Step Three

Breaking Up For Dummies

 

S T E P T H R E E ;

Get your friends’ advice.


Luhan and Chanyeol were known for their stellar duets and complete musical compatibility, but Sa Eun had never once heard a performance by them that was this breathtaking. She had already let Sunny convince her to see them perform at The Starz coffee house, but was now irrevocably allowing herself to fall in love with Chanyeol’s deep, raspy voice all over again.

Chanyeol was best at rapping, but when he began singing, almost no one could keep their eyes off him, especially Sa Eun. Something about his voice was refreshing, and she felt as light as air when she listened.

Even though she had heard him sing several times, it seemed that with each new day he improved, and was capable of captivating someone with each performance.

On that particular day, Chanyeol and Luhan decided to perform “My Valentine” by 2pm’s Taecyeon, a personal favorite of Sa Eun’s, which was not helpful for Sa Eun, who had decided if she didn’t end things today, everything would be more difficult for all of them.

“Wow, they’re good,” Sunny whispered.

Sa Eun gulped, eyes locked on Chanyeol, then nodded slowly, unable to speak.

“Aren’t you glad I had you come?” Sunny teased, poking her in the stomach.

Sa Eun bit her lip, feeling somewhat guilty. She watched as Chanyeol innocently strummed his guitar, singing his heart out as he directed his gaze at her.

His usual lively, active personality seemed almost nonexistent by the way he leaned into the music, putting his entire soul into each word.

Sa Eun sighed, wishing she didn’t know him at all so she could start things over.

This is how it always seemed to happen for her, but somehow, she couldn’t break the habit. A perfectly sane, kind guy such as Chanyeol would come around, and Sa Eun would push him away, fearing that if she didn’t, he’d soon break her heart or end things himself.

Probably because of past experience, Sa Eun no longer trusted any relationship she was in, or the future she may have with someone. She knew it was wrong, but she also knew she couldn’t take another heartbreak.

Chanyeol and Luhan stopped playing, and the place erupted into a round of applause and cheering. Chanyeol stood and bowed, his exaggerated grin even larger as he thanked the people around him proudly.

Sa Eun’s eeys widened, realizing the song was finished, and also that her eyes were wet with tears. She rose, eager to leave before she had to confront Chanyeol. She couldn’t do it. She couldn’t break up with him today.

Silently cursing Sunny for bringing her to The Starz, and herself for not telling Sunny about it all earlier, she leaned over, whispering to her friend. “Sunny, tell Chan I had somewhere to be, okay?” Without giving Sunny a glance, or hearing her objection, Sa Eun rushed out the door.

Chanyeol stepped off the stage, his eyes searching for his girlfriend. He caught her running out the door and caved his eyes in, surprised. “Where is she going?” he said to himself. Biting his lip, he lunged forward, quickly heading after her, the fringe of his hair bouncing as he pushed through the crowd.

-

Luhan, keeping his cool, chic expression, set the guitar down, placing his hands in his pockets as he hopped off the stage, rolling up the sleeves of his plaid shirt, ed just enough to see the top of his chest, and the moon-shaped necklace that hung over it. He found his way to Sunny’s table, pursing his lips as he sat down. “What’s with them?” he asked, pointing a thumb to the door.

Sunny shrugged, leaning to one side to get a better view of Chanyeol. Luhan enlarged his eyes, shaking his head as he reached for a soda.

It was unusual that Sunny and Luhan be together without Sa Eun and Chanyeol, so the air was awkward and silent for a couple minutes. It wasn’t that they weren’t friends, but they only knew each other through their best friends, and weren’t particularly close. Not to mention, Luhan usually kept quiet, mainly because Chanyeol was always continually talking. In addition, Sunny was usually busy studying, and was too shy around guys to make conversation. This time, though, she spoke first.

“You’re beautiful.” She said.

Luhan turned to face her, his face strangely red. “What?” he asked, chuckling slightly.

Sunny felt her face heat up. “Oh…I mean your voice.” She corrected. “You and Chanyeol sounded great.” Quickly she reached for her own drink, chugging it down.

Luhan smiled. “Oh, thanks.” He said, lifting his soda. “I’ve worked pretty hard at it.”

“Seems that way. Chanyeol has improved a lot too.”

With a nod, Luhan replied, “He says he’s finally got inspiration.” His voice was sardonic, and he rolled his eyes, continuing, “I’m assuming he means Sa Eun.”

Sunny laughed, smiling weakly. “Oh…” she paused, biting her lip, “I hope she hasn’t given up yet…” she said, this time to herself.

Sunny knew about Sa Eun’s problem with commitment, and, though she had tried numerous times to help her, Sa Eun’s mind was a stubborn one, and Sunny’s attempts always failed. It didn’t help that Sa Eun never listened to Sunny, no matter what. Sunny sighed, glancing outside at Sa Eun and Chanyeol as they stood on the sidewalk, their faces straight. “I hope she’s not running away already…”

-

Chanyeol flung the door open, slowing down as he met the sidewalk. “Sa Eun!” he called.

Sa Eun stopped a few feet in front of him, wiping the fresh tears from her eye with the palm of one hand.

Chanyeol’s happy-virus smile faded as he took a step forward. “Sa…Eun…are you okay?”

Sa Eun stayed facing the other direction for a couple moments, planning in her head what to say. Once she had gathered her thoughts, she spun around, her face pink. “Chanyeol-ah…”

Chanyeol swallowed, his eyebrows raising. “Yes?” he asked curiously. “What’s bothering you?” His eyes watched hers, glimmering in the moonlight. Sa Eun couldn’t speak for a moment, and she blinked, trying to hide their appearance. “What’s wrong?” His voice was urgent and worried, but Sa Eun ignored it the best she could.

Sa Eun shook her head once, then focused her eyes back on his. “There’s something I need to tell you.”


Hopefully this chapter clears some things up. ^^ whoop double chapter update!

edit; the old version of aff is finally up so this was recovered. thanks for subscribing guys you rock.

comments?