Four

Music

 

Chapter 4


 

Hawook decided that maybe, it’s not what God wants her to do. Maybe it’s not her destiny. Maybe she is ought to do something different.  Maybe a teacher, a nurse, an engineer but not a musician.

 

Hawook went down the wall and approached the school’s music room. Pressing her hands against the glass sliding door of the room, she stared at the piano situated at the corner illuminated the orange glow of an incandescent bulb.

 

She heaved a deep sigh and told herself that maybe she’s not really meant to be together with music. Giving up, she turned her back against the music room headed to climb the wall and go out of the kindergarten’s ground. That is until she heard a click.

 

Hawook froze. Did somebody see her trespass? ‘Oh, God,’ she thought. She stayed where she was, not making a single move. She waited for someone to shout at her, to tell her that they’ll be calling the police because she trespassed but not even a single sound can be heard.

 

Hawook turned around and saw the door slightly ajar. She scanned the area looking for a person even an animal that opened the door. However there was none.

 

Hawook let a sigh of relief and looked at the slightly open door. Just a moment ago, she decided to go home but now, she wanted to stay. And not only to stay. She wanted to enter the music room and play the piano. The sight of the small opening in the door tempts Hawook to go inside just like how a mouse trap with cheese would lure a hungry rat.

 

Hawook swallowed hard and debated with herself whether she would go inside and play the piano or if she would just go home.

 

‘Just this time, Lord, just this time! I promise I won’t do this again.’

 

Hawook inhaled deeply and gently slid the glass door of the music room. She steps in and admired the tiny room decorated with things related to music. Then she focused her gaze on the shiny brown upright piano propped on a side of the room. She approached the piano making soft squeaking noises on the floorboard.

 

‘Beautiful…’ that was all Hawook could say.  She sat on a brown chair placed in front of the piano and gently lifted the piano’s lid revealing its glossy black and white keys. Hawook’s eyes sparkled in delight. She looked around the place to see if someone is around and found the place deserted. She started to press the keys randomly listening to the different pitch it makes.

 

She felt giddy being able to touch a piano again. The last time she remembers touching one was when she was just a preschooler who attended the very same school where she was right now. And during those times as well did she realize that she loves music. Did she realize what her dream is.

 

She closed her eyes as she tries to remember how the song played by the teacher sounded like. Then with her fingers, she gently presses each key trying to figure out which ones make the same sounds to the song she heard. She started singing the song when she found out how it was played.

 

“In a little stream there’s a tadpole

Wriggle, wriggle, wriggles around.

Hind legs out, forelegs out.

Hoping, hoping he became a frog

Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle, wriggle, wriggle, wriggle, a tadpole.

Hind legs out, forelegs out

Hoping, hoping he became a frog.”

 

Hawook played three rounds of the song. After playing for the third time, she stopped and stared at the piano. A smile slowly formed in her face. She felt so happy, so happy that she was able to play the piano and sing without anyone stopping her. So happy even though she was able to play one just because she trespassed and used the piano without permission. And all of the nervous and scary feeling she had moments ago were gone, replaced by a happy and blissful feeling.

 

Hawook started pressing the piano keyboard randomly with her eyes closed. And even though they were just random notes, she was able to harmonize them, creating a beautiful rhythm, a sound or music if that’s what you call it. She was so into it she forgot that she did not ask for any permission to use the instrument. She opened her eyes when she was done but the next thing that happened surprised her.

 

Someone applauded.

 

Hawook felt her heart dropped in surprise and she almost fell in her seat. She turned around and saw a guy in his early thirties smiling at her and clapping his hands.

 

“That was a very nice performance.”

 

Hawook swallowed hard. She wanted to run already but what is the use of running away when you’re already caught? Hawook cursed herself.  ‘I should’ve just gone home.’

 

She bit her lip hoping that the man in front of her will not tell on her. Silence stood between her and the man who was still smiling at her. And that silence was only broken by another voice.

 

“Samdong-ssi! There you are!” A female voice said whom Hawook recognized as the teacher playing the piano this morning.

 

‘.’ Hawook thought. ‘Could this get any worse?’

 

“Ah, Taehee-ssi! Sorry for worrying about me. I was just listening to one of your students play.” The man named Samdong said.

“Student? Play? But all the students have gone home already.”

 

Teacher Taehee peeked inside the music room and was surprised to see Hawook there, standing her head bowed low.

 

“H-Hawook?” 


[A/N]

hello~ I updated! :)

sorry if I wasn't able to update this fic the past few days >.<

We had our midterm examinations and I had to study. 

I wasn't able to use the computer for the past few days. 

Onto the story:

Sorry if the update/s is/are short. I prefer it this way and I end the chapter

the moment I see that a scene will be a good ending. However if you would like me

to make longer chaps, I'll try. A friend who is reading this also said that this sounds

like "Dream High". But don't worry it's not. Just wait :) You may have also observe that 

the female main character and the male has no interactions yet. About that, you have to wait 

for a few more chapters. Just a few cause I wanted to establish something

before you two meet :)

 

That's all! hope you like this update and don't forget to drop a comment :) 

They're very much appreciated <3