The Marmalade Girl

peanut butter vs marmalade

 

" That's all for today. Enjoy your holiday but don't forget to submit you report about your case studies on 1st August. And for those who wants to do their summer sem please confirm it at office by 6p.m. today. With that, happy holiday guys." Prof. Evergreen ends her lecture for the last day before summer.

Summer semester... nah... I don't need it.. teehee.. I'm planning to spend my holiday with John Grisham novels, which I bought some of his novel... okay 6 of his and couples of other authors... Well you can expect that from a bookworm like me. As I slung my bag across my shoulder, ready to go, someone grabs my arm.

"Dien, do you need to go back to New York this holiday?? I'm gonna be bored if you do. Come on Dien, you know I cannot functioning properly without you. Besides I need to take summer sem just for 1 course.. Can you believe it?? Can you believe it??" Lisa groaning then puckered her lips. Melissa Brown, my housemate and one of my best friend. Also a Law student but stylish one definitely opposite to me. Instead of dull black or grey suit, she wear bright coloured suit with matched high heels.

"No, I don't need to go back. You knew that I want to spend my holidays reading in 'our' house. Why do you mentioned the NY word?? You knew it was like a jinx to me. What subject do you take by the way??" I asked her back. We started to walk out from the lecture hall.

"Court Etiquette. And FYI, its not take... it's retake. Well it's not a surprise for me for this vulgar kid retake her etiquette class," another voice intruding our conversation. Well it's not intruding actually. He is Dean Brown. Yes, another Brown. He is Melissa's twin brother, older just a few minutes (according to Melissa) and my another best friend. Everyone called us the triplet from law faculty and not to mentioned all the students of Yale University knew us. Aside from the point that we are always together, Dean is the most wanted guy for valentine and not to mention Melissa's beauty that incomparable to human being and me... well you can just said that I am a nerdy girl who accept award for my high scores for every semester. " By the way, when those sneakers from your summer collection comes out??? I sneak a peek in your sketch book yesterday and I know the sneakers from the collection is just made for me.. When they come out??" Dean's eyes sparkled when he mention about the sneakers. He is just like a kid to me.. I wonder why the girls want him so bad.

I glared at him, "I already mention to you that my sketch books are off limit. As for punishment... I don't want to give the answer to your questions," then I smiled innocently. 

I think you must be wondering why about New York... summer collections... sketches??? well here's come clean. I am senior law student (you knew that already). I stay at Connecticut just to study law in Yale University because of none other my addiction to legal thriller books (make me wanna learn law). My 'actual' house (where my parents and older sister stayed) is in New York. My parents are businessman/woman and have the largest company in clothes and perfume line. Although I love learning law, I also love sketching.. especially clothes. No one is supposed to know about the sketches thing, not even my parents until they decided to recycle all my high scholls books (where they found my sketches here and there in the school books) and in the end they decided to use my design for their business and what make it worse is... it become a great hit and now sometimes I gave the sketches to my parents and let them decided to use them or not (they never not to use it by the way). Eventhough I design great, fashionable clothes, but I guess I can't design me myself. Besides, I don't really like to fancy myself also. For me, clothes are something you wear for protection. Irony right??

Before I could realized, we already arrived at cafeteria. And I am starving. I bought 3 croissant and takes lots, lots of orange marmalade, my favorite. "Dien, I know that I knew you inside out. But there's one thing that I can't figure out even after we are together for 5 years. Why do you like orange marmalade so much?? Even for dinner you would rather eat bread if there's marmalade then steak. And as for right now, I don't know whether that marmalade or the croissant is the main dish," Melissa sighed. Because it is lunch, she bought fish and chips and Dean bought 2 hot dog.

"Well.. how many times do I have to answer this.. Because orange marmalade makes me happy!!" I chirped. I will have this big addiction toward orange marmalade for my whole life I think. I don't even remember when do I start to like marmalade, well luckily not all marmalade, just orange marmalade. hehe. Summer is perfect with Orange marmalade.