Eight

Music

 

Chapter Eight

 


 

Today, on a sunny Monday is the start of a new school year at Gangnam Performing Arts School. Currently the most prestigious performing arts school in the country it was also the best. Not all who wants to enter the school gets to be admitted though, because not only you got to have the money to pay for the expensive tuition fee, but also because you got to have the talent.

 

Students who came from well-off families enter the school by their shiny, luxury cars – Ferrari, BMW, Lamborghini – name it and they have it. And among this sea of cars that flock the parking area of the school, a student stood out.

 

Unlike the others who came to school in their expensive cars matched with suit-wearing chauffer, this student came by foot as she is currently residing in a dorm a few meters from the school. She hand-combed her curly hair flattening the hairs that stick out but gave up when they just won’t follow what she wants to happen. She also straightened her new uniform, smiling at the school logo sewn on her cream knitted vest.  

 

She can’t believe she’s going to study at the country’s top performing arts school. It was just only yesterday that she was telling herself that maybe playing the piano and singing are things she weren’t meant to do. But now that she’s in front of the school’s main hall, she now thinks that she’s meant to be with music after all.

 

Hawook steps inside the noisy hall and took a chair on the newcomer’s side. Students give her weird stares, some even whisper to each other as she passes by. She checks out her uniform for dirt or wrinkled parts but it was clean and perfectly ironed. ‘Is it because of my hair?’ She thought and hand-combed it right away. However, she just shrugs at the glances she was given and sat at the chair, waiting for the ceremony to begin while fiddling with the hem of her vest. Not long after Hawook has taken her seat, the noise-filled gym instantly became quiet, when the principal went up the stage and announces that the welcoming ceremony will begin shortly.

 

The ceremony began with the whole school singing the national anthem. The school principal gave his opening remarks after and short performances by the school’s top students followed. However when a particular student named Do Kyungsoo was asked  to come up on stage and sing, no one in the crowd stood and came up.

 

Hawook heard two students talking about the supposed to be performer and how up to now he has never sung again and how they miss his voice. She wants to ask them who he was but even before she could ask them, a school faculty asked the newcomers to come up on stage (they probably won’t even talk to her considering the weird glances and whisper Hawook got). Because of anxiousness, Hawook almost tripped as she took a step on the stage’s stairs. It was just the opening ceremony yet she already made herself a laughing stock. ‘What a good way to start the school year, Hawook. Just perfect,’ she told herself.

 

They were then introduced to the school, the newcomers who were scholars as well. But most are disinterested probably because they got more rivals. Hawook stood in line together with the other school neophytes. She saw Samdong sitting on the teacher’s side and immediately gave him a small wave and her usual cheerful smile. Samdong waved back at him and whispered ‘Hwaiting!’

 

Soon she was the one to shake hands with the school director. School director Do gave her a warm smile congratulating her for becoming a scholar and gave her hand a squeeze as he says good luck to Hawook. Hawook thanked him and promise to “… do my best!”

 

The ceremony ended not long after with the students singing the alma mater song. Hawook stepped out of the school’s main hall, a smile spread across her face.

 

She can’t help but be thankful. Firstly to fate for letting her and music’s path intertwine. To Samdong, who taught her piano even for a short while; who took care of her as well when the school hasn’t started yet and; for persuading her parents in letting her in the academy. And most of all to her father who, at the very last minute, had let her come to Gangnam. Without the permission of fate and without the help of these people, she won’t be where she is right now. And that’s why she can’t help but be grateful.

 

As Hawook makes her way to the main building, someone flung an arm around her shoulders.

“Songsaenim!” She exclaimed.

Samdong chuckled. “Just call me Teacher Do. I’m known by that around here,” he said and ruffled Hawook’s already unmanageable hair earning a glare from her student. “Now that you’re here, do your best, okay?”

“I’ll definitely do my best.”

Samdong clenched a knuckle. “Let’s both do our best.”

Hawook nodded and fist bumped Samdong. “Teacher do and Samdong, fighting!”

 

---

 

Days, weeks, months have passed since Hawook has entered the performing arts school. She got used to living in the city and living alone in her dorm only to be visited by Teacher Do once in a while. But one thing she is still not used to and never will be the weird glances and whispers she gets from classmates and students in school.

 

 She tried changing her appearance by having her curly hair straightened using the money she saved that was supposed to be the money for buying a new phone. She even practiced, rather changed the way she speaks, removing her country accent and trying to speak like a Seoul native. But despite the changes she has made in herself, the way her classmates and schoolmates look at her did not change at all.

 

Time really pass by so quickly that the first term has finally ended and grades are out. Hawook nervously squeeze herself through a small crowd of students looking at the bulletin board. She scans the name of students looking for her name and her grade. Her anxiety heightened when she did not see her name together with her classmates. ‘Could it be that I belong to…’ Hawook thought nervously. She shook that thought and scanned the list again. When she did not find her name, she decided to check the Red Paper.

 

Moving to the right corner of the bulletin board, Hawook scanned the names of the students placed on a red paper. In Gangnam Performing Arts School, the names of the students listed on the infamous Red Paper means only one thing – which they could be kicked out mainly because of their low grades and performance. On that day twenty names are printed on the paper and to Hawook’s dismay, her name was there.

She squeezed herself out of the crowd and went back to her room, her head hung low. Hawook’s disappointed at herself. But she admits she also deserved it. Not only did she not focus on the basic subjects taught, it was also wrong of her for not knowing even the basics of music.

 

“You can’t identify this note?” she remembers her music teacher said furiously, earning a laugh from her classmates.

Hawook scratches her head and hesitantly said, “Uh, yes.”

Her teacher did not reply anymore and just rolled her eyes.

 

Hawook slumps over her desk and stared outside the window watching the fluffy clouds glide slowly across the blue sky. The nice weather was of no help in making her feel better.

“I’m doomed,” Hawook said ruffling her hair and kicking the legs of her desk.

While she was whining over her bad grades a classmate tapped her shoulder.

“Hey, country girl. Teacher Do is looking for you.”

 

Hawook went out of the room practically dragging herself. It’s the time she doesn’t want to see Teacher Do for she doesn’t want him to know that she’s one of the school’s bottom students. She doesn’t want to know how disappointed she feels. But more than that, she doesn’t want him to be disappointed. Because the moment she’s out of the school, Teacher Do will be out as well.

 

Teacher Do was waiting for her outside their classroom and immediately gave her a small smile the instant he saw her. ‘He knows,’ Hawook thought. ‘Of course he knows. He’s a teacher.’

 

“Sorry,” Hawook immediately said, her voice faint. Teacher Do did not reply and patted her shoulders instead.

“It’s okay. Let’s just do better next time.”

Hawook forced a smile. “But Teacher Do…”

“Hmm?”

“Will there still be a next time?”

Teacher Do looked at her and smiled. “I’ve failed to do my best in this school in all those years that I have taught here. And because of that, I was always on the brink of being fired. But look, I’m still here. And that’s because I was given a next time to do my best.”

Hawook heaved a deep sigh before giving a reply. “But that was before I was not here. This time, because of me you won’t be given a next time anymore. You were the one who told me that if I ever get kicked out of this school, you’ll be kicked out too.”

 

Teacher Do thought that Hawook is right. He tries to cheer her up but deep inside he’s nervous too. He doesn’t want to be fired and above all that, he doesn’t want Hawook to go home empty handed. He doesn’t want her parents to get upset.

 

“Don’t worry Hawook. The teachers together with the principal and the school director will still talk about this matter. Don’t worry. I’ll try to defend you,” Teacher Do said.

“Really?”

Teacher Do nodded. “Yes. I promise, I won’t be fired and you won’t be kicked out.”

 

---

 

Hawook waits outside the conference room where the teachers, together with Principal Lee and Director Do are having a meeting about the students whose names were placed in the Red Paper. Even though she knows eavesdropping is a bad thing to do, she presses her ears against the door of the conference room, listening intently.

 

“So here’s the list of students that are in danger of getting expelled,” she heard the principal say.

 

Principal Lee gave the director the names of the students. Director Do reads the students’ names while Principal Lee points out to him the reasons why they got in the listening even mentioning the grades of the students. The director however looks disinterested only nodding or murmuring an ‘hmm’ to what Principal Lee has to say. One name on the list caught his attention though.

 

“Song Hawook?” Director Do said out loud interrupting Principal Lee. “Isn’t this the student you’re taking care of Teacher Do?”

Teacher Do cleared his throat. “Apparently, yes.”

“Looks like you chose the wrong person for the condition I gave you.”

 

“Well, when was it that Teacher Do made a right decision?” Teacher Shin whispered which Teacher Do heard perfectly well but chose to ignore it.

 

“Um actually, no. She’s really good. Maybe she’s just um, you know is still trying to adapt to her new environment,” Teacher Do said.

“Principal Lee chuckled. “Are four months not yet enough for her to get used to Gangnam?”

 

Teacher Do started stuttering as Principal Lee lectures him on how he should be the one guiding Hawook. The director however, wasn’t even listening to them. He was still scanning the list of students.

 

“If there’s one responsible for this, it should be you, Teacher Do. Bringing someone who doesn’t even know a thing about she’s going to do…” Principal Lee said finishing his lecture.

 

Teacher Do was about to say something but Teacher Shin butted in.

 

“I’m sorry to in but I just thought of something. If that student is really that good to the point you chose her as a scholar, shouldn’t she not let those kinds of things bother her? Teacher Shin said. “I mean if you really love to do something wouldn’t you give your best in doing it?”

 

Principal Lee couldn’t agree more. Teacher Do on the other hand just ignored him inhaling and exhaling deep breaths and clenching his knuckles tight.

 

“I’m sorry I won’t let this happen again next time.” Teacher Do said bowing slightly.

Principal Lee scoffed. “Of course this won’t happen again. Because after this you’ll surely be fired.”

 

Hawook who was still eavesdropping gasped. ‘I cannot let that happen! I have to do something!’ Hawook thought. ‘Aish! It’s your entire fault!’

 

Finally, after being silent, the director spoke up. “Are you all done?” The conference room suddenly became quiet. “Looks like you are. Then, I would be now giving the names of the students who unfortunately, will have to leave the school.”

Teacher Do and Hawook both listen intently their hearts pounding rapidly against their chest. Their fingers crossed as they both prayed that Hawook will be able to stay and that Teacher Do won’t be fired. Director Do reads the students name one by one and each time he reads a name, Hawook and Teacher Do’s hearts skip a beat.

 

“And lastly,” Director Do continued. “I’m sorry to say this but Teacher Do, your student, Song Hawook is also included.”

 

Teacher Do swallowed hard. “Will your decision not change, director?” he asked nervously.

“I’m sorry Teacher Do, but no. Next times, second chances? They have limitations.”

 

Hawook’s heart is broken into pieces after hearing what the director just said. Tears began to well up in her eyes. But she is still determined to do something – to help herself and to help Teacher Do. Wiping the tears slowly falling down her cheeks, Hawook decided to do someone wouldn’t even dare do.

 

“H-how dare you enter this room!” Principal Lee shouted when Hawook opened the door and came in without any hesitation. But Hawook ignored him and went straight to the director and Teacher Do who had both dumbfounded expressions on their faces.

 

“H-Hawook, you’re not allowed here. W-what-“ Teacher Do wasn’t able to finish his sentence as Hawook began to speak up.

 

Hawook gave the director a ninety-degree bow which surprised him. “Please director, I’m begging you. Please don’t kick me out of the school. Please don’t fire Teacher Do,” she said. “If you’re going to kick me out, at least don’t fire teacher. It’s my fault for not studying hard. Please director, give me another chance, and give Teacher Do another chance…”

 

The director continued to stare at Hawook with an amused expression on her face. He tells the Principal and Teacher Do to let Hawook do what she wants to do and say what she wants to say when they tried dragging her out of the room.

 

“Please director. Please let us stay here. I’ll do anything you want just to stay here!” Hawook continued still keeping her bowing position

 

“Director Do chuckled. “I’ve never seen a student do this. You’re the very first time to beg to me like this. You must surely love to study music.”

“I really do. So please, give me another chance.”

 

Director Do told Hawook to lift her head up and Hawook did as she was told. “So you said you would do anything to stay right? Then how about this?” And the director told Hawook what she would have to do.

 

“What do you think?”

“Even though I don’t know who that person is, I’ll find him and do what you want me to do.” Hawook said.

Director Do chuckled again and gave Hawook a squeeze on her shoulder. “Then I wish you good luck.”

Hawook nodded. “I promise I’ll do my best!” With that she gave a final bow to the director as a thank you and went out of the room but even before she could finally left, the director called her again.

 

“Remember Ms. Song to do your best! Teacher Do’s career depends on you.”

“Yes director, I will!” Hawook said waving goodbye with a big smile on her face.

 

Director Do and Teacher Do watched Hawook with a big smile on their faces. The Principal Lee and Teacher Shin on the other hand had a shocked expression on their faces. Some of the faculty was shocked too others were amused with Hawook’s bravery.

 

“No wonder you chose her, Teacher Do,” Director Do said as they watch Hawook happily skipping the corridors. “She’s something to watch out for and…”

“And?” Teacher Do asked.

“And she’s very much like you.”

 

Teacher Do laughed. ‘Very much like me?’ he thought. ‘Well, maybe.’


 

[A/N]

Annyeong~~!!! I updated again~ :3 This one is a lot longer than the others :O and this is the last chapter wherein I wanted to establish how Hawook and Kyungsoo will be related~ Next chaps will be soon about them so I hope you’ll be anticipating it! Don’t forget to comment guys and subscribe too ^_^` If there are any grammatical mistakes and spelling errors, I’ll try to correct them later.

 

‘Til next time~ Bye!