Chaining Silver: Chapter 14

Chaining Silver

 

 

 

Ryeowook finished washing the dishes and looked outside, smiling when he saw the orange rays of the setting sun. It really was calming no matter what mood he was in or what sort of day it had been.

“Are you done?” Hyungsik popped his head into the kitchen, hair slightly mussed from the shower he had taken after dinner.

“Yes,” he answered, walking over with a worried expression. Ryeowook gently ran his fingers through the wet locks, eyes searching his husband’s face. “Did you feel alright showering? The doctor said there was a sudden jump in the weakening of your immune system—”

Hyungsik pulled the older male’s hands away from his head, an exasperated smile on his lips. “—please don’t act like my mother. We’re married.”

“Technically, we aren’t,” Ryeowook teased, stifling his wishes to continue fussing over the boy.

“Hmm,” the latter’s mouth quirked up. Hyungsik conceded silently though and took his lover’s hand. “Hey, let’s go for a walk.”

“Are you sure…,” he stopped himself, sighing under his breath. Squeezing the taller one’s hand, Ryeowook trailed after him, slipping on sandals on the way out the door. Only after they had gotten down the steps of the building did he realize that he forgot something. “Wait, wait we have to go back!”

“What’s wrong?” Hyungsik chuckled.

“I forgot our video camera.” He tried to get out of his lover’s grip, but Hyungsik refused to let go.

Arms wrapped around Ryeowook’s waist, pulling him flush against the handsome younger one’s body. “For today, is it okay if we don’t have the film? I have something I want to talk about.” Hyungsik pressed a fleeting kiss on the boy’s lips, eyes lowered and close to Ryeowook’s.

Slowly, the latter nodded his head and leaned up to kiss him sweetly. “If that’s what you want,” he smiled.

“Great,” the boy murmured. Reluctantly, he separated from Ryeowook and reclaimed his hand as they walked further down the street. Their sunset was still radiant and far in the horizon, looking absolutely magnificent from that point.

“Am I allowed to ask where we’re going?” Ryeowook prompted, looking up Hyungsik with amusement.

“If I knew, I would definitely tell you,” he responded lightly.

“Then are we just going around the neighborhood?” the soon-to-be college student cocked an eyebrow. He swung their linked hands, watching the long shadows play freely across the stone surfaces and cement. “I don’t mind that.”

Hyungsik’s eyes were warm with enough affection to make Ryeowook’s heart skip a beat. “You really are perfect for me, aren’t you?”

“What are you talking about?” he laughed, face flushed.

“What I mean is that neither of us has ever cared about the location…or at least, it’s never been the most important part of what we are together.” Hyungsik stopped as they neared the end of the street. At that point, there was a great sloping hill that brought out the suburb’s beauty, but also it brought about the best view of the setting sun.

Ryeowook was still confused. Pursing his lips, he tried to enjoy the scenery, but his mind was occupied with Hyungsik. What did he mean? No matter how he explained it, it didn’t make sense. “I think we do care about location. Even if it isn’t a beautiful, otherworldly place…we still have our little apartment. It’s our place, isn’t it?” Ryeowook turned to his husband, smiling. “But what were you thinking? What’s the most important part of our relationship?”

Hyungsik chuckled, gazing down at the now skinny young man. “The place, the time, the day, none of it matters. For us, the most important thing is memories. That’s all we’ll have, isn’t it?” His eyes trailed over to the side as if he were trying to figure out a good way to frame his next words. “…because in a few months I’m not going to be around anymore and all we have are these days to have as much fun as possible…and we have even less time to make things permanent.”

“Permanent?” he repeated, touching Hyungsik’s cheek and turning his face so their eyes could meet.

“Yeah, permanent,” the younger boy grinned.

“Elaborate, silly,” Ryeowook rolled his eyes, giggling a bit.

Hyungsik took a deep breath, smiling widely as he spoke in a casual voice, “You don’t know this, but I was going to give you the greatest proposal of your life. I wanted balloons, animals, confetti and everything in between, but things came up and I couldn’t do it that way.” He reached into his pocket, withdrawing a simple ring. There were no jewels on it, nor was there even an engraving. The band was silver and clean and absolutely perfect in his eyes. “I know it’s not a lot or anything even close to significant, but—”

“—yes, yes, yes, yes – of course yes!” Ryeowook cried out, throwing his arms around Hyungsik’s neck, bursting into tears as he clung to the boy who made up his entire world.

They spun around, laughing and for one of them, crying. Hyungsik sighed a tad exasperatedly, but there was obvious adoration in his expression. “You cry over everything. How am I supposed to know when you’re really upset?” he teased.

“I would marry you anywhere,” he sobbed, struggling between wailing and laughing, “anytime, any day…always, always…no matter how many times you ask…,” Ryeowook buried his face in Hyungsik’s neck, body pressed tightly against the taller boy.

“Then get married to me now.”

“What?” Ryeowook pulled back, eyes widening.

Hyungsik wiped away some of his fiancé’s tears, kissing his cheek gently. “In a few days, I have to go to America for treatment. When we’re there, no one will know us, our parents can’t say anything, and we can have a legal ceremony.”

“You’ve really been thinking about this?” he whispered, heart racing frantically at the idea of being truly married.

“Yeah,” he nodded slowly, “…I don’t want to die knowing I never married the person I love.”