Step One

Breaking Up For Dummies

 

S T E P O N E ;
Think things over. Be sure you want to.

 

“Kris, stop!” Sa Eun giggled as Kris teasingly moved the worm closer to her face. She leaned away, pushing his shoulder back, but he only shifted his weight to his knees, leaning closer as he continued to taunt her. “Stop!”

Sa Eun leaned backwards, falling into the grass. Kris laughed, then helped her up, setting the worm back in the can of bait. He let out a long sigh and brushed his hands off, leaning them back behind him.

Sa Eun immediately began fixing her hair, pouting. “Ya. You made my hair get messy.” She scolded, crossing her arms.

Kris turned to face her, a mischievous smile planted on his face. He chuckled, reaching out to pull one lock behind her ear. “You look fine.” He turned back toward the lake, admiring the water as it sparkled under the sunset.

Sa Eun felt herself blush, and she brought her knees to her chest, hugging her legs. She squinted her eyes, her smile beaming at the sight of the sky’s reflection in the lake. “Wow…it looks so beautiful.”

Kris said nothing, but nodded, his head falling to one side, the front of his hair sweeping his eyes. He blinked several times before clearing his throat and saying, “Think we’ll catch anything?”

Sa Eun shook her head, pursing her lips. “We’ve been out here for hours.” She complained. “I don’t think the fish like us.” She began rocking back and forth, her eyes not leaving the sky.

Kris narrowed his eyes at her. “Ya, Sa Eun-ah. What kind of confidence is that? Huh?” he reached out and poked her side, and she lurched away, glaring at him. “Huh? Huh?” Kris continued to poke her until he began tickling her stomach, smiling indefinitely as she struggled.

Sa Eun erupted into uncontrollable laughter, attempting to push him off of her. “Kris!” She grabbed his hands, and he finally stopped, pulling her up close to him. She let out a long breath, clutching her stomach. “Aigoo, it hurts.” She said.

Kris grinned, then pulled her near, his hand setting her head on his shoulder. His arm rested on her arm, and her hands wrapped around his waist. They stared out into the horizon without another word, until Sa Eun’s eyes fluttered closed, and she drifted off to sleep.

~*~

“Well that’s the end of that relationship.” Sa Eun grumbled, throwing herself onto her bed. She stared at the ceiling, wearing a pout on her face that would not seem to go away. She covered her eyes with her forearm, letting out a long groan in agony. “Why did he have to say that?” she shook her head back and forth. “Especially after we had such a good time last night…”

She sprung up, bringing one finger to , her eyes rolling upwards. “Unless… did he really mean it?” Her eyes widened, and she gulped, feeling her heart skip a beat at the thought. “No…” she concluded, relaxing. “That can’t be.” Her face softened for a moment, her lip protruding forward. She bit her lip down, falling back again into her bed, her arms and legs spread apart from each other. She shook her body angrily, then reached for her phone across the bed.

“Sunny…” she said slowly as she typed in her friend’s name. “There you are.” Just as she was about to press the call button, her phone began buzzing in her hand. She shot up, her hair falling in her face, then blew it away to read the caller ID.

“Channie ^^ Calling” it read.

Sa Eun gasped, dropping the phone to the bed. She bit her lip, picking it up again frantically. “Aish! Why does he have to call now…” She contemplated answering for a moment, then slowly lifted it to her ear. “H-Hello?”

“Sa Eun-ah!” his light-toned voice rang through her ear, and Sa Eun felt her heart flutter for a second. She cleared , taking in a deep breath.

“Yes?” she asked.

“Are you busy?”

Sa Eun pulled her cheek down with one hand, rolling her eyes. “No…” she said painfully.

“Good! Because…I’m at your house! Come outside!” The call ended.

Sa Eun’s eyes grew, and she dropped open, immediately jumping off her bed. “He’s here?” she asked softly as she ran to her mirror to fix herself up. “Aigoo. I look terrible!” She threw her hair into a messy bun apathetically and soared out of her room and down the stairs, nearly throwing herself out the front door. Standing at the bottom of the steps was Chanyeol, dressed in black jeans and a red leather jacket. He smiled upon seeing her, and hopped up the steps to pull her into an embrace. Sa Eun felt her mind go blank as he squeezed her body against his, and she smiled, her eyes subconsciously shutting.

Chanyeol pulled away, then raised his eyebrows. “I brought you something.” He said teasingly, his hand reaching into his pocket.

Sa Eun blinked in confusion. “You did?” she asked, surprised at the gesture.

Chanyeol nodded, removing his hand from the pocket. The object in his hand caught the sun, shining brightly as he held it up for her to see. “It’s a bracelet.” He held it out to her, and she reluctantly retrieved it, holding it close to her eyes for viewing.

A small, pink charm in the shape of a heart was strung across the bracelet, with the letter S engraved on its front. “Whoa….it’s so pretty…” she said, a faint smile appearing on her face. She turned it over in her hand, admiring the silver chain, and bit the side of her lip, looking up at Chanyeol.

“You like it?” he asked happily.

“Mmm.” She nodded, her smile unreasonably large. She slipped it on her wrist, then held it up in the sunlight to admire it. She gulped. “It’s beautiful…” she said, feeling slightly guilty.

“It suits you.” Chanyeol concluded, crossing his arms as he nodded his head in approval. “Well anyway, I’m a bit busy with work so I’ll call you later, okay beautiful?” he took her face in his hands and kissed the top of her head, then turned around to leave.

Sa Eun watched as he left, then stared at her wrist, sighing.

~*~

Sa Eun stepped into her bedroom, touching the chain on her wrist. “What is this…” she said to herself. “It’s such a nice gift.” She inhaled. “But I know better…” Her lips pushed forward, and she sighed, slowly sliding it off of her hand. She walked to her bedside table and set it down, staring at it for a couple of moments before closing her eyes and sitting against her bed.

“Yep.” She said. “I definitely need to end things.”

A/N Okay…I promise it will get more interesting ^^;