Chapter 1

Masque'd Memories

 

The singing, dancing were all good. Everything was perfect. But they don't matter. You lacked something in that performance. Figure what it was and learn something from it.


Seung Ho was remembering at what their Hyung had said, after their debut performance a few months earlier. Yes, it was their first time and it was there where everyone else would know them. Still, they had gratefully accepted Jihoon-hyung's scolding. What they had to do was be better and learn from their mistakes. Seung Ho remembered how Joon cried that night. It was still a night to remember and to commemorate their success plus Hyung's scolding, everything was alright.

"Yah! Seung Ho!" Seung Ho came back to reality as soon as Chol Yong called to him, impolitely.

As the leader, he doesn't tolerate such attitude especially if it was the maknae who did it. He knows that Mir jokes around. He turned to him and said, "Mwo-yo? What?" with an annoyed accent.

"It's nothing, hyung. Sorry about that. Are you alright? You don't look so good. Is it because of what happened yesterday?" Mir sat across where Seung Ho was sitting.

All he did was laugh. "Mir, what the heck are you talking about?"

Thunder came over, "You know, the thing yesterday is not easy to forget. For sure, it'll be the headlines for days."

"Oh. You were talking about that. Well, it was quite humiliating and disturbing. I can't believe our fans." The leader slumped in his chair.

Byung Hee came and went to the fridge to get water. After a sip, he said, "Aniyo. Joon is probably the most affected from yesterday. It was mainly him."

"Where is he anyway?" Thunder asked.

"He said he has something to do. He's been away for quite a while now." Mir replied.

"Don't worry. He's probably sulking around." Byung Hee interrupted. Seung Ho shot him a look. Then Byung Hee mouthed "mian" to him. "Why don't you call him, Mir. Ask him how long he's gonna be out. We have to meet Jihoon-hyung early tomorrow." The leader asked Mir and he nodded.

They went to their own business. G.O looking at the mirror for the nth time. Seung Ho watching a video, eating banana, and Doong Doong texting his noona. Yes, Thunder's noona is Dara from 2NE1. She's in the Philippines right now. YG probably gave them a week vacation before their comeback. Mir is sending a message to Joon.

-text-
TO: Lee Joon-hyung
FROM: Mir
SUBJECT: Where are you?
MSG: Yah! LeadHo is looking for you.

-sent-

After a while, Mir's phone vibrated. Joon finally replied.

JOON: Somewhere. Let me be alone for a while.
MIR: Fans will definitely mob you if I post on the internet where you are right now.
JOON: ...
MIR: Are you nearby? Seung Ho-hyung wants to know where you are.
JOON: Ne! Guess where I am. I see good stuff around here.
MIR: Aniyo... Don't fool me. I know where you are. Stay there and don't move.

Mir rushed through his things on his drawer. He didn't forget his sweater and hat. Chun Doong saw him and asked him where he's going.

"Picking up Joon. He's out eating samgyeopsal at ahjussi's place. You should come too!" Mir burst out through the back door.

Chun Doon told Byung Hee and Seung Ho where Joon and Mir went. He also told him that he's gonna follow them. As he went out, he grabbed his favorite hat and his fake nerdy glasses. That way, people will think that he is just another nerd passing by, with a weird looking hat. Well, it actually works.

-----



On the other hand, there is one guy who kept eating and feels like everything revolves around him. Joon didn’t care about people around him, as long as he is doing something important to him.

The smell of grilled meat made Joon hungry for more. “Joon, do you want another serving?” The cook asked him.

“Ne! Is it okay if you add a little bit of spice?” he asked, and the cook agreed to him.

There aren’t that many young people who visit this place. Joon found out about this small restaurant while on his daily walk, at night. Once he tasted the food, he declared it to be his favorite. Another thing, no fans are screaming so it was quite a quiet place. But not so when the old men gets drunk.

“Ahjussi! Is Lee Joon here?” Mir burst in the restaurant. People never really minded. It was a usual scene for them. The cook waved his hand and pointed to where Joon sat. He walked over and sat beside Joon.

“Joonie… why did you leave me again?” Mir flirted. It was only a play. The elderly always loved that, for some unknown reason. They whistled and shouted. Mir and Joon ended up playing along with it.

“Auntie, may I please have a glass of water? And Uncle, I want the usual, with extra vegetables. Thank Kamsahamnida!” Mir ordered.

Auntie gave Mir the glass of water and when he thanked her, Auntie’s face looked worried. So he didn’t hesitate to ask.

“Ahjumma, is there something wrong? Why you look so worried?” Mir asked.

Uncle but in. “Don’t worry dear. I’m sure Nina is fine. And her flight is arriving tomorrow. Of course she can’t use her phone to call us. We have time.”

Joon, in his own little world heard this, and asked, “Who is Nina?” That name sure sounded familiar.

“Nina lives in America. I am very good friends with her mom. It was her parents who helped me settle my life when I was in America several years ago. Her dad is a well-known person and my husband knows him as well.” She cleaned the table and sat there, looking at Mir and Joon. She continued, “And so, when I told Nina about my husband’s restaurant here, she wanted to come. She loves Korean foods, especially Kimchi and samgyeopsal. And I think she’s into the Korea boy groups as well.

Mir seemed really interested. “Jjang! She has the same favorite food as Joonie…”

Uncle handed Mir his own food. Joon just finished his second serving. Just then, Chun Doong opened the door but he just stood there.

“Ahjumma, do you know someone called… Nina… uhh, Nina Sui?” Chun Doong asked.

This made both Auntie and Uncle, look at him in confusion. Right then and there, Nina Sui stood beside Chun Doong.

“Nina! What? How come you’re here? What happened? Are you alright?” Auntie exclaimed.

Nina is a pretty girl, but short for her age. Her black wavy hair dangling on her shoulders. She wore a beret and glasses. On her right hand was her luggage, and on the other, was her Juicy Couture handbag.

She smiled, and it was lovely. “Don’t worry, Auntie. Everything’s fine. My flight was earlier than planned. They messed up my ticket. I didn’t want to bother you in picking me up at the airport. So, I took the taxi. But apparently, the driver dropped me off somewhere.” Auntie helped her, but her luggage was too heavy for her.

“Chol Yong, come help Nina with her luggage.” Auntie called for Mir. He was already running to help Nina. He seemed interested in her.

Nina thought of the name Chol Yong and it sounded very very familiar. “Thank you so much.”

Mir followed Auntie to the second floor where the bedrooms were located. Nina followed them. She looked around. At the corner, she saw guy wearing a grey sweater with a hoodie on. He must have felt Nina’s stare at him, and so he turned around. Their eyes met and time must have stopped between them.
He’s cute. Nina thought. Do I know him?
She’s cute. Joon thought.

But no, it wasn’t the case. Nina had seen him just earlier. And now, her mood stiffened.

“Ah!” She literally screamed and pointed at Joon. At the same time, Joon also said, “Ah…” in a normal, but surprised tone.

Nina gracefully rushed to where Joon sat. “You! What are you doing here? Oh, that’s right you don’t understand English. But still!” she exclaimed.

“Kuya*, ano ginagawa niya ditto? And malas naman oh.” (What is he doing here? So unlucky.) Nina told Chun Doong. Yes, it was Tagalog.

“Nina, what are you talking about? Do you know Lee Joon? Oh, don’t worry, he knows English too well. So be comfortable around him.” Uncle told Nina.

“Uncle Han, so you mean he understood me just now?” she asked and he nodded.

“Ugh!” She exploded. “It was because of this person that I got lost. I accidentally bumped into him this afternoon. I asked for directions. He smiled at me and made a gesture to follow him. I followed him, but after turning to different streets, I lost him. He probably did that on purpose.”

Joon grinned at her. OMO~ that smile was wonderful, Nina thought. “Well, it wasn’t my fault at all. You were the one who followed me.”

“Well how would I know that? You should have said something! You just left me there.” Nina’s voice started changing its tone.

“Well then, if you had not been so stupid in…” He stopped when he saw Nina’s composure. Tears had begun forming in her eyes.

Mir was back and saw what happened to Nina. “Yah! Lee Joon! What did you do to her?”

Nina let out soft sobs. “I was really scared. I was alone for so many hours without contact.”

Joon was shocked. He started panicking. Never in his life had he made a girl cry. “What? I didn’t do anything!”

Auntie smiled. The other elders were laughing. “Aww… Joonie made Nina cry. I think we have a new couple around here.” An old drunk man said.

Nina wiped her tears. “No, it’s alright. I’ve always made fun of. I’m used to it. Auntie, is it okay if I go and freshen up?”

Auntie led her to the stairs. Before, she went up, she bowed and thanked Chun Doong and Mir, and the rest, gave a glance to Joon. His face was priceless. The guilty look on his face was wonderful. She remembered her camera, hurriedly took it and snapped a picture of him, then ran upstairs.

“Yah! Crazy girl! Get back here.” Joon yelled from where he stood. What just happened? Everything was so confusing. Joon can’t stand the girl, but…

“Aigoo~ Joon’s angry. It was your fault.” Chun Doong told him.

“Aish! This . And to think that I thought she was cute!” Joon said it out loud in an angry voice.

He walked out and left Mir and Chun Doong to finish their food. Again, it was Chun Doong who paid. So much for picking Joon here.

It was a 2-floor house. Every move can be heard. And Nina heard everything. She found a mirror in front of her and looked at her image. Both hands pressed on her cheek. She looked at the photo she took of Joon, and then pressed both hands on her cheeks.

“Why is my face red?” She asked herself.


- End of Chapter 1 -