Epilogue

Soft Edges

 

                “Luhan’s back!” the children cried, dashing into the dining room and tugging on Xue’s skirt. “Luhan’s back!”

                “What?” Xue asked. She picked Xiaoli up and wiped her face. “No, kids, Luhan lives in Duven now. I didn’t even think some of you remembered—”

                “No, they’re right,” Luhan chuckled, and Xue whipped around. She looked startled for a moment, and her eyes filled with tears.

                “Luhan,” she wept, hugging him closely. “I can’t believe it’s already been four years.”

                “It has been a while, though. Lots has happened,” Luhan said. He looked at the sunny dining room and all the children crowded around Xue.

                “Xiaoli, go get Mingming and Kai. They’ll want to see Luhan,” Xue said, and little Xiaoli went running off, out of the dining room. Xue looked behind Luhan and smiled.

                “So, is this…” she began, and Luhan nodded, beaming.

                “This is Minseok,” he said, “but I’ll wait to introduce him properly until everyone is here.” Xue smiled at the two of them, and Minseok gave a slight bow. “Oh, Minseokie, this is Xue. She was my caretaker.”

                “Tea, you two?” she asked, and they both nodded. “Luhan, do you still take yours black?”

                “No, I take milk and sugar now,” he smiled, looking at Minseok, who smiled back. Xue looked at Luhan thoughtfully.

                “Have you ever heard of the myth that those who take milk and sugar in their tea are happy?” Xue asked, and Luhan laughed.

                “A wise woman told me that myth a few days after I arrived in Duven. It’s really true.”

                “I know,” Xue laughed, “and that’s why I always tried to get you to take milk and sugar in your tea. You never would. And now you do so willingly. I’m proud of you.” She poured the tea for all three of them, and sat them down at a table near the kitchen, all the children still crowding around them.

                “Luhan’s back?” he heard a cry, and a young woman came dashing into the room, followed by Kai, who was still as handsome and tan as ever. But Luhan was focused on the girl.

                “Mingming,” he breathed. “You’ve really grown up!” She put her hands on her hips and pouted at him.

                “Well yeah. I’m sixteen now,” she said. “Four years changes everyone.” Luhan stood up and hugged her.

                “I missed you,” he said, and her eyes widened.

                “Four years even changed you,” she said, looking surprised. Luhan just smiled and sat back down. She sat next to Xue, and Kai sat down next to Luhan.

                “Long time no see,” Kai said. “Found your place yet?”

                “I’ve found it,” Luhan reassured him. “Thanks for your help.”

                “It’s my job,” Kai grinned. Luhan smiled and cleared his throat.

                “Guys, I’d like you all to meet someone. This is Minseok. He’s my boyfriend,” Luhan announced, and the children all oohed and aahed.

                “It’s nice to meet you all,” Minseok said shyly. And suddenly, the children all pounced on him, showering him with hugs and hellos. Xue laughed.

                “It’s nice to meet you too, Minseok,” she said. “Thanks for being here for our Luhan. I think you’re one of the first people to ever make it into his heart.”

                “I’m jealous,” Mingming laughed. “I never could.”

                “Minseokie is my gateway,” Luhan said, hugging Minseok tight. He glared at the children. “Minseokie is mine,” he snarled, and the children all shrieked with laughter. Luhan laughed too. “So, where are the others?”

                “Only a few have left since you did. Wufan was a few months after you, and he went to Trus, so we still see him fairly often. Lay went almost three years ago, to the capital city of Cigon to work in their famous hospital. Chen left last year and he’s in Modom, and Tao left three months ago to Yossa.”

                “Wow,” Luhan replied. “I hope they all find their places as easily as I did.” Minseok laughed.

                “You took forever, in my opinion,” he chuckled, and Luhan poked him indignantly.

                “I didn’t,” Luhan protested. Xue laughed heartily.

                “I’m so glad to see that you’re happy,” she said proudly. Luhan nodded.

                “I’m so happy,” Luhan said, glancing at Minseok with a look of utmost adoration in his eyes. They all chatted over tea, and Minseok realized that as much as he’d loved the house, Minseok was his real home.

                “Oh, that’s right. Xiaoli, do you want to show Luhan and Minseok your room?” Xue asked the little girl standing there. She nodded happily and took Luhan and Minseok’s hands.

                “Wait, is this the same Xiaoli that was one or two when I left?” Luhan asked, and Xue nodded.

                “Ruoyun and Xiaoli share a room,” Xiaoli said proudly. “I’ll show you!” She led Luhan and Minseok up the stairs, and as soon as they turned right off the staircase, Luhan knew where Xiaoli was taking them. She opened the door, and proudly stood in the room.

                Luhan’s old room had been repainted a pale pink, but the furniture remained the same, down to the vase that Mingming had once put a thistle in.

                “Xiaoli knows what kind of flower that is,” she told them. “It’s a lavender.”

                “Xiaoli is so smart,” Minseok said, patting her head. She smiled at them. “Minseokie and Luhannie love each other, right?”

                “So much,” Luhan nodded, and Xiaoli looked happy.

                “Love is good,” she said simply, and Luhan agreed.

                “Love is great,” he told her. Xue appeared behind them, smiling.

                “So, what do you think?” she asked, and Luhan laughed.

                “It’s a little girlier than I remember, but other than that, it’s pretty similar.”

                “Do you want to stay here tonight? Ruoyun and Xiaoli can go room with Mei and Kelin. I’m sure the girls won’t mind having a little sleepover.”

                “Can Minseokie and I sleep in Xiaoli’s room?” Luhan asked Xiaoli, and she nodded.

                “Be good,” she said, and Minseok turned bright pink. Luhan laughed, and after a few seconds of shock, Xue joined in as well.

                “Thanks, Xue,” Luhan smiled.

                That evening, Luhan and Minseok took a walk in the wildflower field near the house. They walked hand in hand towards the sunset.

                “Do you like them?” Luhan asked, and Minseok nodded.

                “They’re all great,” he said. “I don’t see why you were ever unhappy here.”

                “Because I didn’t have you,” Luhan smiled, and Minseok looked at him with love in his eyes. They sat down in the tall grass, surrounded by colorful flowers. They remained silent for a few seconds, before Luhan took another breath. “I love you so much, you know that? I know it sounds cliché and all but you are actually my reason for being.”

                “I love you more,” Minseok teased, and Luhan laughed.

                “Impossible,” he challenged.

                “Extremely possible,” Minseok said. Luhan took his face in his hands and kissed him sweetly, tasting the sugary sweet of the tea on his tongue.

                “Minseok,” Luhan said seriously. “Can I ask you something?”

                “Go ahead,” Minseok replied, holding Luhan’s hand lovingly in his gentle fingers.

                “Will you marry me?” he asked. Minseok’s grip on Luhan’s fingers tightened.

                “What?” he cried, his eyes looking eager and tearful all at the same time.

                “Will you marry me?” Luhan repeated, and tears spilled from Minseok’s eyes.

               “Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!” he cried. He launched himself into Luhan’s arms, littering his face with kisses and tears. “Yes a million times over, yes!”

               “Oh god, I love you so much,” Luhan said, starting to tear up himself, he was so happy. “I love you so so much.”

               “I love you more,” Minseok laughed tearily.

               “Impossible,” Luhan said again.

               “I love you,” Minseok said. “I love you.”

               They lay there together in the field until the stars came out.

               Luhan had never been so happy in his entire life.

               But then again, he said that every time he was with Minseok. Because it was true. 

 


 

A/N: Okay so I wasn't planning on writing an epilogue but it just sort of came to me and I hope this doesn't ruin the ending but I kind of like it. Brings it full circle. 

And thirteen chapters was unlucky anyway. 

Okay now this story is officially done. Thanks for reading, everyone!

♥ Exie (p.s. Please come say hi to me on tumblr!)