More than half of the nights, he needed to cry himself to sleep, trying to numb away the pain he felt in his heart with tears. During other nights, he would lie wide awake in his bed, trying to force the memories that flashed in his head out but never succeeding. Last night was no exception; he had stayed up all night looking at pictures in his mobile phone which he did not have the heart to delete. As much as he wanted to forget everything about the person he loves, he could not find the will to completely erase him from his life. He was still hopeful that a miracle would happen and that they could be together again. If that doesn't happen soon, he was willing to wait no matter how long it takes. He doubts that he'll be able to love someone as much as he has learned to love Tao. Silent tears began to fall on his pillow as his heart ached once more.
 
"When will you be in my arms again, Tao?" WuFan softly asked, aiming the question tot the wind, hoping that it would carry it to the younger elite's ears. "I miss you so much." The tears wouldn't stop falling from his eyes no matter how hard he tried to hold them back. Admitting defeat to his emotions, he allowed himself to cry, hoping that the tears would somehow take with them some of the loneliness he felt. After a few minutes, he slowly closed his eyes, wishing that sleep would come to him so he could forget his pains even if it was only for a while.
 
"WuFan, wake up," MinSeok said as he gently tapped on the leader's sides. He could see the younger beginning to stir. "It's time for dinner and we have something to show you as well." The older watched as WuFan slowly brought himself up to a sitting position before opening his eyes. He immediately reached for the leader's hand and dragged him out of bed and into the dining room.
 
WuFan tried his best to keep up with MinSeok's enthusiasm. As they made their way to the dining room, he noticed that the entire house had been decorated for Christmas. "It's beautiful," he muttered, but the older Minoan did not hear him. When they reached the dining room, he found the rest of the elites seated around the dining table. Dishes of various kinds were laid on the center. There was even a bowl of punch and several bottles of wine and champagne. He smiled at how everyone seemed to be trying their best to at least have a wonderful Christmas time to remember. As he looked at everyone, he felt MinSeok pushing him into the seat at the head of the table. When he was finally sitting comfortably, he looked around at the other elites again, happy to see smiles on their faces. 
 
ChanYeol and BaekHyun both had red Santa hats on their heads and they beamed with glee at everyone, not a trace of worry on their faces. KyungSoo was sitting beside JoonMyeon, trying to stuff the latter's mouth with a little of everything. Across them was Luhan talking animately with MinSeok who was listening to him with a smile on his face. Beside them was the only silent pair at the table. YiXing was sitting beside JongDae but now that he wasn't looking at WuFan, his face was suddenly sullen. JongDae was concentrating on the plate of food in front of him a little too much, completely ignoring the person seated next to him. This did not escape the leader's notice.
 
"I'm glad everyone's having a wonderful time. Right, JongDae?" WuFan asked, turning to the younger elite beside him. He saw JongDae looking at him with a confused expression.
 
"I'm sorry. What was that you were saying?" JongDae inquired, a little taken aback by the sudden mention of his name. As soon as his eyes met with the leader's, he immediately knew what the latter wanted. Answering the implied question, he spoke almost in a whisper. "I'm alright, WuFan. I really am."
 
WuFan simply smiled at JongDae's response. It was amazing how the latter could easily tell what he was thinking just by looking at his eyes. "I'm glad to hear that. We should all forget our worries for now and have a good time. Merry Christmas, everyone." WuFan raised his glass in a toast and the room was soon filled with the sounds of glasses clanking and cheers from the other elites.
 
After dinner, the elites went their separate ways to spend the night. BaekHyun and ChanYeol were going out to ice skate. KyungSoo insisted on taking JoonMyeon to the mall to do some shopping. MinSeok and Luhan were staying at home and watching movies as the latter still needed to rest. They had invited YiXing, JongDae and WuFan to join them but the three were sensitive enough to realize that the two really wanted to spend some time together. WuFan excused himself saying that he was already feeling a bit tired and wanted to rest early. JongDae said that he didn't really feel like watching a movie and simply went up to the rooftop to spend some time alone.
 
JongDae placed his hands on the ledge of the rooftop as he watched the city lights. After a while, he closed his eyes and let himself be engulfed by the cool breeze of the holidays. Last year, he spent his first Christmas on Earth with YiXing. They went out for dinner and watched a movie. It was a wonderful date. However, he realized that he would have to spend this year's Christmas alone. If he was lucky, maybe WuFan would want to do something together for Christmas. "Another lonely Christmas for me after a long while," he murmured as he felt sad at the prospect of a blue holiday.
 
"It doesn't have to be that way," a voice whispered into JongDae's ear. He then felt arms wrapping around his waist and clasping his hands. When he was about to turn his head, he felt a head rest on his shoulder. It felt so familiar.
 
Tightening his hold on JongDae's hands, YiXing whispered into his ear once again. "I miss you." He released the younger's hands and stood in front of him before speaking once more. "I'm sorry for everything." YiXing placed a hand on the back of JongDae's neck and brought the younger's face closer to his before planting a kiss on the latter's lips.
 
JongDae's eyes widened in shock. His head was a mess; his heart was just as confused. He could not deny the fact that he missed those lips but at the same time, it was impossible for him not to feel an ounce of hatred for the guy. As tears fell from his eyes, he pushed the older elite away and slapped him on the face. "What do you think you're doing? You can't just go around kissing people you've dumped! How dare you!" JongDae shouted as he tried to brush off his tears. "Don't ever show your face to me again. I hate you!" He turned around and headed for the door back into the house but YiXing was able to grab hold of his arm.
 
"I'm sorry," YiXing repeatedly said as he pulled JongDae in for a hug. The younger elite tried to break free from him but he only tightened his embrace. "I love you. I really do," he said as he continued to hug JongDae despite the latter's protest. A few minutes later, all that could be heard was JongDae's sobbing. YiXing loosened his arms around the younger Minoan who slid out of his arms and slumped on the floor on his knees. "I hope you'll forgive me, JongDae. I still love you."
 
JongDae tried to wipe away his tears with the back of his hand while trying to stop his crying. He looked up at YiXing with his red and puffy eyes, silent tears still streaming down his cheeks, before he spoke again. "But I don't. It's too late, YiXing. I've been hurt too much." He got up and once again made his way into the house.
 
This time, it was YiXing who was on his knees as he called out to the younger elite. "Give me another chance, JongDae. Please," he spoke through the tears clouding his vision. Everything was now clear to him. It was JongDae whom he truly loved and he knew he had to do something to win him back. He could not accept the words that came out of the other's mouth. It can't be too late.
 
JongDae turned his head to look at YiXing.  His face was expressionless as he spoke his last words to the older Minoan. "I don't think I can do that." As soon as he had his back to YiXing, tears were once again streaming down his face. Despite still being in love with him, his heart was already afraid of being broken apart again. He could not take that risk anymore. It was time he loved himself more. His steps felt heavy as he walked away from the crying figure of YiXing.
 
The older elite looked up and wiped away his tears. "At least I tried. I guess we're not really meant for each other," he murmured as he stood up. "Good thing it's Luhan I really love or else I'll be heartbroken right now."