Birthday Preparation

Once Upon A Memory

Kwangmin's POV: 
 
"Get stuff ready over there okay? I'll be home in a while." I told Youngmin over the phone. 
"Okay, I'll head over ~~~'s house later too."
"All set then. Later hyung, bye."
 
I hung up and took another look at the accessories that were in the store I am in. After a few weeks it's now ~~~'s birthday. How could time be so fast? Here I am roaming around a gift store for the nth time, looking for something to get her. I didn't know picking a gift would be so hard for me. Before I knew it I was already walking around in circles, again. This is the 9th store I've entered and looked up, who knows how many times I roamed around the other stores? Or how many circles I've walked continuously? Seriously, I'm going insane. There were already stuff I picked for her a while ago but thinking that she might not like it, I place it back to where it was again. There were plushies, beanies, necklaces, bracelets, and many many more but in the end I'd feel like she wouldn't want or like it so I leave it behind. I wanted to look for a unique gift to give to the most precious girl in my life, but like I said, it is hard. Knowing I wouldn't buy anything in that store, I gave up and went out. I walked around and searched for another store. 
 
I haven't ate anything this morning and I was already super hungry but I kept telling myself to save it for later because the only thing that was in my head right now is her gift. As I was walking, I saw a clothing store and decided to look for a gift there. This is the 10th store I've entered now. Maybe clothes would be an appropriate gift for her. I looked around and around then there was something that caught my eye.
 
http://img.tofebruary.com/406ai.jpg
 
(If the link doesn't work, just click this: http://www.tofebruary.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=945&zenid=7fc8e9a280bd2209596a1f455545f565)
 
I thought it was really cute and would suit her well. It was unique for me. I held the jacket, stood there for a while, and thought really hard. Should I buy this already? *I think this panda head will really look cute on her.* I thought to myself. 
 
It's settled then, I took the panda head jacket and paid for it on the counter. Finally done looking for a gift after looking for a gazillion times!
 
I took my phone and dialed Youngmin's number, "I'm on my way home."
"Okay, her parents called me already."
"Alright, wait for me." I then stopped the call.
 
I went to my motor and drove all the way home. They were already getting ready for the party too. I planned a surprise birthday party for ~~~. Even her parents and Minwoo are with me on my plan. I really don't know why I'm getting hyped up for her birthday. I was really excited. Well, we are friends so it's okay if I celebrate with her right? I hope the gift and party would make her birthday happy. I reached home faster than I thought I would. 
 
"Keep her busy okay?" I told Youngmin as soon as I entered the house. "Got it," he smiled then left. While her family would help me get ready, Youngmin would be accompanying her. I put down the gift, took materials I needed, then waited for ~~~'s family to come. Mom was already in the kitchen, preparing for the food she'll cook later. I started to draw, cut, and paste for the decorations of the party.
 
After a while her parents and Minwoo came. I greeted them and offered them refreshments. Mom came out of the kitchen and greeted them with a big hug. It's been a long time since they last hang out together so they had a little chitchat first. "I didn't expect you to plan a party for our ~~~, Kwangmin." Auntie told me. "It's been a long time since I last celebrated her birthday. I hope she'd like the surprise party." "How are you and my sister anyway?" Minwoo asked me. "We're… friends," I told them. They showed me a hint of sadness in their faces, "We're sorry, Kwangmi-" I cut them off, "No, no need to say sorry. What happens, happens. It's quite a good thing we're friends. At least there's an improvement right? I should be the one saying sorry." I told them and looked down. "There's nothing to be sorry for. We don't blame you for what happened, you know that right?" Her father told me. I didn't know what to say anymore so I just nodded as my answer. It's been a long time since I last talked to her family like this. 
 
They finished the drinks and Auntie said, "Okay, let's start preparing." We gathered and said "For ~~~'s birthday party, fighting!" altogether. Each of us had work to do. Mom and Auntie were cooking, Uncle was baking cupcakes and cakes, Minwoo went out to buy ice cream, and I was doing the decorations. After the decorations, I also helped with the cooking and baking. We were busy as a bee.
 
Minwoo came back with ice creams, the food Mom and Auntie cooked were done, the cupcakes and cakes made by Uncle were done too, and the decorations were ready. I went upstairs then changed my clothes into this:
 
 
Since we were all set, we put the stuff in the car and drove to ~~~'s house. We arrived in no time then started decorating the place. We put the food and cakes on the table, the ice cream too. We set the table with plates and spoons and forks. We put up balloons on the walls, the "Happy Birthday ~~~" sign I made was on the wall too, and the other decorations I made.
 
After sticking this and that, we looked at the whole place. It looked really colorful. It didn't look like their house anymore. It looked more like a party place. I really hope ~~~ would like this! My phone rang and it was Youngmin calling. "Hello?" "Hey, we'll be home soon. Is everything ready there?" I looked at the whole place before answering, "Yup, all settled." "Okay then, wait for us!" And that ended the call. I looked at the time and it was already near night. Did we really take that long? I told the others ~~~ and Youngmin will be coming home soon. We did a little checking and role call afterwards.
 
It wasn't long after we saw them near the gate already. We closed the lights and hide where we could hide. We heard the door open and the lights flickered open too. We bounced out of our hiding places and shouted, "SURPRISE!" I looked at her and I was stunned. Not only because happiness was written all over her pretty face, but also she looked like a princess. Her face had make up, her hair had curls, and she was wearing a dress that really suits her. I was looking at the most beautiful girl in the whole wide world.
 
Auntie went to her and gave her a hug, "Sweetie, you are so beautiful."
"I thought you all had appointments and meetings and..."
"We just had to prepare for your birthday, of course. That was just an excuse. Happy birthday, sis!" Minwoo walked towards her and hugged her too.
"Thank you so much," she cheerfully said.
"Thanks to Youngmin, we got you busy outside," Uncle told her.
She turned to Youngmin, "That's why you were so suspicious." Youngmin chuckled, "Happy birthday, best friend!" then hugged her. They grouped hug. The sight in front of me was very pleasant. She really looked happy. I was kind of distant, I didn't want to ruin her mood on her special day. Everyone went to the table but she walked towards me and I got really nervous. I needed to put up the cold act.
 
"Hi!" She greeted me. I gave her an annoyed look and said coldly, "Tsch, happy birthday anyway." I was too nervous so I didn't look at her anymore. "You could try looking at me. I think it won't hurt." she teased me then laugh. She went to the table as well. Ouch, that hit me. I could tell there was a hint of sadness when she said those words. Aish, stupid Kwangmin! I regretted acting and talking to her that way. Maybe I could loosen up the coldness right? I saw her talking with my mom. They both looked happy. Well, I'm thankful she liked the party.
 
Somehow, flashbacks occurred in my head. I was spacing out then. I remembered the last time I was at her birthday. 
 
 
FLASHBACK:
 
"Happy birthday!" I hugged her from the back.
"Yah, you scared me. Thank you!" She kissed my cheeks.
"My baby girl is getting older!" I .
"Yeah but not as old as you!" 
 
Aish this girl, I pinched her cheeks then tickled her. We ended up laughing and laughing.
 
"Kwangminnie." she called me.
"Yes?" I leaned my head on her shoulder.
"Promise me you'd be there on all of my birthdays."
"What if something comes up then I couldn't come? Or maybe if I was too busy? Maybe I get late? Or maybe I slept all throughout your birthday? I might forget your birthday? What will I do?!" 
She hit my head a lot of times and said, "Try! I'll kill you."
She stopped and pouted.
"I was just joking," I hugged her tighter, "Of course I'll be there on all of your birthdays, even if it isn't your birthday I'll be there for you."
She smiled, "Promise?" She held up her pinky finger.
I intertwined my pinky with hers, "I promise."
 
END OF FLASHBACK.
 
 
It's been so long since I was with her on her birthday. That last time happened even before her accident. I looked down the whole time until I heard someone call me. "Kwangmin-ah, it's blowing the cake time." I went to the table and stood beside her. I tried to forget about those flashbacks and just smile because I don't want to spoil her birthday. Uncle lighted up the candles and we started singing, "Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you!" We clapped as we sang. I want to be happy for her. I smiled extremely as I can and just thought of happy thoughts. "Happy birthday, dear ~~~! Happy birthday to you!~" I looked at her as she closed her eyes and wished then blew her candles. We all clapped. "Let's all give ~~~ a wish," said Youngmin. Her parents wished for her first, next was Minwoo, then Mom, Youngmin, then me. "Kwangmin, it's your turn." Okay Kwangmin, moment of truth. I breathed in and out first and stated, "Happy birthday ~~~ -ah. I wish you happiness from today and onwards. I hope you enjoy your birthday. I'm sorry for every wrong thing I've done." I started to get emotional, "and I really hope you remember me and everything we had." I said the last sentence in a soft voice. I hope she didn't hear it. I faced her in the end and said, "Happy birthday." I smiled at her. "Thanks!" she smiled at me. Youngmin passed her the cake knife and she sliced the cake then all of us started eating. I took a plate and placed food and cupcakes on it. The food and cupcake really looked yummy!
 
After I took food, I didn't see ~~~ in the room. I looked for her around. I checked outside and saw her sitting on the porch alone. "Seems like the birthday girl is alone," I said as I sat next to her. "You are too." She smiled at me. Awkward silence was in the atmosphere. We didn't talk to each other. I thought of topics to talk about with her. I was getting really nervous.
 
"You look pretty today." I started the conversation.
"Wow, I didn't expect you to say that."
"Really?"
"Everything about you today is so unexpected, you know that?" I just smiled.
"Hey. What's with the sorry for what you've done?" Oops. I didn't see this coming. I immediately thought of something I could answer her.
"For being cold to you, I guess." Winged it.
"Silly." she smiled. 
 
I dropped the now-empty plate on my side since I was already done eating. I thought of words to say to her. I wanted to apologize for being that cold to her a while ago. I wanted to have the courage to speak up. I gulped before saying anything. I was about to say something until someone interrupted. "Someone's getting along." Youngmin, the interrupter, chuckled and lightly punched my arm. "Come, ~~~ -ah! I'll show you something." What? Aish Youngmin, you moment killer. Just when I had my courage to speak, he'd show up. He took her hand, making her stand up. I got frustrated. "Yah, I was with her first!" I told him. "It's just a moment, Kwangmin." I rolled my eyes. "Tsch, whatever." I walked away from them.
 
Why is Youngmin so annoying? Did he really need to get ~~~ immediately? Did he really need to ruin the moment? Just as I would be apologizing he'd gatecrash our alone time. With so much frustration, I scratched my head and kicked whatever was in front of me. I sat on a chair nearby. I gazed at the stars.
 
After a moment of silence, I realized I was overreacting. I guess I just felt like preparing for something that was canceled or something. Pfft, this is where over-thinking and having negative thoughts lead to. But still, I felt sad. It would make me regain my confidence talking to her again because to be honest it was hard. I hope times like that would happen again. Even if we were alone for only a short time and even though silence took over our little conversation, the feeling was still different. I felt the friendship between us, without me being so cold to her. Aish, why are you so stupid Kwangmin? I was walking back to her house as I was having these thoughts in my mind.
 
I entered the house and saw them laughing. I went to the living room where they all sat. They were watching old videos of us when we were kids. I saw myself, ~~~, Youngmin, and Minwoo playing in a bath tub now. I smiled, seeing us when we were kids. It might be embarrassing but it's really fun watching old videos of you from a long time ago. I was crying with ~~~ in the video now. I laughed. "Hahaha! Look at your face, Kwangmin!" I laughed with Youngmin and Minwoo. "That's because of you two." I sticked my tongue out. "That's you?" she asked me. "Yeah. Why?" She doesn't know? Don't tell me… "Your baby face wasn't.. that familiar. I guess." My smile turned into a frown. I weakly smiled at her and said, "I'm used to it," then walked away. The pain was too much. 
 
 
 
 
 
● Sorry for taking a month to update. Jeongmal mianhaeyo! T____T Here's a long chappie to make it up for you guys. Sorry if the story is getting boring. I wrote a chapter for this already but I don't know what happened and I didn't find it anymore. So I have to remake the whole chapter. I'll try to update daily or weekly. This might be on hiatus, or I don't know but I will try to update if I can. Okay? This story got another vote up and it made me really happy! :") Thank you so much. Even though I take too long to update there are still readers who wait for the story. Read, subscribe, and comment! Sorry again! D: