True Feelings

Once Upon A Memory

 

 
 
Kwangmin's POV:
 
"Your baby face wasn't that familiar, I guess."
 
I'm used to it. I'm used to being forgotten. It's always Youngmin, she remembers only Youngmin. I felt depressed. I went outside to grab some fresh air, or so I think I would. I wanted to be alone. I feel like going home. It's like I only went here to ruin her birthday.
 
I was going to go ahead and leave when Youngmin came out of the house.
 
"We're going out," he went to where I was.
"I'm going home," I gave him an annoyed look. 
 
I was already on my way when he pulled my arm. 
 
"No way, you are coming with us." I gave him a confused look as my reply.
"We're going out. 'We' as in with you. No excuses. You're coming whether you like it or not."
"Why do I have to come?"
"Just come. I know you want it."
 
He flashed his creepy grin at me. I was so close to getting pissed off at my brother. 
 
"I don't know, I might end up just ruining her birthday."
"Just be you, it's gonna be okay."
 
I didn't want to break her mood anymore. Although I also wanted to spend time with her, I just agreed. Maybe we could work this out. 'I'll just not talk to her so I wouldn't say anything stupid.' I said to myself. I'll just keep my mouth shut so no more unnecessary words would come out. Mom came out of the house and saw me and Youngmin.
 
"Boys, I'm going to go home. Take care okay?" She bid us goodbye.
"I'll take you home, mom," I told her.
"It's okay, I'm gonna ride a taxi on the way home. Just enjoy yourselves. You are big boys now, you know what to do."
 
Before we knew it, she took a taxi and left us there. After a few minutes, ~~~ came out of the house shouting, "Look! This is so cute!" as she referred to the jacket she was wearing. I was surprised. She changed her dress into the panda head jacket I bought for her and some jeans. It really looks good on her. I knew I found the right gift for her after searching in many circles. She liked the party and my gift, I smiled to myself with the thought.
 
"You opened your gifts already?" Youngmin asked her.
"Yup, this panda jacket looked really cute so I wore it. It's really comfortable!"
 
I couldn't help smiling. From there, I didn't say a word to her. I tried to keep distance. The three of us headed to the mall afterwards. We went to the arcades and played games there. We had ourselves entertained. This was sort of a continuation of her party. We went to so many places around the mall. We became tired and just ate at McDonald's to recharge ourselves. We had a lot of fun.
 
We were walking around when Youngmin suddenly stopped in front of a clothing store. Oh brother, here he goes again. He immediately rushed inside the store and shopped 'til he dropped. I wasn't interested so I just stayed outside and waited for him. ~~~ was waiting with me too, seems like our feelings with Youngmin shopping is mutual. 
 
"Hey, why are you so cold to me?" she asked me.
"I'm not, babo."
"Pft, now I'm the babo."
"You always were."
 
I answered her with a blank face. Crap. I got really nervous and my mouth just did all the talking. And now we ended up calling each other 'babo', just like the old times.
 
"Yah Mr. Grumpy! I was just joking." she pinched my nose really hard and it hurts! That was so unexpected of her. My nose got really red. "Don't touch my nose!" I said holding on to my precious nose, scared that she might pinch it so hard again. We laughed and laughed.
 
Youngmin came out of the store afterwards, holding three bags. He's such a shopaholic. He really got this side from Mom. "What the? So many!" ~~~ exclaimed. "This is for us!" He took out three caps and three shades, he gave me and ~~~ one of each item. We were all wearing caps and shades now. He took his phone and held it up for a picture. "Say happy birthday ~~~!" We all said in chorus, "Happy birthday, ~~~!" And snap! The picture came out well, we looked really cool. Youngmin took something out of the other bag he was holding. It was shoes for ~~~, a pair of Vans to be exact. She looked happy receiving it. This girl didn't change at all, she'd still prefer Vans than sandals or other girly shoes.
 
After those, we went to the nearest park and hanged out there for a moment. We were stargazing, just staring at the sky, playing random games in each other's phones, truth or daring, and many more. We were getting bored already but I just stared at the stars. It feels so nice when you see a lot of stars in the sky.
 
"Hey guys, there's something I need to do for a while. I'll leave you for a moment." Youngmin left the two of us and headed off somewhere. I was alone with her again. Awkward silence was in between us again. We both sat and just looked up the sky, looking at stars.
 
"Kwangmin look! There's a heart shaped pattern there!" she told me and pointed out the pattern she saw. I smiled at her, it reminds me of us before.
"You always loved it when you can see many stars in the sky."
"How did you know?" 
"I just know," I smiled.
"There, a diamond!" she pointed again.
Somehow it reminded of a song and sang it out loud.
"Shine bright like a diamond~"
"HAHAHA!" She laughed her heart out.
"Yah, why are you laughing?"
"Because you sung that song, hahaha!"
"What's wrong with that song, huh?"
"Nothing!" she kept on giggling.
"Yah, stop it!"
 
I tried to stop her from laughing but in the end, we laughed and laughed 'til our hearts content. After laughing, we looked up at the sky again.
 
"I wonder where Youngmin went."
"Hm, shopping maybe."
"How come you don't like shopping, Kwangmin?"
"That's a girl thing. Youngmin's gay, obviously."
"Just because he shops a lot doesn't mean he's gay already. Some guys just like fashion, I think?"
"I go shopping too, but I only go there when my girlfr…" Oops! Uh-oh.
"Omo, you go shopping with your girlfriend?! That's so cute!" she cheerfully smiled.
"No, it's not," Arghh, I'm so stupid.
"Denial!" she stuck her tongue out to me.
"It's not like that!"
 
Aishh! So wrong. She'll definitely ask about my girlfriend again, or in other words, herself. It's true, I only went shopping with her whenever she asks me to.
 
And there, flashbacks came back. Her accident came back to me again. The pain came back. I covered my eyes with my hands. I couldn't say anything anymore. 
 
"What's her name, Kwangmin?" she asked me.
"Secret."
"Awh, I won't tell anybody! Please?"
 
I kept silent and stared up. I let out a heavy sigh. Everything came back. That unlucky day of her accident. I remembered how we had an argument before her car accident. If we didn't argue, she wouldn't have been harmed. I wish I could turn back time.
 
"~~~ -ah, what would you feel if you hurt somebody? Physically, mentally, and emotionally?" I asked her as I stared at the sky. I could feel tears starting to form in my eyes.
 
"Well, I'd be hurt and for sure I'll regret hurting him or her," she replied. "Are you having problems with your girlfriend?"
 
"Not really. I just felt like asking you that." I closed my eyes.
 
"If ever you have problems with your girlfriend, solve it. Together. Don't let anyone interfere and don't let her go through it on her own," she told me, "I'm sure if you try and make efforts, she'll stay."
 
'I'm already a babo for not doing that before. I'm so sorry ~~~ -ah...'
 
"What if she doesn't? What if she goes away?" I asked her. Tears were starting to roll down from my eyes.
 
"Yah, don't cry," she held my shoulder, "Tell her to stay. And show her what you can do to make her stay. Sometimes it's all about the effort, Kwangmin." I wept like a child. I sobbed harder.
 
"Hey, stop crying! Cheer up, Mr. Grumpy!" she gave me her handkerchief and she wiped the tears away from my face.
 
"What if someone forgets about you?"
"I-I'd be hurt, of course," she answered me, "I hate being forgotten. You know those times when you feel like you don't even exist? When you feel like you're always left out? That hurts the most," she continued.
 
Yes, ~~~ -ah, I hate being forgotten too. Forgotten by anyone is fine but you were the one who forgot about me. I felt like you didn't even know I existed, sometimes it was always you and Youngmin and I was left out. Why? Because you don't know me, you forgot about me. But I don't blame you, it's my fault you forgot about me. It was so hard for me when you were just laying there in the hospital bed, not knowing if you'd still live. It's a good thing you survived too.
 
"I felt alone since that day..." I stated.
"Since what day?"
 
I felt like I already spent half of my lifetime with you. You were always there for me. When you forgot about me, I've never felt so alone. There was no one I could make fun with, I could cuddle and spend time with.
 
The next thing I knew, the sky which we were having fun a while ago was already crying with me now. It was raining. The rain felt good, it was also sad like me.
 
"Yah! Let's go!" she was gonna stand up and go but I held her hand, wanting to still talk to her. "Let's talk here first." She gave me a confused look but she stayed there with me.
 
"Look, the sky is feeling what you're feeling too," she told me.
"It hurts..." I stated. "What hurts? And since what day were you talking about?" I kept silent.
 
It hurts that you don't remember me, I was forgotten by the most precious girl in the whole world to me. I regretted my mistakes before. If only I understood you…
 
"Since the day of the accident. That precious day. That heartbreaking day. The day which made me happy and sad at the same time."
 
"What day?"
 
Can't you remember me? Even just a little?
 
"~~~ -ah, don't you remember me?"
"~~~ -ah, bogoshipda..."
 
She started moving back, away from me. She covered with her hand, I could tell she was shocked.
 
"It can't be…"
 
 
 
 
 
● Mianhae for a crappie update. T~~~T