Five

Music

 

Chapter 5


 

Samdong looked back to his friend and former colleague Teacher Taehee and forth to Hawook whose head hung low. Silence surrounds them and the atmosphere is a bit tense. Samdong decided to break the silence by offering the refreshments laid in the table by teacher Taehee.

 

Samdong cleared his throat. “Why don’t we drink the tea, Taehee? It’s better while it’s hot.” He pours the hot drink in his colleague’s cup as well as the curly haired girl he found in the music room. However, neither of them took their cups. And no matter how Samdong tried to cheer up the atmosphere, it remains tense, heavy. Giving up, he just heaved a deep sigh.

 

The silence was soon broken by his friend. The female teacher cleared before finally confronting Hawook. Samdong on the other hand drank his cup of tea while listening to the conversation.

 

“What were you doing in the music room Hawook?”

 

Taehee’s voice was calm but Samdong could tell that there’s madness. He looked at the young girl before him who looks nervous clearly seen in the drops of sweat forming on her forehead.

 

“I-I was playing the piano.”

Taehee sighed deeply. “I know that. But that’s not what I mean, Hawook. What I mean by that is, what are you doing here? The school’s closed already. How did you get in here without me even noticing? Why did you use the piano without permission? And,” Taehee paused for a while. “You’re not a student in this kindergarten anymore nor do you take my music lessons, so you don’t have a reason to be here.”

 

Hawook did not answer and just stared at her hands placed on her lap. Samdong could tell that she’s more nervous now after being bombarded with so many questions. He leaned towards his friend.

 

“Taehee,” he whispered. “Try not to be so hard on her. She might lie more if you scare her.”

His friend rolled her eyes. “I know what I’m doing Samdong. Don’t worry.”

 

She faced Hawook and started questioning her again, her voice more gentle this time. “So Hawook. Come on, tell me. What were you doing in the music room?  Tell me the truth. I won’t get mad.”

 

Hawook, after a long time of not looking at her inquisitor, looked at her in the eyes. “Really? You won’t get angry?”

Taehee nodded while Samdong mouthed to her, “Tell her the truth.”

 

Hawook swallowed hard before telling them what really happened. She told them how she got inside and why was she in the music room.

“It’s been a long time since I have touched and played the piano. I’ve always wondered when I’ll be able touch one again. Seeing the music’s room slightly ajar, I decided to take the risk, make use of the opportunity laid in front of me and use the piano without anyone’s permission.

 

“I know it’s not right, trespassing and using someone’s property without the owner’s permission. But since we don’t have our piano and since mom and dad won’t send me to a music school, I decided to use it even though I know it’s not right.”

Samdong pitied Hawook after hearing her explanation.

‘Here is someone who wanted to play and make music but can’t. While my nephew back in Gangnam can play and make music but he doesn’t want to,’ he thought.

 

“So teacher Taehee,” Hawook bowed. “I’m sorry and I swear I won’t do it again.”

 

Taehee sighed deeply. “Lift your head Hawook. I accept your apology.”

Hawook felt relieved and thanked the kindergarten teacher countless of times.

“But you have to promise me, you won’t do this again.”

“I promise I won’t!” Hawook said, raising a hand and making a cross on her chest.

 

Taehee held Hawook’s hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. Samdong felt more relieve now that his friend and Hawook have settled matters already. They ate the snacks and the other refreshments prepared by his colleague.

 

“By the way Hawook,” teacher Taehee suddenly said. “Do you really like playing the piano that much that you have to trespass and use the piano without authorization?

 

Hawook instantly blush a bright red. Samdong elbowed Taehee and whispered, “Do you really have to ask that?”

His former colleague blushed in embarrassment. “I didn’t ask it as something negative. It’s just that-“

 

“Yes teacher Taehee. I love the piano that much that I was able to do those things.”

 

Samdong and Taehee looked at each other and back to Hawook.

 

“I won’t be able to play one anymore that’s why I decided to take the risk and use the opportunity to play the piano for the very last time.”

 

“For the very last time?” Samdong asked. Hawook just nodded. “I don’t get it.”

 

“Because first, I don’t have access to one and because mom and dad won’t send me to a music school. And lastly,” Hawook paused for a moment. “Because I gave up on my dreams, thinking that maybe music and I are not meant to be.”

 

“What? B-but that’s such a lowly excuse not to continue playing and why are you giving up so easily?” Samdong asked in a voice louder than expected causing Taehee and Hawook to look at him with surprised expressions. “S-sorry.”

 

“Ah! How about this Hawook? I’ll let you use the piano every afternoon after you work in the fields?” teacher Taehee said.

 

“W-what?” Hawook asked dumbfounded.

 

“That’s a nice idea Taehee-ssi! And since I’m here for a vacation, I might as well teach you for a while.” Samdong said and Taehee agreed with him.

 

“R-really?!” Hawook’s eyes sparkled in delight and Samdong immediately smiled when he saw how the girl was happy and thankful for them.

 

“Thank you teacher Taehee! Thank you teacher Samdong! Thank you very much!”

 


 

 

For the next days, Hawook, after working in the fields with her father would be taught by Samdong in playing the piano.  Samdong was surprised that she learns fast but what surprised him the most was when she learned that Hawook doesn’t even know the basics.

 

“You don’t know the basics.” Samdong repeated what Hawook told him. Hawook nodded. Samdong scoffed. “You must be kidding me. How can you play such good music when you don’t even know the basics?”

Hawook gave him a confused look. “Good music?”

“I was talking about the time you were caught using the piano without permission.”

“Ah, that. I was just randomly pressing keys,” Hawook told him.

 

“Randomly pressing keys?!” Samdong exclaimed. Hawook looked at his new teacher with wide eyes. “You make music by randomly pressing the piano’s keyboard?”

Hawook doesn’t know what to reply. “Uh, I guess so?” That was all she could say and went back to playing the piano to try what Samdong had taught him earlier.

 

On the other hand, Samdong sat there beside his new student with drooped shoulders, his mouth slightly open. Were all the things he heard true? ‘If they are then, she’d be my very first student with this kind of ability,’ he thought.

 

He can’t help but get amazed with the curly haired farm girl in front of him. But at the same time he also pities her. Pities her for not being able to go to a music or performing arts school where she really belongs. Pities her for not even having a proper music lesson that would help her improve her talent.

 

He continues to watch her in amazement and sadness as she plays the piece he thought flawlessly and full of passion. Samdong knows he must do something. There’s a voice in his head telling him to help Hawook.

 

He wants to but right now, he doesn’t know how. 


 

[A/N] 

Annyeong here's an update :)) Sorry if it always took long for me to update . 

School's keeping me busy >.< Still no OC and the male protagonist in here. 

Just a few more chaps before they meet so please bear with me.

Subsciptions and comments are highly appreciated! :))