Chaining Silver: Chapter 15

Chaining Silver

 

 

Please fasten your seatbelts…

 

Hyungsik and Ryeowook peered out the window, both of them uneasy. It wasn’t that plane rides were all that terrible. Instead, they had never really liked the idea of travelling for hours on end in the air. Ryeowook had motion sickness and Hyungsik had claustrophobia. The only upside was that they were riding in the front two seats with the most stretching room.

A stewardess walked by carrying blankets and pillows, offering it to them. Ryeowook took it quickly and started arranging it over the two of them. “It’s always so cold on here,” he muttered, yawning and curling up against his fiancé.

“We could always just turn off the fans,” Hyungsik remarked, brushing a kiss across Ryeowook’s hair.

“But then people start to smell bad without air circulation,” he mumbled, looking up at the handsome boy.

“What?” the younger of the two chuckled. He glanced out the window again, wondering what time of day it would be once they got to New York. There was supposed to be a specialist just outside of the city. The more important stop was after that appointment though.

Hyungsik rummaged around in his bag, pulling out a notebook. “Here, we should probably write our vows now.”

Ryeowook sat up, looking down at the blank sheet of loose leaf handing to him. “…are we really writing these when we’re together? Shouldn’t we be doing this separately?”

“Why?” his lover’s eyes were twinkling with amusement, “You don’t want me to see what you say? You’re going to be telling me anyway, aren’t you?” Hyungsik placed a pen in the older male’s hand. “Just write. I promise I won’t look.”

“You promise?” Ryeowook asked hesitantly.

“Yes, yes, I promise,” Hyungsik assured, “now concentrate. We only have one day to make these perfect, you know.”

“You’re being so dramatic,” he muttered, smiling when he saw annoyance flash in his lover’s eyes. It was pretty endearing to be honest. Ryeowook couldn’t imagine anyone else who would be so sweet and sincere about something like marriage vows.

 

***

 

Not even halfway into the flight, Ryeowook was fast asleep. He snored softly, head resting on Hyungsik’s shoulder. The blankets were pulled up high around his neck, covering his smaller body.

Out the window, it was still quite dark with nothing but clouds to blur the vision. A portion of the white wing could be seen if he leaned far enough over and pressed his face to the window, but that seemed a little extreme. Besides, Hyungsik was completely absorbed in writing something or other.

However, it didn’t appear to be the vows anymore. This one was at least two and a half pages already. Hyungsik stared at his scribbled handwriting and sighed. “No…no, no, no,” he muttered, turning the notebook to a fresh page.

He first took a deep breath and pressed his pen to the paper, beginning again.

 

Dear Ryeowook,

 

We’ve had so many—

 

Not even bothering to halt, he just flipped the page and tried again.

 

Dear My Husband…

 

Scribble.

 

To the Love of My Short Life—

Scribble. “Depressing much,” Hyungsik mumbled, shaking off the coldness.

Starting on a new page one more time, he pulled up his torn out vows sheet and reread it, wondering what had sparked his feelings while writing such an intimate statement.

Hyungsik’s expression softened, the appearance of frustration melting away bit by bit. Folding the paper back up, he tucked it safely away and pushed the tip of his pen down on the blank paper.

Before he began writing, his eyes shifted to Ryeowook who was slumbering so peacefully. Kissing the boy’s head, Hyungsik turned back to his note, feeling his body thrumming with energy. He really couldn’t think of anything better to say and the only thing running through his mind was a short phrase.

 

My Gorgeous Ryeowook,

 

Do You See What I See?

 

Forever Your Husband,

Hyungsik