Chapter 3

Masque'd Memories

“Kuya, how come you’re here? At bakit ba kasama mo lagi yang tao na yan?”Nina asked Chun Doong. (Kuya, how come you’re here? And why are you always with that guy?) She was referring to Joon.

Chun Doong was laughing so hard that Mir asked him. He told him about it and also laughed. Joon looked at them but didn’t say anything.

“Nina, he has to go with us. We’re a team. Kilala mo ang MBLAQ, right?” Chun Doong told her. (You know about MBLAQ, right?)

Of course! Nina knows about them. She loves MBLAQ! Especially Lee Joon…

That’s when she realized that the people she met yesterday were three members from MBLAQ. That includes Chun Doong-oppa, Chol Yong, and…

“Oh. My. Gosh. No freaking way. No way! Wait, now that I look closely you are definitely them! Does that mean?” she exclaimed. It was a shock to her. She glanced at Joon who was taking a sip from his coffee.

Chol Yong and Chun Doong looked at her every move. Nina slowly took out her phone, looked at her wallpaper, glanced at Joon, then looked again, and glanced at Joon.

This time, Joon noticed. “What?!”

“Aniyo.” Nina quickly hid her phone but Mir grabbed it.

“Let’s see, let’s see… what makes Nina look at her phone…” Mir . Chun Doong kept Nina away from her phone.

Nina’s face was super red now. “Yah! Mir~ Stop that… you can’t just take someone else’s phone without permission.”

Joon, truthfully, was very curious. He also wanted to talk to Nina like that, but it seems that they started off in a wrong situation.

“Ahmmm… What a lovely wallpaper you have.” Mir said and showed it to Chun Doong.

“This is indeed interesting. Hyung, do you want to see it?” he asked, but before Joon could answer, Byung Hee and Seung Ho came.

The scene?

Mir’s and Chun Doong’s arms on Nina’s shoulder. Where Joon watched them from the other side.

Nina was still embarrassed. “Ah! Seung Ho-ssi. Are you really Yang Seung Ho? The leader?” she blurted out.

Seung Ho smiled when he saw Nina. “Oh! It’s you! Sorry, your name is Nina Sui? I learned it from Mr. Shui earlier.”

Nina was excited, but felt dumber as well. How can she not notice them? “Ne! I can’t believe I’m talking to you right now. Sorry about my behavior earlier, I always daze when I play the piano.”

Mir became quite, which was unusual. When Nina, Seung Ho, and Byung Hee were in deep conversation, Chun Doong walked to where Joon sat and tossed him Nina’s cellphone. He actually caught it. Then the two winked at each other and joined the group’s conversation.

Out of the corner of Nina’s eye, she saw Joon looking at her phone. Her heart skipped a bit when she saw Joon’s pursed lips, grinning. She also smiled.

He walked over to where everyone was at.

“Ah! There’s my phone. Thank you.” Nina took her phone from Joon. There was awkwardness, but they both definitely felt happy.

“Nina, are you by any chance attending the party on Saturday?” Byung Hee asked her.

She nodded. “Well, I’m serving there as a caterer. I have to help them design and prepare things.”

“That’s pretty tough.” Seung Ho added.

“Ne. But it is actually my type of job. I catered once when I was still in the US, my mom asked for my help, and I guess I did pretty well.” Nina replied.

“That’s pretty awesome.” Mir said.

“How long have you been in the US?” Joon asked, trying to have a conversation with her.

“Oh… I was born in the States. This isn’t my first time visiting Korea. I think I visited here 10 years ago, but I don’t really remember anything about what happened back then.”

“Oh my, I feel so embarrassed talking about myself. Why don’t you guys talk about what’s happening?”

“We came from the dance studio. We had to practice for our performance on Saturday. Jihoon hyung said we should have rehearsals. We’ve been dancing and singing since this morning.”

“Really? That must be so tough. And you’re gonna do that until Saturday?” she asked.

Chun Doong was the one who answered. “Quite. But we’re only doing it until Friday. So for now, we’re still rehearsing at the studio.”

“That’s awesome. I’ve always wanted to see idols dancing in their studio. I can’t even believe that I’m talking to the ‘MBLAQ’ right now. If fans saw us right now, I’m dead.” Nina said, laughing.

“Ha-ha. You will definitely be killed.” Mir joked.

“They really tend to get crazy at times. But we still love them.” Byung Hee added.

Nina smiled. “You’re really a softie, Byung Hee-oppa.” She teased.

Byung Hee blushed and said, “I like you, Nina. You should be my little sister! From now on, Nina is my little sister.”

They all laughed. Their conversation continued. Their topic went to foods to people, from music to performances. Pretty much random things. They were having so much fun.

“Nina, how did you know Sang Hyun?” Seung Ho asked.

This reminded Nina of what happened yesterday. She had forgotten that she was angry at Joon.

Mir started giggling. “Actually, it was Chun Doong who found her.”

“What do you mean?” Byung Hee asked.

Chun Doong added. “After getting out of Incheon Airport, she took a taxi and she was dropped off in the middle of Seoul. I found her crying just at the corner of a street from our dorm. I thought she was a lunatic at that time.”

“I guess Sang Hyun-oppa heard me mumbling in Tagalog. So, he asked me if I was lost. And there, that’s the story.” Nina continued.

“There’s actually more to the story.” Mir added. And he then told them the rest of the story.

They started blaming and teasing Joon. Joon gave in to the pressure. “Sorry, okay! I thought she was some crazy fan who humiliates me! I still haven’t recovered from the fact that fans did something embarrassing to me! I’m sorry, Nina.”

She smiled sweetly and thought of a very good revenge. She stood up and started walking to him. “Aww… Joon-oppa is sorry, that’s so cute of him.”

This was her plan: go to him, and sarcastically say something, and sarcastically pinch both his cheek. What went wrong was that the minute she stood up, Mir planned something. Him, being the nearest to Joon, tackled Nina.

The result: TOTAL awkwardness. Joon and Nina ended up hugging each other, awkwardly. She fell on top of him. She felt his abs.

Oh. My. Goodness!!!

When she looked up, she saw Joon’s surprised face but smirking! “Yah! Why are smirking like that?” she blurted out.

She was now blushing that made it worse because the two culprit, Mir and Chun Doon, were giggling.

“Aish! G.O oppa, help me…” she begged, but it was Seung Ho who stood and reached for Nina’s hand.

Nina tried reaching his hand but Joon wouldn’t let her. Why would she even reach for another guy’s hand when she has Joon all over her? Isn’t she lucky enough to get this close to the person from her phone wallpaper?

“No, I got it.” Joon said. He settled himself and stood up, still holding her. “Here.”

“What are you staring at? You like me that much?” he continued.

This made Nina come back to reality. She was indeed looking at Joon. “Hu-h? You are so crazy!”

“Ninaaaa!” Eunah-ahjumma called her form the bar. “We’re leaving now.”

“Okay, auntie. I’ll be there in a sec.” she replied.

“Well, I guess you heard her, right? So, I’m taking my leave first. Oh, and thank you for everything.”

Byung Hee hugged her, Seung Ho shook hands with her. Joon and the other two said their thanks and bye’s, while giggling. Yes, Joon was smiling and giggling. He finally was able to tease Nina and it was a success.

“Nina, why don’t you come and hangout at our studio tomorrow?” Seung Ho asked.

Nina thought about this. “Uhm… how about on Friday? I really can’t go tomorrow. I’m still having problems adjusting to the time here, and I don’t know when I pass out or even wake up.”

“Alright. We’ll wait for you then.” He replied.

She left with her aunt.

The boys stayed for a while for dinner.

“I like her.” The leader blurted out. Joon stared at him. That was a shock.

Byung Hee laughed, and Mir and Chun Doong while giving glances to Joon.

“It was quite obvious, hyung.” Mir added.

“Don’t you dare touch my sister, Seung Ho.” Byung Hee told him as a joke. “You’re too old for her.”

They laughed. Seung Ho realized that what he had said meant different from the others. But they don’t know that. Joon doesn’t know that. The usual noisy and talkative Joon was quiet for the first time.