One

Music

 

Chapter 1


 

Because of the summer heat, a boy, nineteen years of age had his air condition in his room in full blast. With closed eyes he lies down on his soft bed, relaxing and enjoying the cool surrounding the air condition is creating.

 

Getting bored, he opened his round eyes and stared at the white ceiling of his room decorated with glow-in-the-dark star stickers. He sat at the end of his bed and scanned his neat and organized room, looking for something to do. Unfortunately, he found nothing.

 

He got up from his bed and went to one wall of the room covered in Venetian blinds. He folded the blinds illuminating his room and revealing a wall made of glass, overlooking the city of Gangnam. He pressed his hands against the cold glass as he looks at the streets below him and the neighboring condominiums. The people and the cars going to and fro look like ants from where he was looking. The condo units had their windows covered in different colored curtains.

 

The boy heaved a deep sigh, disappointed that he did not found anything fun to watch in the rich city. ‘Maybe I’d found more interesting things if I go down and take a stroll.’ With that in mind, he folded the blinds, turned off the air condition and went out of his room.

 

He was about to open the door and go out of the condo unit he was residing in when he heard an old man’s voice.

 

“Young master,” the man said. “Are you going out?” The boy nodded as a reply. “Would you want me to come with you then? Or drive the car for you?”

 

The boy looked at their family’s butler for ten years. “It’s okay. I can go on my own. I’m a big boy now,” he said sternly but still respectful. “You don’t need to be with me wherever I go Mr. Han, unlike before… Besides, I want to be alone.”

 

Mr. Han smiled revealing the wrinkles around his eyes. “But it’s my job to watch over you. However, if that’s what you want, I won’t stop you.” The boy said a faint thank you. “Please take care of yourself then, young master,” the butler said giving his master a bow. The boy returned the bow and finally went on his way.

 

He took an elevator and went down 8 floors. On the lobby of the condominium, he was greeted by some people living on the same floor as him. He returns their greetings but he actually doesn’t like the attention he gets from them. Heck, they probably won’t even greet him if his father wasn’t a famous personality.

 

 He steps out of the condominium tower and the hot and humid weather immediately touches his milky white skin. It made him uncomfortable but it did not stop him to continue taking a stroll around the city.

 

After wandering around a few streets, he stepped in a convenience store to buy himself an ice popsicle. He then crossed the street and sat at an empty bench under a gingko tree in a park across the convenience store. With the strawberry-yogurt popsicle popped inside his mouth, the boy watched the people passing by him.  An old couple happily walking their hands intertwined, a woman in her twenties jogging together with her shih tzu and… and that one happy family.  Walking together, sharing a hearty laughter, whose father was carrying his son over his shoulders and supporting him with his hand while holding the mother on the other.

 

He stopped eating the cold treat he bought and looked at them with a heavy heart. He should be happy for them, yes. But he can’t. Instead, he felt unhappy, bitter. Envious.

 

He continued to watch the family until he felt something wet dropped on his left leg. He forgot that he was eating ice cream.  With a sigh, he wiped the melted popsicle on his left leg and looked for a restroom.

 

After crossing a few streets and a few corners, he arrived at a mall. He immediately went to the restroom to wash up and when he was done, he walked around the mall looking at the different displays.

 

He was about to enter a clothing store when a small commotion in the mall’s atrium caught his attention. Curious with what was happening he approached the small crowd and squeezed his way between a small group of people to have a better view on what the people are fussing about.

 

It turned out that there was a female musician having a mall show that time. He watched as the host introduce the musician who gave a bow to the audience before she steps back and sit in front of a black grand piano. The audience applauded when the lights turned off and the female musician started playing the piano, performing a slow and sad melody. And the only light illuminating her was the light coming from the skylight.

 

He watched her perform. But the more he stays there to watch the mini music performance, the more he becomes uncomfortable. His heart starts beating faster, his breath getting heavier. He clutched onto his chest and shook his head as he tries to remove the scary and painful memories flashing back into his mind on that cold winter night.

 

The man watching beside him noticed that he was getting uneasy. “Are you okay?” he asked. The boy lied to him saying he is fine but deep inside, he is not. He actually gets more perturbed the more he hears the sound of the piano each time the performer presses its keys.

 

And before he can hear another round of performance, he left the atrium and went back to the restroom. He splashed water into his face and wiped it with his handkerchief. He felt more relieved now but the flashes of that excruciating event still keeps coming back – the image of a hanging, lifeless body and the face of the lifeless woman who brought him to this world staring back at him blankly.

 

He heaved a deep sigh and stared at his pale reflection in the restroom’s mirror.

‘I guess it was wrong for me to have taken a stroll around the city. I should have just stayed at home.’ 


 

[A/N]

First chap up! So what do you think of this guys?

And who do you think is being described here? :3 

Comment your guesses! 

And if you find any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors tell 

me so I can correct them :)

Don't forget to subscribe too!