End of A Day

Everybody loves Onew

Angst Jongyu...

Inspired by Jonghyun's new single, 'End of a Day'

------------------------------------------------

 

“Taemin, please don’t be stubborn… You can’t go to the ER. You’ll only disturb Jinki…”

 

“Aniyo... I will only sit at the corner and wait for Hyung to finish up...”

 

“At least let me drive you there…”

 

“Jjong hyung!!! It’s my birthday!!! If he see you there too, he’ll be distracted by you…”

 

“Aigoooo… Arasseo… How about this? I’ll drive you there, but I won’t come with you inside.”

 

“Hmmm…”

 

Taemin scratched his chin and smirked teasingly.

 

“Aw come on… I won’t even leave the car…”

 

“Hahahaa… Okay hyung.. You will get the honour to drive the majesty there.. you should be honoured.”

 

“Aish… This boy.. Yes, Majesty, I shall unfold the red carpet for you…”

 

“Yes, you may, my servant…”

 

They laughed so merrily at their own joke…

 

------------------------------------------------

“Hyung…”

 

“De, Minho-yah… Wae?”

 

Jonghyun held the phone with his shoulder as he tidying up the script of his radio show. It was 2 am and he was dying to hit his bed.

 

“Eodiga?”

 

“I just finished Bluenight. Damn I’m so tired I can’t wait to…”

 

“Has Jinki hyung called you?”

 

Jonghyun’s motion was halted as he heard the name of his boyfriend. Well, ex-boyfriend to be exact, as they just had broken up a week ago.

 

“Ani. Wae?”

 

“Hyung, please talk to him. I think, he really need you tonight.”

 

“I don’t have the privilege, Minho-yah… We broke…”

 

“Hyung… We just had a surgery. The patient was a hit-and-run.”

 

“But It doesn’t have anything to do with m…”

 

“Hyung, the victim was a young boy. Around 17. We couldn’t make it hyung…”

 

Jonghyun gulped hardly. A flash of memory about a smiling Taemin crossed his mind. Taemin, Jinki’s beloved younger brother who he always believed received more of Jinki’s love than him. And also someone who was a victim of hit-and-run at his 17thbirthday.

 

“Hyung, please talk to Jinki hyung… He didn’t answer any of my call…”

 

------------------------------------------------

 

“Hyung!!! Hyung!!! Stop right here!!!”

 

Jonghyun drove his car aside and hit the brake.

 

“What’s wrong Taem?”

 

“You don’t need to drive me till there. I’ll walk from here, hyung.”

 

“Waeeeee??? We are just right across the hospital…”

 

“I don’t trust you, hyung. You’ll end up begging to come with me and see your boyfriend who happen to be my brother.”

 

“Upss.. You got me there… Hehehee..”

 

Taemin just rolled his eyes.

 

“See!!! I’ll come out now hyung… You can go home. And be carefull while driving, okay…”

 

------------------------------------------------

Jonghyun ran like his life depended on it once he parked his card. The path was so similar, he had to try hard to not cry. He needed to be strong. He could see the lamp of Jinki’s house was off, signaling that no one was home. Or maybe Jinki decided to not turn it on? Yet the pile of dead leaves right at the front gate showed that no one had passed them yet. He inhaled long, trying to even his heavy breath. He leaned on the wall just beside the gate, and looked ahead, so he could immediately see when Jinki arrive.

 

And he hated waiting. He felt so anxious and his heartbeat fastened. He decided to take out his note, and tried to jot down some sentences. Some sentences formed a new paragraph. One paragraph formed a new song lyric. He reread it again, and sighed heavily. The lyric was turned into a sad love song, a song about unending waiting, full of anxiety, just a picture of his situation.

 

------------------------------------------------

Jonghyun tried to find his favorite radio channel. He hummed as one of his favorite song was played. He looked at the rear view, assuring himself before driving himself to the line.

 

Cyyiiiiiiiiittttttttttttt…………. BRAKKKKKKKK……

 

Jonghyun’s eyes got wider as he saw Taemin’s body flying after a motorcycle hit him hard. Jonghyun held his breath.

 

Just like a slow motion.

 

“TAEMIN!!!!!!!!”

------------------------------------------------

 

Jonghyun bit his lips. He already tried so many times to call Jinki. But the said man didn’t answer. He walked around slowly, breathed in, breathed out, and trying to calm down his still fastened heartbeat. He sat on a poled bench near Jinki’s house and looked up at the starless sky. The wind blew made Jonghyun shuddered on his spot, bring him to a fact that he had forgot to wear his jacket. He looked at his right, only to catch a sight of a man walking closer with his head down. Jonghyun immediately straightened his posture. Just a second late, the man looked up at a rustled sound.

 

Jinki’s widened eyes showed that he didn’t expect Jonghyun to be there. None of them attempted to make a move for a while. And it was Jinki who made the first move, while Jonghyun was busy taking a site of the man who he hadn’t met in their breaking up time. Jonghyun could see how Jinki had gotten so thin, no more adorable chubby cheeks he loved to pinch, only left hollow stare, sunken cheeks, and unruly hair. Jonghyun couldn’t move, while Jinki took his time to walk closer. One step at a time. So calm.

 

By the time their distance was less than a foot, Jinki immediately leaned his head on Jonghyun’s shoulder. And not a long after that, Jonghyun wrapped his hands around Jinki’s body, as he also felt his shirt dampened. Jonghyun didn’t need to look, but he knew that Jinki was crying. And he tightened his hug, as if trying to shield all the misfortune, all of the nightmare away from Jinki.