The Accident

Lost in the Now and Found in the Past

Tao’s POV

I look at the photo frame again and sigh.

The guys must be getting worried about me because all they can do is walk past my open dorm door and see me laying on my bed.

Tomorrow I’ll be going back to school and deal with the repercussions of missing so many days.

I start to hum a simple tune in my head and smile when I see her face just for a few seconds.

I remember how she used aegyo on me all the time to get what she wanted but also to make sure I looked only at her, just like she only looked at me.

She was made fun of because she attached herself to me, but what people said about her she never backed away from me.

I wake up and pull my blankets over my head ignoring the loud noise of other members waking up and walking around doing their daily routine.

When Kris walks into my room and pulls me out of my bed. I simply walk over to my closet and grab my things for time at university not that I’ll have to worry about it for much longer.

I decide to walk the long way to school and pass the high school since I have nothing else to do until later.

I pick up my bag and start to walk towards the school I pass the better traditional homes to see a girl race out of her front door with a panda hat on her head with her hands stuffed in a scarf.

She’s wearing a high school uniform the one that I’ll pass to get to Seoul University.

She starts skipping down the short amount of stairs to reach where I’m standing she passes right past me as she hums my tune I made just for Mei Lien.

Your POV

I walk up in a good mood for once and no longer tired.

I go through my morning routine except now I slip into my school uniform ignoring again after school I’ll have to work at my grandparents restaurant even though I have wealthy parents.

Still I sigh as I grab something to eat quickly and pull on my panda scarf hat I received as a present before I moved to Seoul.

I pick up my Gucci school bag and skip open the house doors. I start to hum Panda’s song in my head as I skip down the short amount of steps.

I see a boy that looks not that much older than me as I skip down the steps.

He looks familiar and he looks at me as if he knows me. I ignore him and keep on walking humming Panda’s tune.

I take my hands out of my scarf and pull on my earrings that are white beginner gauges; I bought because of their design.

I hear footsteps behind me I ignore them since I don’t really care at the moment if it’s the panda looking…

I turn around not realizing I walked into the street. I hear a horn blare and then I feel nothing.

Tao’s POV

I follow her because she’s heading the same way as me.

I keep repeating her name in my mind never gaining the confidence to say it aloud.

I keep repeating her name until she turns back looking at me with shocked eyes.

I hear a car horn blare as it tries to not hit her, but its to late.

The first thing to come to my mind was run up to see if she’s alright.

I run up to her and see that she might just ber Mei Lien.

I hear people panicking yelling call an ambulance but all I care is if she’s alright.

I check her pulse glad when I feel one.

I pull out my phone and call an ambulance telling them there has been an accident.

It’s not much later an ambulance shows up.

During the duration of time from where I called to when they arrived my phone had ringed ten times probably the guys trying to get a hold of me.

Still I’m shocked to know that this high school girl might just be myr Mei Lien.

My Mei Lien might be on the brink of death.

When the ambulance shows up they ask if anyone has touched her and I raised my hand still looking down at the blood on them.

The EMT makes me walk to the bed of the vehicle and starts ranting when she see’s who I am.

Still I hear nothing I just keep going through the steps of when I saw Mei Lien and to when she was hit by the car.

I hear an EMT speak, “I have a daughter her age. What a tragic thing to happen.”

Its silent in the vehicle until I hear them tell me that I should ride with them since I’m in pretty bad shock. I simply nod my head and sit down in front of Mei Lien.

The EMT’s move around in the bed of the ambulance making noise.

They must have grabbed the girl’s bag they open it to find her wallet.

They pull out her student ID and read off her name, Mei Lien.

I feel a tear run down my face.

I was right this girl is my Mei Lien.

She might die.

I see a chain on around her neck.

I pull at it to see it’s the panda necklace that I had given her when she moved away ten years ago.

Poking the panda’s nose is a shard of glass, the only shard on her body.

If she wasn’t wearing the necklace it would have stabbed her and who knows how far it would have gone.

An EMT sees the necklace and says, “She’s a lucky girl if it wasn’t for that necklace she probably would be in a more critical condition.”

I hear the other EMT agree quietly.

I feel a hand on my arm and look up to see the EMT that has been moving around in the ambulance look at me worried.

“Are you alright Tao-ssi?”

I shake my head and stare ahead.

The EMT sits next to me, “Tao-ssi you must be very emotional or know this girl, either way you should contact the members of Exo-M and tell them that you’ll be at the hospital and that you are not the one hurt.”

I nod and text the others what she told me to tell them.

I ignore their answers and their calls.

“You knew this girl didn’t’ you?”

I  don't' know how to answer that outloud. I can hardly move.

This is Mei Lien and she's hurt, because I couldn't say hi to her.

This is all my fault. This is worse than an accident.