8.

Enemies With Benefits

A/N: Please forgive me for updating after such a long time! I’ve been particularly busy with school (still am) and when the holidays finally arrived, I was preoccupied with personal matters. I apologize to those who waited. SO SO SO SORRY!

When the bell rang, I immediately dashed out of the classroom, trying to gulp down the sickening bile in my throat. So what if Hannah had s the size of basketballs and a face to compete with Girls’ Generation and a perfect giggle to signal “I’m-flirting-with-you-so-come-here,” she had never actually done anything to me. But still … I bet her IQ was at most thirty …

Stop it. Hannah never did to you so shut up. Why should you be thinking cruelly towards her anyways? You don’t like Kai, you hate him.

I ran to my locker and pulled my necessary books out before running off to my next class. The horrific thoughts preoccupied my mind as I continued to blaze to my next block. I must have been extremely envious—no, I wasn’t—because I didn’t notice Suho coming towards me when I finally slammed into his smooth, blazer-covered chest.

Suho smiled down at me. “Are you in a hurry?” he asked, scratching his head in the most adorable way. Who cared about Kai … there was always the perfect Suho …

“Sorry for crashing into you,” I apologized, admiring the flourish of his hair and the natural crease above his smooth brown eyes and the curve of his lips when he grinned.

“No problem … but do you mind if I talked to you?” he asked nervously, running his fingers through his hair that reminded me awfully of a specific person in my mind lately.

It wasn’t as shocking as it would have been when Suho offered to talk to me. We actually had been conversing a lot and enjoying each other’s company lately. Or actually, it was me enjoying his company. Mostly we’ve been discussing school-related topics, but that was still a huge improvement versus the nonexistent relationship between us before Valentine’s Day.

“Sure,” I said, my heart never failing to flutter like it did now.

We continued walking together towards nowhere in particular when he flashed me another shy smile. “I have a letter for one of the universities I applied to in my hand right now,” he said.

“Holy ,” I said, glancing at his right hand which was gripping a thick letter. “To where?”

“Well I applied to one college in the States but I doubt I would get in and I applied to the rest here,” he replied, flushing when “States” came out of his mouth.

“Which one?” I asked, curious. I couldn’t see the official stamp of the school because the backside of the letter was facing me.

“I doubt I will get in,” he repeated, cheeks flaming in the cutest shade of pink. Wow, I actually liked pink now.

“Yes you will, you’re Kim Junmyun, I know you will … SO OPEN IT ALREADY!”

“I wish I was as confident as you are,” he sighed.

“You’ll get in to whatever college it is! You’re most likely the smartest person in our class. And aren’t you valedictorian too?”

“Well this acceptance letter is from the university I applied to in Korea.” He blushed even further.

“Oh, just open the darn thing or I will.”

“I’m glad I’m talking to you because I knew you’d been this encouraging and sweet so I’d like to thank you for that, _____.”

“Oh, I’m not. So just open it!”

“And—.”

“I know you’re stalling so if you don’t open it I will just take it from you to open it. Even if you have a rejection letter in your hands at this moment, you’ll still know instead of waiting here in this unknowing hell.”

He looked at me one more time, a look filled with weakened courage before ripping the envelope open. It was a thick packet from Seoul National University, the best one in South Korea at the moment. I would even dub it the Korean Harvard.

I was beginning to realize the oddness of this situation. Rather than preferring his friends to experience this moment with him, he called and asked for me. Me. Before Valentine’s Day, he didn’t even acknowledge my existence and here he was, waiting for my encouragement. Things do change. In great ways.

His shaking fingers held the letter in a death grip, and his eyes scanned with hesitance. I was waiting for the happiness or joy or the shock. But his eyes just continue to widen and I notice him glazing over the same part again and again.

“And?” I asked.

“I’m accepted.”

I started jumping up and down for no apparent reason and I pulled him in a daring hug. He held me just as hard and we began hopping up and down together. “I knew it!”

He squeezed me hard before letting go and smiling. “My parents would be ecstatic.”

“Obviously. You got into South Korean Harvard. Where else did you apply?”

“Korea University, Koryo and Yonsei.”

“How about the one in the States?”

He grinned sheepishly. “Harvard.”

“You’ll get in. I bet you’ll get in.” I clapped him on the back and grinned even wider. “Anyways, congratulations Suho.”

“Thanks _____.” He beamed.

I waved and walked away, pushing myself to the next class. Somehow, the late bell didn’t ring during our little celebration and I made it in time for my next block. The smile I shared with Suho was still plastered on my face when I bumped into another unexpected person.

It was Sooyeon. And she didn’t look particularly happy. In fact, she was scowling. “_____,” she said in a steel-blanketed voice. It was hard to recognize my best friend since kindergarten under the harsh mask she was dressed in currently. Her arms were crossed firmly across her chest and her eyes were narrowed.

“What Soo?” I asked, facing her and frowning.

“What happened to you?” she simply asked.

“What do you mean?”

She deepened the furious look on her face and let her arms drop. “Never mind _____, nothing.” She turned around to leave. But I couldn’t just let this fragile friendship crumble after years of building it.

“Soo! What’s going on?”

“Wow, you really don’t know?” she faced me again, her eyes crushed in resistant metal. “You’ve been AWOL and I’m not even sure if you didn’t intend to. You’ve been ignoring us, me! Whatever. I don’t give a . I’ve been trying to talk to you for God knows how long and you’ve been stalling and running away. Min’s almost in tears, _____!” Sooyeon was yelling by the end of her tirade.

“I’m sorry—”

“Save it. Obviously you’ve been too busy drooling over that ing nerd to notice us.”

“Hey, Suho didn’t do anything to you! Why are you ing out on him?” I was starting to get defensive and whatever motive of me trying to keep nice vanished. She didn’t even know Suho and she already complained about his butting in my life. “It’s like you don’t even want me to be happy.”

Sooyeon’s usually warm eyes flashed. I could see her body tense and I could tell she was on the verge of screaming her heart out at me. But she didn’t. Her posture relaxed and she walked away without another word.

But the damage was already done.


In the next period, all I could dwell on was Sooyeon and Min, mostly the former. I’ve had many fights with Sooyeon before, from petty little things to major crises. It’s inevitable. I’ve even had the occasional quarrel with sensitive Min. But this one was more like an all-out brawl between Sooyeon and I. This actually wrenched and unnerved me. I didn’t know what her deal was, fighting about Suho and for me going AWOL. I had no idea how I set her off to blow that gigantic steam at me. I wanted to find out but I wasn’t ready to confront her again.

The thoughts consumed me till school was over. During lunch, I hid out in my car, refusing to face stormy Sooyeon and gentle Min.

After school, I rushed to my car, eager to get out of this hellhole. I quickly opened the driver’s door and threw my bag inside. And of course, my car’s battery decided to die on me of all days. I continued to try until most of the parking lot was vacated. And when not a single soul was to be seen on the lot, I finally gave up.

“,” I growled, slamming my head against the steering wheel and creating a startling beep from the horn. “, hell, ! Why won’t this crap start?”

Someone knocked on my car window and I turned to face a smug Kai. I opened the door and glared at him.

“Are you having car problems dear _____,” he smirked.

“I’m not in the mood for this dear Kai.” I was about to continue my rant about how y my day was and how retarded he was when I noticed a girl standing beside him. Thin and slender. The perfect body. Brown, straight hair and a narrow, white, pretty face. Plush lips, almost identical to Kai’s … probably as a result of constantly making out with him. She had an innocent look to her that made me feel inferior for some reason. This wasn’t Hannah. But of course, even if she wasn’t she still was more gorgeous than I’ll ever be. Probably a freshman lucky enough to score a night with him. But I wasn’t jealous. Obviously I wasn’t.

“Want me to give you a ride?” he offered.

“No. No way, I’ll call …” I began, lingering on identifying the person who could take me home. Dad was at work and Mom is probably out of the state. Sooyeon definitely won’t help and Min didn’t know how to drive. Who could come get me?

“Come on babe,” Kai grinned, “Besides, nothing will happen.”

“That’s all right, babe.” Like I was ever going to be seated behind his latest conquest. Never. And besides, riding in his car might be a bad pun he’ll use to lurk around me in the future.

“You can always call someone later. There’s no point waiting here till it gets dark. I’ll just drop Yoon Hee off and I’ll take you home.” His face almost gave away honesty. Not that I would fall for it.

Yoon Hee. Her name was nothing but ordinary … and quite familiar. My mind was clicking pieces together when a revelation hit me. The same plush lips, narrow face and crease above their eyes. The only trait that differed the two were skin tone. Yoon Hee was Kai’s sister! How could I have missed that? I compared the two again and realized they looked quite similar despite the contrast of their skin.

Kai pulled the key out of my ignition and dangled it in my face.

“Fine,” I agreed huffily, but nevertheless feeling significantly better knowing that Yoon Hee was his sister. I locked my car door and checked it twice to the annoyance of Kai before heading toward the only other car in the parking lot.

Kai slid into the driver’s seat and I climbed to the back so that Yoon Hee, who was unusually quiet, could sit with her brother. “Aren’t you going to thank me _____?” he asked, starting his car with a powerful jolt. He backed out and drove surprisingly smoothly the rest of the way.

The backseat was horrifically uncomfortable with absolutely no leg room for a 5’6” girl. Instead I had to press my legs together sideways. I decided that I wasn’t going to purchase a Porsche any time soon.

Kai and I had a random conversation about his lack of gratitude for the most of the ride and although he attempted to coax Yoon Hee into our discussion, trying to get his sister to vy for his side, she only managed to say a few words. We finally pulled into a neighborhood quite near Kai’s and a house as grand as his own. It was Victorian-styled, quite hard to find in the suburbs of Incheon, but I guess his family had a huge bundle of money laying around.

Yoon Hee turned to me, avoiding my eyes, and said quietly, “Nice to meet you, _____. Bye.” She dashed out of the car hurriedly.

“I didn’t know your sister was so sweet,” I said, blinking because I meant what I said.

“She’s too shy,” he said. “Want to take shotgun?” he offered.

I hopped over to the passenger’s seat, careful not to make a mark. Kai watched me with amusement as I buckled my seatbelt. Suddenly, he let out a low groan. I expected that he was angry at me for treating his dear car harshly when I looked up at his nasty face. “Look, I’m sorry for damaging your car.”

But Kai wasn’t looking at me. He was directing his gaze at a senior woman marching out of the estate at a fast pace, a furious look planted on her aging yet beautiful features. I could see that beauty certainly runs in the Kim family generously. I figured that the woman coming quickly was Kai’s grandmother. I was preparing a polite greeting when I realized that Kai’s grandmother despised her grandson and Kai hated her back just as much. I started to get anxious as I watched the tall, intimidating woman knock on the window, glaring at me with hatred.

“Annyeong haseyo Halmoni,” he said in a sarcastic voice I only caught.

“Oh don’t play with me Jongin. You’re getting me incredibly angry,” she replied. Her voice lashed out and I guessed she was furious with me also. Her voice was loud and passionate, and her words carried the dissatisfaction of a disappointed halmoni.

“Sorry Halmoni, what did I do? What imperfection is it?”

“I would suggest that you do not speak to me in that tone Jongin. It would be best if you continued living your lifestyle as you preferred but leave my Yoon Hee out of it.” When she reached the point about her granddaughter, her voice had softened and raised again when she spoke about her grandson.

“What did I do to Yoon Hee? I just brought her home.”

“Really, Kim Jongin? If you have a specific … friend accompanying you, I would appreciate it greatly if you allowed Yoon Hee to ride the bus, or rather have me bring her,” she sighed. His grandmother locked her steely eyes on me for a split moment. “I wouldn’t want my Yoon Hee influenced badly.”

I stared back, confused as ever. Kai was just taking me home … and here she was suggesting that I was a negative impact on a girl I’ve barely met? I’ve gotten straight A’s all my life and never had detention.

And then, the truth smacked me in the face. It was like a punch delivered straight to the gut, a kick to your Achilles Heel.

Kai’s grandmother was suggesting, no she knew, I was one of Kai’s tramps. The easy he screwed around with. Kai’s grandmother hated how sleazy he was, how he played around with any female available. And seeing me here, she assumed I was just another regular bimbo waiting for her fix.

But I wasn’t, was I?

I quickly turned away from her burning eyes and looked down in shame. I was hurt and humiliated and embarrassed. Not because her accusations weren’t true.

Because I was just another easy .

“Grandmother,” Kai said through gritted teeth. He sounded pissed and I never heard him use that tone before. “That is none of your business and it never will be. You have no right to disrespect my friend and for God’s sake, I am not the devil child you tell Yoon Hee I am.”

His grandmother looked taken aback for a moment before quickly gathering her composure. “I will personally drive Yoon Hee home starting today.”

“Go ahead. But she’s my sister.”

With a sudden click, I realized that Kai rolled his window up before she could reply and drove away. He sped down the street, his hands tightly gripped on his steering wheel. His teeth were still grit together and his jaw’s muscles were working in overdrive. I didn’t know what to say and I didn’t have anything to say. I was unsure of how he’d react for the rest of the car ride. Luckily, he spoke first in a soothing voice.

“I’m so sorry _____. I had no idea she’d be that unpleasant. She shouldn’t have treated you that way.”

“It’s okay.”

“No it’s not.”

It’s all right.”

“No. And she’s going to call me tonight and yell at me at how I’ve broken my family up.”

“Kai, no you haven’t.”

“Yes I have. My parents are separated, my mom is always gone and my dad doesn’t give a . My sister is believing everything my grandmother says to her. I’ve seen the way Yoon Hee looks at me. She’s convinced I am a monster. I know she thinks less of me. I know she’s disappointed and I’m sure she thinks I’m a horrible brother and person altogether.”

I breathed. “I’m sorry Kai.”

“It’s fine. It’s not your fault _____.” The car slowed down a little. “And I realized that she’s right. And so is Yoon Hee. But I never wanted her to see me that way.”

Without knowing what exactly I was doing, I reached over and held Kai’s hand over the gearshift. He was warm, and I felt his endless pulse beating in harmony with mine. I forgot about how ed up my life was, how Sooyeon and Min might never forgive me, how my dad was slowly rotting away, how cute Suho was. I just actually wanted to see Kai smile again, even if it was that cocky annoying grin. I wanted to comfort him. I wanted him to know I cared.

Wait, I ing cared?

He pulled into my driveway and pulled the key out of the ignition. He held my hand and shifted his car to park. And he leaned in slowly to gather me into a hug. Surprisingly, I hugged him back tightly. In that moment, we were just friends with screwed lives.