Maximum

The Battle of M & K

BaekHyun recalled the conversation he had with JoonMyeon, KyungSoo and ChanYeol the night they battled with the M clan. The leader had not gathered the six to discuss what he revealed that night. He shifted on his chair as he recalled the time he first learned about the possibility of reaching the maximum of their powers.

"You have not harnessed your full power young one," the elder said as he placed his hand on the shoulder of the young BaekHyun. He was panting from exhaustion, having had battled several of the clan's best warriors at the same time.
 
"Yes my lord," BaekHyun replied as he tried to catch his breath. The elder looked down on the young K clan member, a smile showing on his face. "How... How do can I achieve my maximum?" BaekHyun dared to ask as he looked away from the elder.
 
"Why do you seek to attain your maximum BaekHyun?" the elder asked as he squat down in front of the young boy to look him in the eyes. BaekHyun shifted as the elder continued to look him in the eyes.
 
"There is someone I want to defeat," BaekHyun answered softly as he stared back at the elder, the determination evident in his eyes. BaekHyun had always wanted to be stronger than the person he considered his rival.
 
"I assume we are talking about the young flame master ChanYeol?" the elder inquired with a smile. He looked at BaekHyun's eyes as they turned golden. The elder had always believed the young boy will be amongst the few EXO-K elites who'll be able to achieve their maximum.
 
"That is correct my lord," BaekHyun replied as he started glowing golden. Even the thought of the flame boy had always been enough to trigger his anger. "I had always wanted to defeat since we had both been chosen to train as elites," BaekHyun confessed as the golden glow surrounding him expanded.
 
"I give you my word that I will help you achieve your maximum," the elder said as he gave the young boy's shoulders a squeeze. "But promise me one thing my young elite." The elder stood up and walked a few steps away from BaekHyun.
 
"What is it that you will require of me my lord?" BaekHyun asked as he slowly got his emotions under control. His golden glow started receding until it completely vanished from view.
 
"That you do not take anyone's life out of anger but out of absolute necessity," the elder replied. A frown formed on BaekHyun's face as he walked forward and stopped at the elder's side.
 
"I am sorry my lord but I do not understand," BaekHyun started as he looked at the elder. "When do you end someone's life out of necessity and not out of anger?" the young BaekHyun asked.
 
The elder looked at him with gentle eyes and said, "You will learn in due time my young one." The frown in BaekHyun's face did not disappear and the elder laughed at this. "Enough about that," the elder said as he once again stared into the horizon. "What do you understand of achieving your maximum?" the elder asked.
 
BaekHyun also shifted his gaze into the horizon and took a few minutes to think before he replied to the elder. "I believe it means being one with my power my lord."
 
"Crude but correct none the less," he said as a smile formed on his lips. "I was wise to have chosen you as my apprentice elite if I may say so myself," the elder commented before he let out a chuckle. BaekHyun smiled with the praise he received from the elder Changmin.
 
"Earth to BaekHyun!" JoonMyeon shouted into the younger's ear causing him to jump up in shock. JoonMyeon laughed at BaekHyun's reaction.
 
"What was that for?" BaekHyun angrily asked as he rubbed his right ear. "You could have broken my ear drum for all you know," he yelled as he glared at their leader who only responded with a smile. "What do you want?"
 
"I think we ought to have that discussion tonight," JoonMyeon answered, his face turning serious. "We can't delay this any longer." BaekHyun nodded in agreement. "I'll text the rest to be home for dinner. We'll talk about it afterwards," JoonMyeon said as he brought his phone out and started to text the rest of EXO-K.
 
"See you at dinner then," BaekHyun said as he waved goodbye to JoonMyeon who was now at the room's door. JoonMyeon did not turn around but simply waved his hand to acknowledge BaekHyun's farewell.
 
"Hey Kai. Wait up!" JoonMyeon shouted as he saw the younger K elite going up the stairs. He grabbed JongIn's shoulder as he caught up with him. As he turned around, JoonMyeon had his hands on his knees and was panting.
 
"Why?" JongIn asked as he removed his earphones. "What is it?" he asked again as JoonMyeon did not reply. The leader held a hand out and tried to catch his breath. JongIn tapped his foot as he waited for JoonMyeon's reply.
 
"Did you get my text?" JoonMyeon asked as he stood up. "Dinner tonight at home okay?" he added as he saw JongIn checking his phone. JongIn nodded as he kept his phone and put his earphones back on. He turned around and waved goodbye at the leader.
--------------------------------------------------
 
*In a nearby university*
ChanYeol was busy playing the drums that he did not notice his phone ringing. After half an hour, he stopped to get ready for his next class. He picked up his phone and checked if he has new messages. 
 
"A text from JoonMyeon. Wonder what it's about," ChanYeol thought as he slung his bag on his shoulders. "Oh," he murmured as he read the message. "So he finally decided to talk about that." ChanYeol made his way to his next class as he sent a text to Baekhyun telling him not to stress about tonight.
 
"Hey," KyungSoo greeted as ChanYeol sat down at the back row. ChanYeol looked at the front row and found KyungSoo seated near the professor's podium. "Dinner tonight," he mouthed and ChanYeol gave him a thumbs up in reply. KyungSoo quickly straightened in his chair as the professor finally entered the room. ChanYeol chuckled at the uptightness of the younger.
 
As KyungSoo's and ChanYeol's class went on, they noticed SeHun pass by and the papers on the professor's desk were suddenly blown off the table by strong winds. KyungSoo's eyes widened in shock as he looked outside the door and straight at SeHun. The youngest EXO-K smiled at him before he mouthed, "Dinner tonight." ChanYeol smirked as he watched SeHun walk away. The professor had now fixed his papers and used his bag as a paperweight. The class droned on for another hour before the professor finally gave them some reading assignment and dismissing the class.
 
"ChanYeol!" KyungSoo shouted as he saw the older guy near the university's gate. He ran towards ChanYeol. "Let's go home together," KyungSoo said as he held onto ChanYeol's bag. 
 
"I was planning on picking up my BaekHyun so we could spend some time together before dinner," ChanYeol said as he turned around to face the younger. "I'm sorry?" he added as he saw the look of disappointment on KyungSoo's face.
 
"It's okay," KyungSoo answered as he scanned the grounds. "Maybe I can go home with SeHun then." KyungSoo looked around hoping to find SeHun but he noticed ChanYeol shaking his head. "What now?"
 
"SeHun just left. He's meeting JongIn somewhere," ChanYeol replied, looking sorry for KyungSoo. He let out a sigh as he stopped looking around.
 
"Hay. It's okay," KyungSoo lied. "I'll just catch up on some homework before dinner. See you later." ChanYeol watched KyungSoo head back to the campus, knowing that KyungSoo had just lied. He had never been behind for homeworks since they entered college almost half a year ago.
 
"If only JoonMyeon wasn't that petty," KyungSoo sighed as he grabbed a seat in the library. "It's been a week and he's still ignoring me." He brought out several books and laid them down in front of him. "I was just being honest. Acting cute doesn't really suit him," KyungSoo murmured as he crossed his arms on top of the books and rested his head on them.
 
"No!" KyungSoo shouted as he ran after an older boy. "Don't leave me. You promised," he screamed. KyungSoo ran as fast he could but the car the older boy was riding sped up, leaving him behind. "No," KyungSoo cried as he woke up with a start. "Oh. Just a dream," he told himself as he felt his phone vibrating. It was a call from JoonMyeon. He checked the time and realized that he was late for dinner. KyungSoo grabbed his books and stuffed them in his bag as he quickly got out of the library to take JoonMyeon's call.
 
"WHAT TIME DO YOU THINK IT IS DO KYUNGSOO?" JoonMyeon yelled as you answered the call. "IF YOU DON'T GET YOUR HOME IN TEN MINUTES, YOU CAN START LOOKING FOR A PLACE OF YOUR OWN," JoonMyeon added before ending the call.
 
"!" KyungSoo cursed as he think of the fastest way to get home. "Worth a try," he finally decided as he found a secluded place in the campus. KyungSoo closed his eyes and concentrated his energy until he was enveloped with a brownish light. He pictured the backyard of the building where their apartment was and started focusing his energy on his feet. KyungSoo felt the ground below him crumble and he slowly sank into the earth. He allowed the Earth to direct him. He now focused his energy in fromt of him and felt his body moving forward, passing through what felt like sand. 
 
"This will work," KyungSoo assured himself. A few minutes later, As he felt his body getting drained of energy, KyungSoo realized his body had come to a stop. Finally, he focused his energy above him as he felt himself rising. When he opened his eyes and looked around, he jumped in glee. It had worked. He was now standing outside the building of their apartment. Despite feeling tired, he ran inside and caught the elevator.
 
"Five, four, three, two..." SeHun happily taking care of the countdown as he looked at his watch.
 
"One!" KyungSoo and SeHun said in unison as the former stood in the doorway panting. "Made it!" KyungSoo exclaimed as he caught JoonMyeon's attention and gave the leader a wink.
 
"Lucky break," JoonMyeon murmured. "Now that Mr. Do KyungSoo has decided to show up, let's have dinner," JoonMyeon said as he eyed KyungSoo with disapproval. BaekHyun got KyungSoo a plate and utensils as the others started to dig in. KyungSoo looked over at JoonMyeon hoping to catch the leader's attention so he could apologize but he never looked at KyungSoo's direction the entire dinner.
 
"Living room everyone in 10 minutes," JoonMyeon said as he got up and started clearing the table. KyungSoo started gathering the plates and utensils as he shooed the others away.
 
"I'll help him with the dishes," KyungSoo mouthed to JongIn, SeHun, ChanYeol and BaekHyun. The four nodded and made their way to the living room. KyungSoo studied JoonMyeon's face as he placed the dishes on the sink. "Are you still mad at me?" KyungSoo asked but JoonMyeon remained silent for several minutes. As KyungSoo noticed that they were about to be done with the dishes, he decided to apologize again. "I'm sorry for what I said that night and I'm sorry for being late today. I even tried my earth travel technique from school just to get here quickly."
 
JoonMyeon's eyes widened in disbelief at KyungSoo's words. He calmed himself for a few seconds before he decided to speak to KyungSoo. "Accomplishing that feat proved nothing but your carelessness KyungSoo," JoonMyeon started as he looked at the younger with serious eyes. "You know better than to try improving on a technique without someone else present. As for seeking my forgiveness, you know I will eventually forgive you. I can't stay mad at you, you do know that?" JoonMyeon finished as he held KyungSoo's hand.
 
The younger EXO-K elite met his leader's eyes and he started to cry. "I'm really sorry JoonMyeon," KyungSoo managed in between sobs. "I really am."
 
JoonMyeon pulled him into a hug. "I know," he whispered to KyungSoo. "Enough of this drama. We have serious matters to discuss," JoonMyeon finished as he let go of KyungSoo, the authority back in his voice.
 
JoonMyeon and KyungSoo joined the rest of EXO-K in the living room. Everybody had a serious look on their face. JoonMyeon drew a deep breath before he addressed the group. "Tonight we discuss an important matter," he began. "SeHun and Kai, let me fill you in with a few things the four of us discussed the night we battled the M clan." JoonMyeon looked at the two youngest members who nodded in acknowledgement. "BaekHyun told us of the fact that we haven't reached our maximum in terms of our powers," he continued as the rest remained silent. "More importantly, it is also a possibility that EXO-M has not reached their own maximum." SeHun and Kai exchanged worried looks. "That is why I feel that it is of utmost importance for us to tap more into our powers as soon as possible. BaekHyun, I think it would be better for you to continue explaining," JoonMyeon finished as he looked over to BaekHyun.
 
"As I said before, elder ChangMin have told me about this back in EXO although he never mentioned any details," BaekHyun began. "But this morning, I remembered something I said before that he confirmed. The maximum means being one with our powers."
 
"I don't understand," SeHun said as he scratched his head. "How do I become one with my power?"
 
"I am not sure myself but I think I know what it would look like," BaekHyun replied. "Or at least I have an idea." The rest of EXO-K took deep breaths as they leaned in closer to listen. "ChanYeol, do you remember the EXO-M elite we fought last week?"
 
"Yes, but what about him?" ChanYeol asked, trying to remember anything peculiar about the EXO-M leader. 
 
"Do you remember how he looked like towards the end of our fight?" BaekHyun asked. ChanYeol's eyes widened as he recalled how their opponent had looked like then.
 
"He had the wings and tail of a dragon!" ChanYeol replied excitedly. "So what about that?" ChanYeol slumped back into his seat as his excitement turned into confusion.
 
"That's it!" KyungSoo exclaimed. "He remained human but had parts of a dragon. I'm assuming he summons a dragon just as you summon a phoenix ChanYeol," KyungSoo continued as he looked at a more confused ChanYeol. "He was able to summon parts of a dragon and incorporate it into his own body."
 
"So you're saying I should summon my the tail of my phoenix and stick it unto my body?" ChanYeol asked as he looked from KyungSoo to BaekHyun. "Or a beak perhaps?"
 
"That would be ugly," SeHun commented. "And how about me? I don't summon anything. Does that mean I have no maximum?" SeHun asked. Everyone looked at BaekHyun, waiting for an answer.
 
"No and no," BaekHyun said as he looked at ChanYeol and then SeHun. "I don't think it means simply incorporating the physical attributes of your phoenix to your body ChanYeol. Can you imagine KyungSoo with some parts of his Behemoth in his body? It may also mean incorporating your power and its attributes into your physical body," BaekHyun tried to explain as he looked to KyungSoo for help explaining.
 
"It may be difficult for us to grasp the concept completely now. I believe that until now we have only been manipulating the things external to us and we use our bodies as tools to accomplish that," KyungSoo said as he tried his best to express how he understood the matter. "Our maximum can mean making our bodies the source and vessel of our powers." Everyone still look confused despite the numerous attempts to explain the idea of their powers' maximum.
 
Finally JoonMyeon stood up and said, "I think that's enough for tonight. We already have a lot to think about. It's time to sleep for now." JoonMyeon made his way to his room as the rest of K remained seated in the living room. After a few minutes, JoonMyeon popped his head out of the door. "Come on guys. We can think more about this tomorrow."
 
"Good night," EXO-K muttered to each other as they made their way to their rooms.