5 - A Handful of Stars

A Handful of Stars

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Yes. I don’t think I’ll ever consider myself loving someone else other than her.”

 

The tall figure hid herself as Tiffany walked passed her. 

Tears fell.  And there was no way she would have controlled the stream of water from grazing her face. She clutched her chest, like it would lessen the pain that she’s feeling at the moment. Regret started to engulf her from the inside. Her realization came too late. 10 years too late.

It was never her intention to eavesdrop. She was on her way to Jessica when she heard about their conversation. Half of her wished she never left her room, so she wouldn’t have heard of Jessica’s feelings but she was thankful enough to have overheard the two. She was about to confess, and because she heard it loud and clear, that Jessica wouldn’t consider anybody else, she saved herself from humiliation. Friendship saved. It was over. There was no point in confessing. She wiped her eyes dry, took a huge amount of air, breathed out and took heavy steps towards the balcony.

 

 

SooYoung’s POV

 

 “Hey”

“SooYoungie”

“Seen any shooting stars?”

“No not yet.”

“How long are you planning to wait for them?” I asked.

“Today’s the last day but I still would be looking out for them occasionally. However for my wish to be granted, hmmmnn.. as long as it takes.” She looked deep into my eyes and I couldn’t help but feel the twinge of pain from my heart.

“That could take forever if you must know.”

“I know but I’ll wait still.”

“Sica don’t end up like me, all you’ll get is a broken heart and a stiff neck and a cold too if you’re lucky. “

“Choi SooYoung are you kidding me?”

“No. Save yourself the heartbreak. If you want something work your off to get it. Don’t go wasting your time waiting and wishing.” Because that’s what I did, I waited, I hoped but by doing so I only ended up loving you from afar. Just like wishing on stars.

“Here I got these for you.” I said as I took Sica’s hand and placed a handful of stars in her palm.

“Paper stars? Why?” she asked confusedly.

I sighed before letting her hand go and looked at the morning sky.

“It’s a star for every night you spent waiting for shooting stars. If the skies can’t grant your wishes I figured I can help you with whatever you’re wishing for.”

“Why would you do that?”

“Let’s say it’s just between me and the stars. ”

I smiled at her, squeezed her hands gently before closing them on the handful of stars before I turned my back. Turned my back on the one person I would never want to lose but eventually did. Because she was never mine to lose. No stars will fall for me tonight, only tears of regret, of sacrifice and of love that can never be.

“SooYoungie I--..”

“Go to bed Sica.” I said as I cut her off.

“But..”

“Please? Don’t make me use my aegyo on you.”

“Use it and you’ll get hit! Aren’t you going in?”

“I’ll stay for a couple of minutes. I need some time to clear my head.”

“Okay” she hugged me and kissed me goodnight before heading towards our room.

I looked back at the velvet horizon which bore witness to my idiotic smiles whenever I think about Jessica. My hopeful prayers when I was wishing that she’d fall for me too. Those were happy times, I never realize I would still be looking out at the same horizon as I begin my new chapter of letting my feelings go, if I have the strength to do so.

I looked up. One last wish before I finally give up.

 

I wish you the same happiness I felt when I found out that I love you.

 

Author’s POV

 

She looked down. Her eyes blinded by tears as she slowly made her way back to her room. Little did she know the stars started falling from the sky. Hundreds, thousands maybe.

.

.

.

.

The meteor shower has began. 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

short update. let me know what you think..

thanks for subscribing and for all the comments i really appreciate it. ^___^

 

- iheartyoungie