Chaining Silver: Chapter 13

Chaining Silver

 

 

“Day 1: Moving In,” Ryeowook announced into the video camera. He turned the device away from him to slowly film the interior of their apartment. Some boxes were littered around the floor and the windows were wide open to get fresh air circulating through the living room. “It’s June 20th today and we’re finally out on our own. Hyungsik is getting the last box from the car and then I think we’re going to—”

Two arms swooped down, catching him around his middle. Ryeowook cried out, laughing and shaking the video camera in his attempts to get back on his feet. “And then we’re going to leave these boxes here like immature teenagers and go grocery shopping so we have food to eat tonight,” Hyungsik finished the sentence, correcting whatever his boyfriend had planned on saying.

Ryeowook turned his head, lowering the recorder so he could kiss the taller boy. “I love food,” he beamed.

“Good, I love it too,” Hyungsik lowered his gaze to look at the high school graduate, “so what are you going to cook me tonight?”

 

***

 

“Day 12: We’re finally unpacked,” the seventeen–year old stated, looking rather proud of himself. He pressed a finger to his lips and nodded towards their closed bedroom door. “It’s still early, and Ryeowookie is asleep…so let’s be quiet and surprise him.”

Hyungsik silently stepped inside the room, directing the camera towards the lump of tangled blankets. “Isn’t he adorable?” he whispered, winking at chuckling quietly. Pressing his hand into the mattress, he began creeping onto the bed. The device fumbled and crashed into the sheets, which was quickly followed by grumbling and laughter.

“You’re so cute,” he mumbled, caressing the sleepy boy’s face. Hyungsik kissed him sweetly, nibbling softly on Ryeowook’s bottom lip. “Wake up so we can go out on a date.”

“No…,” the older male grouched, drowsy eyes shining with amusement, “…I don’t wanna go on a date…”

“What? You don’t want to go somewhere with me?” Hyungsik grinned teasingly.

“Not at all,” he muttered, giggling as he felt light kisses spread across his cheeks and neck.

“What a cold husband I have…”

Ryeowook weaved his fingers through Hyungsik’s hair, pulling his face back up. “I love you.”

“I love you, too, gorgeous,” he whispered gently, nuzzling into the slender digits gliding through his locks.

 

***

 

“Day 17: There was a neighborhood festival tonight.” Ryeowook was sitting cross legged on their bed, a towel around his neck. His hair was wet and there was a fresh flush from showering that brought color to his cheeks. Pushing some of those locks out of his face, Ryeowook smiled at the recorder, saying, “Hyungsik and I were playing with the kids, but then he accidentally set one of the trashcans on fire and so we all had to run away,” laughter tickled his throat as he finished explaining what happened.

The front door clicked open and Ryeowook looked over at it. Beaming, he turned the recorder off and shuffled into the living room, leaping forward and tackling the figure who was standing in the doorway. Their light has recently gone out and so the entire area was mainly black.

Ryeowook yelped when Hyungsik toppled over, halfway past the threshold. The neighbor’s front door light shined down on a scruffy faced man groaning in pain. A glass shattering scream pierced the night air and Ryeowook grabbed the nearest thing he could find – a potted plant, mind you – and lifted it over his head, ready to smash it into the homeless man’s face.

“Stop!” Hyungsik shouted, running over to his ‘husband’ and grabbing the plant away from him. “Oh god, Ryeowook, you can’t hit someone with this!” His eyes were wide and hysterical, flitting between the cowering man and his crying lover.

Wailing out rightly, Ryeowook wrapped his arms around the taller boy’s neck, clambering off the scared adult. “H-He…a-and…d-door…dark…!” he sniffled, burying his face in Hyungsik’s shoulder.

The latter patted the older one’s back, hugging him gently. Nonetheless, he aimed a kick at the wide eyed hobo who quickly grunted and scurried away. “Why didn’t you lock the door?” Hyungsik asked, kissing Ryeowook’s hair. “You know I have a key. I don’t need you to do something so dangerous.”

“I t-thought I did lock the d-door…,” he mumbled, beginning to calm down just a bit. Ryeowook tightened his hold on the tall male, lifting his head up. “…k-kiss me…?”

A blush streaked across his features. Nodding hesitantly, Hyungsik tilted his head slowly, eyes closing bit by bit. Very softly, their lips brushed and then brushed again, and then they were pressed flush against each other.

Ryeowook whimpered quietly into the kiss, parting his lips for his husband. Fingers tangled in hair and hands gripping clothes, they let their surroundings fade.

 

***

 

“Day 31: It probably won’t matter by the time you watch this, but I want to tell you no matter what.” Hyungsik cleared his throat, eyes serious. There was a glass balcony door behind him, showing into their living room. Fading sunlight dyed the video orange. “This fight…our first real fight…I want to tell you how much I regret it. They say couples who fight get closer, but for us, aren’t we already as close as possible? At this point, I don’t want to ever see you in pain. I never want to be the reason for you feeling…anything but happiness.” He took a deep breath and shut off the camera.

 

***

 

“Day 52: Hi…,” Ryeowook dragged the word out, giggling when he felt soft lips kissing his bare shoulder. Their pale green bed sheets and blankets were covering both of them only up to the waist. Both were bare-chested and smiling sleepily. “Good morning.”

“Morning, gorgeous,” Hyungsik returned, eyes glowing with tenderness. He wrapped his arm around the boy’s waist, pulling him closer. “Are you commemorating this day too?” he teased.

“It’s important isn’t it?” Ryeowook argued, blushing. He looked into the camera and shrugged sheepishly. “Day 52 is a very important day.”

“Turn it off, you dork,” the younger male laughed, pushing the recorder away and rolling them around until he was hovering above his husband. “That’s better.”

The elder grinned, leaning up…

 

***

 

“Day: 68: Nothing actually happened today,” Hyungsik began, holding the camera upwards so the lens was looking down on him. Beside his head was Ryeowook. The cream colored living room floor showed in the negative space. “We sat around and made smoothies, right?”

“Yeah, and then you spilled my smoothie,” Ryeowook grumbled, unable to help his smile.

The younger male rolled his eyes, leaning over to tickle his lover. Giggles burst from the slender boy and he tried to get away. Hyungsik chuckled, turning his attention back to the device. “To be fair, you took my smoothie after I spilled yours.”

“That’s hardly the point,” he argued, lips spreading in a grin before he rolled out of view, laughing and trying to escape from anymore tickling.

“Yah! This is the reason why we’re not really married!” Hyungsik exclaimed, suppressing his humor. The video camera shook and fumbled before cutting off.

 

The light clicked back on and Ryeowook’s face appeared. He was sitting alone at the kitchen table, a mug of tea in front of him. “In another life, in another year, universe, or world…anything but where we are now…I would marry you in a heartbeat.”