--

That XX

 

It was a warm august night, and I was celebrating my birthday for the first time without Dara beside me. Not because I didn’t want her to, its just that bastard whom she calls  “Woo Oppa” suddenly asked her out on a date on some fancy restaurant somewhere in Seoul.  Screw him. Of all the days that he would want Dara beside him, he has to choose my birthday. him.

 

I was drinking my third glass, contemplating on ways on how I could get back on that bastard. It has become my favorite pastime lately.

 

“Hey Ji, what the hell are you doing? You’ve already drunk three cans of beer.” Bom Noona said in a reprimanding voice but I just shrugged. It’s my birthday and I can do anything I want. “Anyway, where’s Dara? She should be scolding you by now because of drinking alcohol on your birthday.”

 

“Thanks Noona for greeting me a happy birthday, it truly warms me to the bone.” I said sarcastically. Bom noona looked guilty for a second then sighed in exasperation.

 

“Where’s Dara anyway? Will she be late?” Asked Seunghyun Hyung, Bom Noona’sboyfriend, he is already a senior in Seoul University taking up Business and finance, while Bom, Dara, Chaerin and I are already juniors. Seunghyun and I have been hanging out for a bit and he clearly knows what I feel for Dara.

 

“I dunno hyung, why don’t you ask her boyfriend?”  I said bitterly. “Anyway, it’s my freaking birthday and I want to get drunk as hell and no one will say anything to Dara.”

 

 

At exactly 8:19 Taeyang and Daesung arrived with booze, since I asked them to bring some more. Taeyang was reluctant at first since he is the “responsible” one among us friends, but hey, I can be pretty persuasive, especially now that I knew he was courting Chaerin. Seungri, who was already a sophomore just like Minzy has to escape from his bedroom window just to celebrate my birthday. Of course, a birthday won’t be a birthday without pranks and drinking. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves except for me, the birthday celebrant.  When the clock already struck 2 am, almost everyone inside my house was already drunk. My parents weren’t around because of a business trip thank god for that.

 

Chaerin and I was cleaning up, it was pretty awkward since we barely talk to each other anymore. She confessed to me a few months ago and I turned her down, I told her how I felt for Dara, she told me that she knew my feelings for Dara, she just wanted me to know her feelings and wanted us to date, and see what happens. I declined the offer. Though, if I wasn’t in love with Dara, I probably would have liked Chaerin. But since I’m a fool, the only person I would want and need to love is no other than Dara.

 

“Ji, Taeyang’s courting me by the way.” She said quietly. “And I’m gonna say yes to him tomorrow.”

 

“Yeah, you should.” I didn’t say anything for a while and continued cleaning.

 

“Ji, you know that I’ll always love you right? Just like the way you feel for Dara. But waiting for you to like me . . . is just to o painful. I know its unfair for Taeyang, but I know I’ll get over you someday.”

 

I smiled at her and gave her a friendly hug. Chaerin and I were talking about her training in JYP when she sighed as if contemplating the words she’ll say next “Ji, you should tell Dara to break it off with that Wooyoung bastard, he’s a certified player. I saw him flirting with one of my Sunbae in JYP.” I curled my hands into a fist, I guess, the first thing I do at 23 is murder a bastard named Wooyoung.

 

“Does Bom and Minzy approve of that bastard?” I asked seriously.

 

“Never. . . In fact, we’ve been telling Dara that he’s not worth it. He would even flirt with us even when Dara isn’t around.” She said, clearly disgusted by that bastard.

 

“Have you told Dara?” I shouldn’t have asked. Because knowing Dara she wouldn’t believe anything that’s against that bastard.

 

“We told Dara. . .  countless times already. But she would just stalk away from us. We even showed pictures, but she would always believe whatever excuses Wooyoung would say and she would believe it.”

 

“Thanks Chae. . . I’ll just go to the terrace and think for a bit. Go to sleep already.” I grabbed the cans that hadn’t been opened yet and went to the terrace. Tonight, I’ll drink away the pain and still love Dara anyway. No matter how painful it already is.

 

 

 

 I woke up in my room with Dara wiping me.  She looked so worried. Maybe I should make getting drunk as a habit? Maybe this way I can have a few minutes of her undivided attention.

 

What the hell were you thinking Ji? Just because your mom wasn’t around and it was your birthday doesn’t give you permission to drink like an alcoholic.” She said in a chastising tone.  Despite my pounding head, my heart felt like it would burst from happiness.

Clearly, my head isn’t in the right place, even my heart, because with just her mere presence, everything is forgotten.

 

“Sorry, I just got carried away last night.” I said.

 

“Why did you drink so much anyway?”

 

“I got dumped yesterday.”

 

“What?! But it was your birthday! How could she?” she sighed, she looked a little guilty. “Anyway, Ji sorry I wasn’t around yester—“

 

“It’s cool Dee. You’re here now anyway.” I said sincerely.

 

“Who is that girl anyway? I’ll talk to her and give her a piece of my mind.” She said angrily. She looks cute whenever she’s mad. “Do I know her?”

 

“Yes. You know her. But I won’t tell you who she is.” How can I? when it’s you. “I guess the Greeks were right.” I said.

 

“What are you talking about Ji?” she said exasperated.

 

“The Greeks pictured cupid as blind right? To signify that love is blind, they were right about that.” Dara, how can you be so blind?

 

“Dara . . . I love you. Not in a brother-sister way. I love you. Please, I beg you. Break it off with him.”

 

------------------------------