Step Four

Breaking Up For Dummies

 

S T E P F O U R ;

Do it calmly. Know what to say.


 

Sa Eun shut her eyes. “I don’t think you and I are really going in the right direction together.” It sounded good in her head, but she cringed at the words once she said them. She told herself it didn’t matter, and stared at his face, waiting for a response.

Chanyeol blinked, obviously confused, then rubbed his neck, stuffed his hands in his pockets and said, “What do you mean?” He felt his heart begin to pound nervously, but he wasn’t sure why.

Taking a deep breath, Sa Eun continued, “What I mean is that I think we have different expectations of this relationship and-”

“Expectations?”

“Yeah. Like what we want from each other.” Sa Eun looked side to side, about to continue, when Chanyeol interrupted her again, his voice frantic.

“Sa Eun, I don’t want anything from you. I don’t understand…what are you trying to say?”

 

“What do you think they’re talking about?” Luhan asked, turning to glance out the window.

Sunny leaned forward, gazing in the same direction, shrugging. “Who knows…” Luhan twisted back to face her, not expecting her to be so close. He widened his eyes, and Sunny flew back into her chair, blushing.

“Um…” Luhan rubbed his head, looking away. “Should we go see? They’ve been out there for a while.”

Sunny looked reluctant. “What if they’re talking about something serious?”

“It’s Chanyeol, Sunny.” Luhan said, chuckling. He stood, motioning with his head for her to follow. “Come on.”

Sunny smiled, slightly perturbed, and followed, rubbing her hands together. The closer they got to the door, the more she felt they should leave the two alone, especially considering Sa Eun’s behavior lately. Sunny slowed down, noticing Chanyeol’s face through the glass. He was definitely not his usual self; his eyes were drooped downward, his mouth in a frown, bottom lip slightly quivering. Even his bouncy hair was looking flat.

“I don’t have a good feeling about this…” Sunny said. Still, she followed Luhan to the door, figuring if Sa Eun had something going on, she would have told her best friend. After all, Sa Eun always told her what was on her mind. Right?

-

Sa Eun took a deep breath, trying to keep calm. Chanyeol was not usually the slow type; why was it taking him so long to understand?

“Do you want something more of me? Is that what you mean?” Chanyeol chuckled uneasily. “Just tell me, Sa Eun.”

Not liking the sound of his voice, which was beginning to turn somewhat condescending, Sa Eun threw her hands in the air, letting out an angry groan.

The door to the shop opened, but both ignored it; If Sa Eun didn’t say it at that moment, she could continue to put it off, which was the last thing she wanted. First Chanyeol is being dumb, and now an interruption? Sa Eun’s anger was rising; she had to get it over with. She took another huge inhale, then clenched her fists, her voice rising. “I want to break up!” she yelled.

Sunny, Luhan, and Chanyeol all stared at her, immobile, their eyes wide, mouths dropped open. Sa Eun bit her lip, staring at Chanyeol. “That’s what I mean.” she said softly.

-

A splashing sound coming from the lake and awoke Kris and Sa Eun, fallen asleep together in the grass. Sa Eun rubbed her eyes, then widened them, tapping Kris on the shoulder. “Ya! Look!” she yelled, pointing to their fishing pole.

It was swaying back and forth, and in the water was a struggling fish. “Oh!” Kris jumped up and took hold of the pole, leaning back on the strength of his legs to pull the fish up.

Sa Eun rushed over and put her hands over his, heaving backwards with all her might. “Why is it so heavy!?” she declared, biting her lip as her hands began slipping off of his.

Kris chuckled, a giant smile on his face. “Just keep tugging!”

Sa Eun gripped tighter, then put as much weight into it as she could, and in one swift motion, the fishing pole came clear out of the water, and both Kris and Sa Eun were on their backs in the dirt. Sa Eun immediately sat up. “Did we get it?”

Kris pushed himself up, crouching over to the front of the pole. He bent down, laughing as he lifted the hook, free of any animal. “Looks like it got away.” He said, shaking his head. A soft smile remained on his face, and he set the hook back in the ground, looking out to the water. “Damn fish.” He whispered, his hands on his hips.

Sa Eun sighed, her shoulders dropping. “Man…I really wanted to catch one.”

Kris turned to face her, then smiled mischievously. He raised his eyebrows, rubbing his chin with his hand. “Well then,” he said playfully, “I guess we’ll just have to stay here until we do.”

-

“You could have handled that a lot better,” Sunny scolded, her eyes roaming around The Starz as she handed Sa Eun her drink.

It was true, and Sa Eun knew it, but she couldn’t think straight anymore; all that was embedded in her mind was the look Chanyeol gave her when she told him only a day earlier.

Despondence.

Shock.

Hurt.

Disbelief.

She couldn’t think of just one way to describe it.

Sa Eun twirled her straw around in her drink, sighing. “I know,” she said. The more she thought about it, the more she regretted the way she broke up with Chanyeol. It probably seemed so out of the blue and unexpected, and he probably thought she was the most selfish person on the planet now.

She let out a sigh, throwing her head on the table in front of her. She had done this with several guys before, so why did it feel so wrong this time?



comments? T ^ T