1.

Enemies With Benefits

A/N: I just finished my Baekai fic and I hoped that those of you who read it enjoyed it! This fic will be entirely different from that serious, boy/boy tragedy. I just wanted to stray a little away from that “genre,” and my writing style will be different in these kinds of fanfiction. But if you want another boy/boy fic like “gently drifting stars,” I still have plenty ideas yet to outline. So once I’m done with this one, I’ll immediately start on that one. I hope you anticipate it and enjoy this one! (I need ideas for which EXO couple to write it for. But if Baekai is still wanted, I’ll write for them too. I was thinking Hunhan? Any suggestions?)

 

I probably looked like a loner. I most likely did. Sitting there with a slant-eyed laziness, dozing off and lazily slurping my already lukewarm “iced” water while my other friends sashayed around the dance floor, shimmying up to any overed male athlete who would give them a glance. Or perhaps two. And practically every male species in that club eyed them that way.

I really don't understand how they can toss their bodies around without realizing they've also thrown out their dignity at the same time.

And I don't really understand why I'm still sitting here in this damn place, drinking the same beverage I always order, sitting in the dark corner I always seat myself at. I sighed, drowning myself in H2O as I watched the students of Incheon Academy sweat their asses off while grinding against each other. And they did this practically every weekend.

Ji Min and Sooyeon were acting like unknowing idiots as they smiled with each and every boy that flirted with them. What was the point of this, really? I checked the clock dangling by a loose nail on the dark gray wall, watching as the hands ticked to rigidly point at 10:00PM. I've handled with this crap for about a good hour and this is the best time to leave before some testosterone-filled football player decided to grab them both. And I was getting a migraine from the endless pulse of the music.

Before I managed to get out of my seat however, a hand gently pressed my shoulder, forcing me back down onto the miserable chair. I didn't even have to look up. The smell of the strong and unnecessary cologne. This occurred to me quite often. A boy, to his misfortune, would decide to intrude on my little “party,” and have the nerve to attempt small talk. All I had to do was shoot them the look on my face before they decided to steer clear and lamely hit on another thing with Y chromosome.

“Hi there _____,” said a cocky, conceited voice.

ing. Kim. Jongin.

My life didn't need to get worse, did it?

“What,” I said in a flat voice, clearly laced with loathe. “I'm not in the mood.”

“Wait, aren't you supposed to be friendly?” he asked sarcastically, looking me directly in the eye.

“Who made that claim? Because they're wrong. So if you're looking for someone nice, maybe you should head in another direction,” I said dryly, sipping my water in an exaggerated manner in hopes of ridding of this playboy.

“Well, tell me if those nice people have hot friends and maybe I will.”

“Wait, what?” I asked, surprised by his retort. I looked at him, eyebrows furrowed, and observed the smooth planes, strong jawline and brown eyes. Why did the world have to bless good looks on those with ugly attitudes? If he stopped talking forever and maybe changed the way he flirted with girls, I would tolerate him. Because Kim Jongin was … kind of hot. Kind of. But he's never on mute and he's still a womanizing piece of crap, so he's still .

“I need you to set me up with your hot friends,” he said simply, eying my water. There was a smirk on his obese-looking lips. I just wanted to punch his mouth and see if he still grinned after.

“Why don't you go do it yourself?” I asked, gesturing wildly at them. If Kim Jongin decided to flirt with them in his “charming, boyish” ways, I knew they would fall head-over-heels. Being their best friend and all, they conversation revolved around who had the nicest abs and the vote was always for this poop, Jongin. Or Kai. Whatever name he went with.

“Because you're their best friend. And no offense, you're kind of the ugly one in the group.” He said this shamelessly, shrugging and still occupying that seat with a god-like manner. I stared at him, lost for words. And I was never out of things to say. I was annoyed enough with the repeating “Gee, Gee, Gee, Gee, baby-baby!”

I grabbed my glass and dumped the remaining contents on his clothing and hair. I suddenly wished I had ordered Coke or any other sickly sweet drink. But it still did good, wetting his pants and resulting in a look of accidentally urinating in his expensive looking jeans.

He glared at me, chiseled jaw clenched in anger. “What the hell was that for!?” he growled, standing up and patting his clothing. What a bastard! Now I really wanted to smack him across the face and dump soda on him simultaneously. But sometimes we aren't so lucky, are we?

“You're a crackhead. If you think any one of my friends are going to end up in your pants tonight, go slap some sense into yourself,” I said before spinning on my heels, saying goodnight to the bartender whom I've only discussed the weather with, and confronted my best friends. Against their whiny debating, I dragged them by their wrists, out into the cold weather and into my car. My cheeks were flaming a vicious red, and I was glad the music was playing so deathly loud because no one seemed to hear my little episode with Kai.

“Why are we leaving so early?” Ji Min sulked, looking back at the club with a regretful look. I felt bad for pooping on their party, but I felt even worse after speaking with that disgusting jerk. I drove on, willing the heater to warm the car quicker.

“Because I wanted to,” I snapped. I instantly lamented the tone I used on her. Min was the more sensitive one in our group and was always there to comfort me. I softened. “Because there was someone intolerable who argued with me.”

“Who?” Min and Sooyeon asked.

“Um … Kim Jongin.” I said slowly and quieter.

Their reaction was expected, as they both swooned in the backseat. Sooyeon looked completely struck with desire.

“How can you possibly get in an argument with someone that flawless?” she asked, looking at me with accusation. Obviously, they would consider him flawless.

“How can you not? He's not flawless either. He's a complete man-e. And his brain is nonexistent, like the thing in his pants!” I said defiantly. When I spoke those words, I realized they were true and I hated Kai for it.

“Oh shut up!” Sooyeon said. “He's so friendly and charming. I heard he's romantic too.”

Curse god-like looking boys.

“Where do you hear those filthy lies from?” I gasped exaggeratedly.

“Oh come on, you know it too!” Min smiled.

“No. I just know he pisses me off.”

I gripped my hands tighter on the wheel, trying to banish the words that echoed in my mind. Was I really that unattractive? Looking at Min and Sooyeon, I realized that compared to them, I looked like what Kai implied. Min's open face, large brown eyes, perfect complexion and plump lips made her appear doll-like. And he small size made her the more adorable. Sooyeon had the legs of a supermodel, with smooth caramel colored hair and a narrow face.

Where did I fit? The ugly slot of course. Every group of friends had their ugly duckling. And that position happened to fall on me.


Mondays really . All Mondays were terrible and this one was no exception.

I slumped into AP English, exhausted and fatigued over the little sleep I had gotten. My parents had argued loudly, their screams bouncing around the walls, playing like a nightmarish concerto that wouldn't go away. I felt defeated, and the conflict with Kai was a petty thing now that I viewed it from today. That angry flame was extinguished.

I had thought they stopped arguing. I even preferred Dad's muffled snores and Mom's constant nagging over their screams, echoing and ebbing within my brain. Whenever they began their affrays, I always went into my OCD state, shuffling my homework, cleaning my bed, wiping my mirrors. But not even Clorox could alleviate the shouting.

The class went by smoothly though. Ms. Kim seemed to understand my fragile state, still rolling over the argument my parents went through. Did I truly want them to separate? Divorce? I loved them both dearly, and maybe their PDA was disgustingly obvious, but I didn't want them to be without each other.

My mind was quickly interrupted by the constant chattering occurring behind me. I wish Sooyeon and Min were here to laugh at the squeals with me, but they both had History for their homeroom.

Eun Mi, otherwise known as Eun, and her friend, Cho Hee, were discussing the joys of homecoming and how close it was. What prospects were “soooo” great about homecoming anyway? It was boring enough of a dance and all anyone cared about afterwards was getting laid like every overed teenager in this school. I knew for sure that I did not want to go. But I was certain already that Sooyeon and Min were planning to have the time of their lives, and I would have to be the supervisor to make sure any male creature didn’t get in their pants.

“I can’t wait till homecoming. Honestly. It’s taking forever,” Eun Mi whined in that plastic voice of hers. Not that I hated her or anything, but she had an infamous reputation of being able to seduce and guy. And the rumor was that she lost her ity at fourteen. Although it was unlikely in the rigid school systems in South Korea, most of Incheon Academy was certain Eun Mi has done it and done it many times.

“I know,” piped in Cho Hee.

“You know what? I heard that Kai was planning to ask me to homecoming,” Eun Mi said in a “I’m-trying-to-be-inconspicuous-but-I-want-everyone-to-know” whisper. “And I’m planning to fool around with Jongin after.” She had used his real name. Hardly anyone used his real name while discussing about him unless they were at an intimate status. Which I assumed she thought she was. “I already did once and it was amazing.”

“Really? Ohmygod, Kai is really hot.”

“More like ing incredibly y.”

I decided to tune the conversation out. Eun Mi was notorious for her ways and Kai was even more advertised than she was. They actually belonged together considering what they’ve done. They were both created as incredibly good looking with their smooth skin, slightly dark coloring, smoky eyes. Match made in heaven practically.

I rushed out of the room once the bell rang, leaving Ms. Kim hollering the homework assignment and that writing in our agendas were important. Blah-blah-blah. Although I was against gossiping, I was trying to get to Sooyeon and Min as soon as possible to share the news. Between passing period, we usually met near the bathroom to discuss for the little three minutes we have before resuming classes.

“Guess what guys,” I said in a quick breath.

“What?” Sooyeon asked, while applying lip gloss.

“I heard that Eun Mi was going to homecoming with Kai or something and she was getting laid after. And apparently, she’s done it before and claims it was ‘amazing.’” I put air quotes to emphasize how ridiculous it sounded.

“Really?” Sooyeon asked, eyes popping. Min stared at me with a gape.

“Yeah.”

Sooyeon leaned closer, implying that she had juicier details. “Everyone says she’s pregnant with that ‘boyfriend’ she’s dating from Seoul University.”

“What? No way. No one would screw her and go to Seoul University.”

“It’s true.”

The bell buzzed. I called my goodbyes to my friends and in my dazed rush, I crashed into someone. Smack into Kim Jongin. That’s when my happy mood ended.

I staggered, books crashing to the floor. I would’ve fallen if he didn’t steady me with his huge hands, gripping onto my shoulders and finally releasing me when he was sure I was able to stand. Why couldn’t I go a day without seeing this jerk? And I was already a bit embarassed from yesterday’s incident. Along with running into Kai? That just made me more the humilated.

“Whoa, are you okay?” he asked, looking at me with what seemed like genuine concern. But under that mask of cocoa brown eyes, I knew he was amused.

“I was before I ran into you,” I snapped, before bending down to pick my books up. He put his hand out to stop me before bending over and stacking them all before handing them over. He looked much taller than yesterday, with his lithe slim frame and obvious muscle under his white long-sleeved T-shirt. In fact, he was really tall. I already considered myself a good height at 5’6” but he towered over me still.

“Do I really brighten up your day that much?” he said sarcastically, smiling.

“Yes, you do. So much that I feel like vomiting.”

Kai frowned a little at this before resuming that snide smirk. “Anyways, where are Min and Sooyeon?” He looked around, as if hoping they were there, before continuing to look at me directly.

“Not here. And plus, I’m going to be late.” Without saying anything else, I quickly rushed toward my favorite class of the day: Physical Education. It was stereotypical for girls to dislike running around and sweating. I was an exception but also because Kim Junmyun was in that period with me. And he looked really cute, running around and sweating in that athletic way of his.

Kim Junmyun didn’t fall into that typical hottie place like Kai did, but nevertheless he was quite the looker. Although Sooyeon and Min didn’t agree with me. But who cares because they were absolutely wrong. I was already deep into that hole, although Kim Junmyun rarely noticed me. But I was aware of him, that was certain. The way his chestnut colored hair glinted in the sun; the way he twitched his lips in that cautious manner as if worried for the other party; the way he walked in his lanky form. My lips had unknowingly spread into a smile just pondering about him. I didn’t trust that teenagers who claimed they didn’t love their parents had the audacity to call their love out for another they’ve dated for a little more than a week. So I didn’t believe that I felt strongly enough to love Junmyun, but I was completely drowned in liking him. I was attached to this angel-like person. Kai was a perfect example of being the exact opposite of Junmyun.

I quickly dressed, pulling on my loose blue shorts and ill-fitting white T-shirt. I gathered my hair into a bundle and put it into a tight ponytail. I examined myself in the dirty mirror, hoping I was presentable enough for Junmyun.

We lined up as our instructor took attendance while I took sneaky glances at my crush. He was nearby, laughing with his friends. I imagined myself laughing beside him and I felt content.


My day was bright from seeing Junmyun and laughing hysterically with my friends when I arrived home. Skillfully parking my car into the driveway, I noticed that my dad’s vehicles wasn’t parked in the open garage. That was unusual. Mondays were usually their days off from work and they most likely spent the day together enjoying coffee and watching a dating show. That was their favorite past time. When they weren’t too busy screaming their throats parched.

I lugged my backpack over my shoulder and entered the house, feeling despair at the intimidating amount of homework I had today. Entering the living room, I discovered an open bottle of beer on the table. The drinker, my mother, was lounging at the other end, looking dreadful. She was still dressed in her pajamas and her eyes looked bloodshot. Not from the consumption of alcohol however, but from crying.

I dropped my bag at my feet, forgetting my need for organization before sitting beside my mom. She looked ready to collapse, turning to smile feebly before leaning her head on my shoulder. I was on the verge of tears because my mom never looked defeated. She was the driver, the pusher, the encourager of this family. I usually inclined my head to rest on her shoulders. But it was rarely vice versa.

“Mom, what’s wrong?” I asked quietly, already expecting the answer.

“Oh nothing,” she replied in a lame attempt for a joyful voice, “Just a little fight with dad. That’s all. Nothing to worry about.”

I didn’t want to pester her about it and I didn’t want the both of us to break down in tears, so I nodded, choked of words, before heading to my room to clean my already spotless room.


“Soo, why don’t we go to the club tonight?”

I had called her after I finished all of my assignments, desperately trying to find a distraction to shove today’s upsetting events.

“Why? You hate it on weekends, why would you go today?” she asked.

“I just want to.”

She sighed. I sensed that she was already suspecting that I was feeling not like myself today. But she knew not to pester me about it. That was the way I dealt with problems. Alone and single handedly. She already learned her mistake when my grandmother died and I didn’t talk for a whole week.

“Fine. I hope Kai’s going.”


Thirty minutes later, I sat on my usual stool and sipped my frequently ordered water. Alone and sulking. That’s how I usually entered and left this club. I didn’t know why I suggested coming here anyways. I didn’t enjoy it as much as Sooyeon and Min do. They were already busy sashaying around.

As my night was already ruined, it had to get worse because guess who had to sit right next to me?

Kai of all people.

Kai.

I was miserable enough without him around and I told him.

“Leave me alone. If you’re planning to call me ugly and hit on my friends, go do it yourself because I have solid evidence that they’re interested in you,” I said through gritted teeth.

“But girls like it when guys play hard to get. And they’re really interested in me?”

“Yeah. But just leave me alone. Seriously. You’re annoying me.” I looked at him, dressed in his white T-shirt, cardigan and nice-fitting jeans. I wasn’t going to appreciate how great he looked though, so I turned back to glare at my water.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” he asked in a soft voice. His hand gently touched my shoulder, as if offering comfort. “_____?”

“I told you to just get the hell out of here.”

“Not until you tell me. What happened? You look like you’re about to collapse.”

I wanted to vent my anxiety and anger and frustration out. I wanted to scream at him and relish his look afterward because not everyone had the leisure to have fun. I felt just about to explode, to release all the emotions bottled within like untamed electricity, pumping through me. My mom and dad were fighting. Everything was crumbling around me when I was so sure they were built to last.

And he kept persisting me.

I was just one damn person and I did one bad thing. I wanted a distraction and there was a perfect one sitting right beside me.

So I kissed Kai.

His hands, which were rested on my shoulders, were now flung up in surprise. I opened my eyes to watch his reaction. His dark eyes were opened, aghast looking, before they closed. His fingers pressed against my waist, then reached up to my cheek and tugged on my stick-straight hair. His aggression was stunning, pulling me toward him and kissing back with enough passion.

And I didn’t want to admit it but he was skillful in kissing. Really skillful.

It was like we couldn’t get close enough as he pulled at me and I pressed closer. Our lips were the center of everything as adrenaline pumped through my body.

And all thoughts of pleasure and happiness vanished when I realized who I was locking lips with. Everything came flooding back, and a surge of anger along with a tiny bit of bliss roared through me. I pushed him away, disgusted at myself for acting so recklessly. Especially being reckless with this womanizer. I shoved him away as he looked at me, pleased.

I felt stupid.

“What was that?” he breathed.

Before he could comment any further, I slapped him across his cheek. The contact was hard and my hand pulsed with pain before I fled out into the cold.