Seven

Music

Chapter 7


 

 

“You teach at a performing arts school?”

“Yes and not just any performing arts school. I teach at Gangnam Performing Arts School,” Samdong proudly said and boasted how the school he is currently teaching at is the best in the country.

Hawaook’s eyes widened. “The best in the country? Wow…” Her eyes sparkled in delight like a child given something she really wants

 

Samdong smiled at her childish behavior and how she gets so amaze by such small things. However, her smile faded too quickly. Samdong noticed it and decided to ask his student.

“What’s wrong?”

 

Hawook heaved a deep sigh and gently glided her fingers across the piano’s keys making a random sound that goes from a high pitch to low pitch.

“Well,” she said as she keeps sliding her fingers across the keyboard. Samdong just stared at her waiting for her reply. “It’s just that… I can’t attend it… You know, even though I want to.”

She pressed the last key on the piano which makes the lowest note. It made a loud sound on the silent music room echoing as the sound hits the corners, walls and ceilings.

 

Samdong felt a twinge in his heart and something blocking his throat. He doesn’t know what to say to his student. Instead he just extended a hand and gave Hawook a reassuring pat on the shoulder.

 

“Don’t worry songsaenim, I’m fine. You don’t have to feel sorry for me.” Hawook said as if reading Samdong’s mind. She gave her teacher a small smile and went back to playing the new music piece she was taught, still with passion and enthusiasm.

 

Samdong sighed and nodded to himself. He was amazed at how Hawook is still optimistic despite the fact that she cannot do something she really loves. He continued to wonder how he will be able to help Hawook. ‘Come on Samdong. I know you can do something. Think.’ He told himself.

 

 Samdong continued to dig deeper in his thoughts as he continues to teach Hawook the new music piece. He was so busy teaching Hawook and was so immersed in his thoughts that he almost jumped in his seat when his phone started ringing.

 

“Ah, sorry,” he said to Hawook who had a shock expression on her face. “Just continue doing what I taught you.” He excused himself and went out of the room, opening its sliding glass doors.

 

Samdong answered the call and was surprised to hear his brother speaking at the end of the line.

 

“Soohan-hyung! What made you call? Is there anything you need? Or would you want me to go back there already?”

He hears a chuckle as a reply. “No, no. I just want to know how you’re doing there. Are you enjoying your vacation?”

“Ah, yes hyung. I do.”

“That’s good to hear. Also, I wanted to know if you have found a student that you will look after.”

 

Samdong gasped. He almost forgot about it, his brother’s condition so he could stay at the academy.

 

“There is one condition though, for you to be able to stay here.” He remembers the director tell him. “Find someone to be a student in our school. Take care of him. In short, whoever you will choos,e will be your protégé. But it doesn’t stop there. You have to be able to make him debut. You have to make him famous…”

 

“Hello, Samdong? Are you still with me?”

“A-ah, yes.”

“So have you found your student yet?”

 

Samdong didn’t answer right away. He can’t say no for he didn’t want to disappoint his brother. But he can’t say yes either for he has not yet found someone worthy of his time, his training, of fame. That is until an idea came to his mind.

 

“My apprentice? Ah yes, I think I’ve found the one.”

“Really? You think that person’s worth it?

“Yes. There’s no other person suited for this matter. This person’s definitely worth it.”

 

The school director congratulated Samdong and he thanked him back. Just as when he disconnected the call, the music room’s door slid open.

 

“Songsaenim! Taehee-songsaenim just came by. She said we should join her for snacks. Come on!” Hawook said.

“Really? Great! I’m coming!”

 

---

 

The sun was already casting pink and red orange rays across the shiny wooden floors of the music room when Hawook and Samdong finished their lesson for that day. Hawook was now stuffing her things inside her bag and bid her teacher a good bye.

 

“I’ll be going now, songsaenim. Thanks for teaching me again today. I learned a lot.”

Samdong chuckled. “I’m glad you did. See you again tomorrow and be careful on your way home.”

Hawook bowed and went out of the room, leaving Samdong.

 

Samdong fixes his things and puts them inside his bag. And just as when he finished cleaning the piano and was about to close the glass sliding door, a voice in his mind suddenly spoke.

 

‘Aren’t you forgetting something, Samdong?’ It said. ‘You’re already going back to Gangnam next week. Surely, aren’t you forgetting something?’

 

He immediately shut the door, picked up his things and stormed out of the room and out of the school, looking for Hawook. He saw her about to turn a corner, childishly skipping as she walks.

 

“Hawook! Hawook! Wait!”

 

Hawook, who just turned a corner stopped and looked back to the person calling her.

“Songsaenim?” she said to herself. “Did I forget something?”

 

She started checking her bag when a panting Samdong approached her.

“Songsaenim, did I forget something?” she asked. Samdong waved his hands a reply. “Why did you have to catch up to me then?”

 

Samdong was finally able to catch his breath. “Can I come with you to your house?” He asked straightforwardly.

 

“Eh?”

 

---

 

“You should have informed us if you are coming,” Hawook’s mother said as she pours warm tea on Samdong’s cup. “By that, we could have at least cooked something special for dinner.”

 

Samdong thanked Hawook’s mother for the tea. “You don’t have to. It was a bit urgent so I wasn’t able to inform you. So yeah, I’m sorry.”

 

“Oh you don’t have to apologize, songsaenim,” Hawook’s father who sat beside his wife said. “Also, I want to thank you for teaching our dear Hawook even without pay.”

 

“Don’t mention it. Hawook’s a really good student,” Samdong said and patted Hawook’s shoulder. “She learns really fast.” Hawook smiled and thanked him for the compliment and so did her parents.

 

“So what brings you here, songsaenim?” Mr. Song asked. “You won’t be here if you won’t be talking about something important, right?”

 

“Ah, about me coming here,” Samdong took a sip of his warm tea and dig into his bag. He pulled out some papers and folders which seem to be brochures about the school he is teaching at and some registration forms and scholarship forms. He placed it on the table and Hawook together with her mom and dad looked at it with curiosity.

 

“Hawook is really a talented girl. She’s a good pianist even though she did not have proper training at all. She plays the piano by ear which is an amazing talent. And to add to that she got a beautiful voice,” Samdong said while Hawook’s parent continue to look at the papers he took out of his bag.

“The moment I heard her sang and played random music in the piano, I know that if properly coached, she’ll get better and maybe, someday, be known. That’s why, I came here to ask if-“

 

“No.” Mr. Song said as if he knows what was on Samdong’s mind and put down the forms and brochures Samdong took out. “I’m sorry, but no.” He repeated sternly.

 

Samdong tried again. He just can’t give up easily. Not only will he be able to help Hawook, she will be able to help him as well. “Mr. Song let me explain first. If you’re worrying about the expenses, don’t worry. Hawook will be a scholar, a full scholar that is. The school will pay for her tuition and together with that, she’ll be provided with a dorm near the school. You see you don’t have to worry.”

 

But Hawook’s father doesn’t look convinced. Her mother however, was and was trying to persuade her husband in agreeing to the contract but he kept his stand.

 

“I respect your decision,” Samdong finally said. “But I hope you would reconsider. Please don’t let your daughter’s talent go to waste.” With that, he stood up and bid Hawook and her parents a goodbye.

 

Samdong clutched the leaflets of Gangnam Performing Arts School tightly and sighed deeply. Is this his end? Will he ever teach again? Questions flooded his mind. To add to that is his dear student’s condition. Will Hawook’s talent be hidden forever? Will she be just dreaming forever? He heaved again another sigh and prayed that it won’t happen.

 

---

 

It was a rainy Sunday morning. The sky is gray and rain is pouring non-stop. There was silence in Samdong’s room as he packs up except for the sound of the rain hitting the glass windows and roof tiles. He patted his luggage after fixing his things and went out of his room.

 

“Ready to go?” Taehee who was waiting outside for him asked. He nodded as a reply and together they went out in the rain, umbrellas clasped in their hands.

 

They passed by the traditional houses and Samdong takes a good look at them. He wants another to take another second look at the place he stayed at for a short time and reminisce the good times he had as well as people he met Samdong never thought he would. Soon, they arrived at the street where Hawook’s house was located. He stopped in his tracks and stared at his student’s home at the end of the street.

 

He wished the door would burst open and an enthusiastic Hawook would come out, with her usual smile plastered on her face and she would be telling him that her parents agreed to his conditions and that she would finally go with him. But it doesn’t happen. He whispered a sad good bye and continued to walk together with Taehee.

 

In a little while, they arrived at the bus stop. Samdong and Taehee sat at the waiting shed, chatting endlessly while waiting for Samdong’s bus to arrive. Their laughter echoes across the quiet avenue but it was immediately stopped when Samdong heaved a deep sigh.

 

“What’s wrong?” Taehee asked.

“Nothing really,” Samdong replied and gave his friend a small smile. “It’s just that I might come back here again sooner that you would expect.”

Taehee giggled. “What are you talking about?” She asked even though she perfectly knew what Samdong meant by what he said.

 

Even before Samdong could reply, the bus arrived. He bid Taehee goodbye who gave his hand a reassuring squeeze.

 

“Don’t worry about it Samdong. You won’t get fired.”

“Thanks. But if ever I come back here, I think I won’t regret it. At least I’ll be able to teach Hawook again.”  Taehee shook her head and softly nudged Samdong. He chuckled and hugged her, bid his final goodbye and boarded the bus.

 

When all passengers have boarded, the bus went off. Samdong waved goodbye to Taehee at the slightly open window of the bus. Samdong then put his hand back and relaxed in his seat.

 

He sighed to himself and smiled. ‘Let’s just wish that I won’t be seeing this place soon.’ He shook his head dispelling all the negative thoughts that enter his mind. But in the midst of it, he hears someone calling his name. He hears someone call teacher.

 

“Wait!” 


 

[A/N]

Helllllllllllllooooooo!!!! At last! After a long time of not updating I’ve finally updated! *Throws confetti*

Sorry for the very late update guys~ School kept me so busy >< But now is our sem break and I’ll try to update this as often as I can :) I hope you did not unsubscribe :O Also forgive my English and my usage of words which seem redundant. English is my second language so yeah, my english vocabulary isn't as good as the others. 

Anyways, about the chapter, I think I made it longer than the previous ones and incorporated more than one um, scene (?). I’m trying to summarize the events so we could go to the main point in the story. I can’t wait to write the chaps with Kyungsoo :”>

Hope you like this and don’t forget to comment! Thanks as well to those who subscribe even though I’m not updating this often. And because of that I’ll give you kimchi-spaghetti-that’s-so-good-you’ll-faint.

Until the next update! Bye-yeom!