Nine

Music

 

 

Chapter 9


 


 

“Do Kyungsoo, Do Kyungsoo, where are you?” Hawook hums to herself as she checks out each and every classroom in the school, ignoring the fleeting looks she gets from the students.

 

“Do Kyungsoo, Do Kyungsoo, where are you?” She repeats. “Well, wherever you are, I’m going to find you.”

 

---

 

“So you said you would do anything to stay right?” Director Do asked. Hawook swallowed hard before replying with a nod. “Then how about this? Look for a student named Do Kyungsoo and bring back the music in him. Make him love music again. If you will be able to do that, you can stay. Teacher Do can stay…”

 

Hawook, after receiving the school director’s condition, spent the rest of the school break finding information about that “Do Kyungsoo”. Renting a computer on an internet café, Hawook readily searched the name on their school’s database, in which it ly a profile of a student with no picture at all. It was weird, she thought. Students were required to have a 2x2 picture attached to that profile. She then tried her luck at social networking sites, trying every name she can think of. However, searching for him turned zero results.

 

One article in the related searches caught her eye though. It was someone named D.O. and the article talks about him winning an annual singing competition.

“D.O., Gangnam Performing Arts School top student, proves himself worthy of his position at school after winning the annual Chuseok signing competition…”

 

Hawook re-read that line. “Gangnam Performing Arts School top student…” Hawook may not be the smartest girl on the campus but she’s smart enough to somehow relate the guy’s screen name, D.O. to Kyungsoo’s surname, Do. Aside from that, he wouldn’t appear in the related searches if in one way or another, they aren’t related, right? She continued to read the article and was glad when she found a picture of the competition winner attached to the article.

 

But the picture was not much of a help. Even though it was big, yes big enough to have it as a desktop wallpaper, the shot of D.O. was the problem. D.O’s picture was him in his most glorious part of his singing – him belting a high note neck veins protruding against his skin as he hit the notes and his eyes shut.

 

Hawook rested on the backrest of her chair as she sighed. How will this picture help her? She can’t even make up what he really looks like. Nevertheless, Hawook stared at D.O.’s picture a little longer than she’s supposed to, admiring his features – those long eyelashes and plump lips. ‘He’s cute,’ Hawook thought and mentally slapped herself. ‘What the heck were you thinking?’

 

She may not have gotten the exact information where she can find him and what he really looks like. But at least Hawook got a few information about him – that they’re both in the same year and that he is still attending GPAS. Things she’s not sure how she can use. Despite that, at least she has gotten a bonus and that is someone named D.O. Are they related? Or are they the same person? That’s up to Hawook to figure out.

---

 

Continuing her search for Kyungsoo, Hawook’s now checks the performing arts section of the school when she did not find him in any single classroom she checked. She peeks through the music room which was currently full of student practicing their musical instruments. Excusing herself, she asked them if they have seen or if they know someone named Do Kyungsoo but all she got is a moment of silence and glares. She gets the same response from the people in the recording room and theater arts room, much to her disappointment.

 

“Is there not even a single person who’d want to talk to me?” Hawook said furiously. “It won’t take long anyway. Damn you elitists!”

 

Not losing hope, she continued searching for him continually checking out the rooms for performing arts.  And now, there’s only one room she hasn’t check – the dance studio. She hesitated going there, thinking that it’s impossible for a student who majors in music to be in a dance studio. But in the end she decided she’d go.

 

Hawook opened the studio’s door slowly and quietly. Slow music greeted her and Hawook curiously peeked through the small opening. And there behind the wooden doors of the dance studio, amidst the beautiful slow music, a boy was dancing.

 

No words can comprehend the amazement she’s feeling as she watched the boy execute graceful and fluid dance moves. He was glowing under the several studio lights open made more striking by the sunlight beaming through the room’s glass windows. Hawook has never seen anyone dance like this before. Neither did she watch anyone dance emitting so much emotion that their dance feels like it’s telling the audience a story with each move of their arms, legs, with their body. Soon enough, the boy’s dance ended with him doing a hip and grabbing the crotch of his pants.

 

“Wow…” Hawook whispered and clapped her hands without making a sound. She doesn’t want to make the boy think she’s a creep or a stalker or whatever of the same kind if ever he finds out she’s peeking through a small gap in the studio’s door.

 

But then, he found out (it was only then that Hawook realized there’s a mirror in the dance studio which showed the partly open door).

 

“Why don’t you come inside?” he said as he sits down on the shiny wooden floor beside, which made Hawook’s heart skipped a beat. The boy drank a mouthful of water and said, “It’s better if you come in instead of just peeking through the door like a creep.”

 

‘So he knows. Of course he knows, you stupid. See that reflection in the mirror?’ Hawook said to herself. There’s no reason to hide or run away now so she entered the room and stood by the doorway bowing slightly before clearing and murmuring a “Sorry”.

 

The guy just stared at her blankly, examining her from head to toe. Hawook fiddles the hem of her vest nervously as the guy continues to look at her with emotionless eyes. His cold expression added to her nervousness but made stirred up curiosity as to what was going on his mind.

 

After a few moment of silence and exchange of glances and stares, the guy heaved a deep sigh as he takes out a pen and a blank piece of paper out of his bag. Hawook on the other hand just watched him in confusion as the guy scribbles something on the paper finishing with a dot.

 

“Here,” he said handing the paper to Hawook.

Hawook looked at the paper and realized that he wasn’t scribbling nor doodling but doing an autographed. “What is this?” She asked as he took the paper from the boy.

“My signature,” he replied rolling his eyes and sneering.

“I know. What I mean is why are you giving this to me?”

The guy raised an eyebrow and stood up to fetch his towel hanging on the steel bars of the studio. “Why? Didn’t you come here for that?”

Hawook gave him the same puzzled look she was given. “Huh? No. I didn’t.”

 

The guy muttered an ‘Oh’ and rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed that he got Hawook’s motives wrong. He clears his throat, “Then what did you come here for?”

 

Hawook felt relieved that someone was now willing to listen and talk to her. “About that, I…” But the bell rang signaling the end of lunch break, disappointing Hawook. She bid goodbye to the young man in front of him for she did not want to be late for her next class (she wouldn’t want to add tardiness to her list of bad record). Something which made the guy a little surprised.

 

“W-wait! Are you going now?” the guy said. “You haven’t finished asking me about the thing you came for!”

 

“It’s okay. I can find you here anyway, right?” Hawook ask as she wave a goodbye and exits the door leaving the guy dumbfounded. She came back soon though. “And oh, thank you for giving a few minutes of your time. I was glad someone finally talked to me. Also,” Hawook lifted the piece of paper with the guy’s signature. “I’ll take this. I suggest though, you make a better autograph. Thanks again, Kai.”With that Hawook left.

 

Kai stared at the open door. A smile (which was more of a smirk) formed in his face. He chuckles while picking up his bag and leaving the dance studio.

 

“Crazy girl.” 


 

 

[A/N]

I updated :3~~ And there’s a guy in this chapter. It’s not Kyungsoo though. It’s our y dancer, Kai/Jongin! So what do you think will be Jongin’s role? Will he be a friend or a love interest? Guess, guess!! And if ever there are grammar/spelling mistakes, I'll try to correct them later (something which I should have done by now on the previous chapter -.- )

Until then, bye! Don’t forget to leave comments as well as subscribe. I live off by them. Thanks ~