Chapter 11

Masque'd Memories

 

Continuing from the previous chapter. Nina finally met her long-lost twin, Rina. All this time, she was alive. She has lived her life, growing up, in hiding from the people that were after her, after their family. Little by little, the pieces of the memories are coming together. Will there be more misunderstandings or will the truth about everything is about to be revealed?



 

She couldn’t say it to her sister. How could she? With that smiling face of Nina’s.

“Rina, what’s wrong?” Nina asked her and Rina snapped back to reality.

She shook her head, “It’s nothing… you should leave now. I didn’t tell Dongwoon that I’m gonna see you today.”

Rina’s instructions were not hard to understand. Nina just had to keep quiet about her twin sister. Not even telling their mother about it.

“So, are you going to be fine? Are you sure you don’t want to live with me for now?” Nina wanted to stay together with her sister, but she knew what Rina’s answer will be.

“I would love to, but you know I can’t. Don’t worry, I’ll keep in touch.” She asserted her sister. “You have to remember that you can’t be alone.”

Nina smiled and promised her.

“Be careful.”

“You too.”


 

Nina found out that she was in Cube Entertainment building. Her sister was staying there, for some complicated reasons. Little did she know that it was where Dongwoon found Rina.

“Why?” The first word Nina asked Dongwoon when they met.

But Dongwoon didn’t respond to her question.

“Answer me!” Nina demanded, but Donwoon glared at her.

“I’m sorry. I promised her but…”

She started crying again. “Nina, I’m really sorry. She begged me not to tell you anything until you meet her. It was very complicated back then. We had to make sure no information gets leaked out.”

“So… should I be worried or not? It seems that this conversation is going somewhere I don’t know.” Her voice trailing off.

“Rina came to me, asking for help. It was when BEAST was about to debut. The guys know her, but she didn’t mingle with them. Also, the company has been helping keep quiet about her. It’s to protect her. I think other entertainment companies that have been loyal and true to your dad know about this. But they swore not to tell a single word about Rina Sui.”

Nina wasn’t catching on, and Dongwoon had no choice but to tell her everything. He drove off to Nina’s hotel and went into the VIP lounge of the hotel’s restaurant.

“Okay, do you remember the time when you had to go here, in Seoul, because your parents had to attend a Gala? You know, with all the rich people and businessmen?”

She didn’t say anything but her facial expression started to change, remembering the details of that night. Dongwoon, just by looking at her, continued.

“Well, it turned out it wasn’t just an elegant party, and it was just a mask to cover up an underground black market.”

This time, Nina’s eyes grew bigger in surprise.

“But what about my parents? Are they like… like criminals, or something?”

The two of them stared, but Dongwoon knows better. “I don’t think I’m the one who you should talk to about your parents. It’s family matter, is it not? But, if you ask me, I don’t think they were in the bad side. Uhm, you really should just talk to Rina about this.”

And he gave her an unconvincing smile.

“Anyway, there was this underground group that was after your parents. And the most low life thing that they ever thought of doing was to kidnap the daughters of one of the most powerful people on earth. So, they successfully kidnapped the two kids in their most vulnerable time. Those two kids were”

“Rina Sui, and Nina Sui.” Nina finished for Dongwoon.

Nina started pacing around the table. Her fingers twirling locks of her hair.

“Yes, and they succeeded. Rina didn’t really explain how you got out, and she only said that you cannot trust people around you, unless you’ve known them your whole life.”

Nina tried to swallow everything in her mind. It is true that they are beyond wealthy. Her parents held the power, but only a few handfuls of people know about it. She knows about how crazy it is in the entertainment world, but never really thought about the underground.

Her head snapped up. “Ah! I remember now. Remember last year? The fashion show? Spring/summer collection by Ms. D? The reception? I saw my father talking to this person. And I think the fashion show was just a mask, and the black market was open that night. The show was too perfect…”

But Nina was interrupted by a knock on the door. Dongwoon stopped her when she was about to reach for the door, and instead told her to wait.

“I’ll get it.”

She ended up sitting on a high chair near the window curtain which gave her enough space to overlook what was going on at the door. Dongwoon approached the door and opened it. It was the guy from the hotel lobby.

“I’m sorry to disturb you, Sir, but may I have a moment with Ms. Sui?” he politely asked.

“You can just say it to me, and I’ll pass it to her.”

The young man hesitated at first, but ended up telling him. “A note was given to me by a… by someone, and told me to give it to Nina sui as soon as possible.”

He handed Dongwoon a piece of blue paper, and he left. Nina was just sitting there waiting, and was sipping on a martini.

“Are you supposed to drink that kind of drink?” Dongwoon gave him a glare.

Nina her lips and cleared . “I don’t know, and I suppose you’re not allowed to drink this either, then why order it then?”

His face hardened in realization. “Nina, I didn’t order anything. We just got here, remember?”

Nina dropped the glass abruptly. Thousands of tiny glass pieces splattered around the floor. She started to panic, and right then, dizziness overtook her senses and lost balance. Nina fell hard on the floor.

“Nina! Oh shoot…” Dongwoon ran out and called for help, and asked anyone to call for an ambulance. “What the heck did they do to you?” Dongwoon then hurriedly read the note.

Please be careful with what you eat

And drink from the hotel or any place where they know you.

I’ll keep in touch. Call if something happens~

R.

It was Rina. He knows her handwriting anywhere. He didn’t hesitate to crush the note in his hand. He carried her outside as he was also helped by the ambulance nurses. The siren of the ambulance blared throughout the whole place, alarming several bystanders. Dongwoon knows that Nina wouldn’t just collapse from drinking a martini. Something had to be in the drink to make her lose consciousness.



 

Hospitals have always been dull and smells with ill people and medicine. But this time, Nina was one of those patients. She lay on the hospital bed after staying in the emergency and operating room for 5 hours. The glass that pricked her arms and body were already taken out. She still looked beautiful, despite the stitches on her collarbone and arm.

Nina woke up to her phone ringing on the bedside table. She slowly reached for it, and answered the call.

“H-hello?” she greeted with a groggy voice.

“Nina! I’ve been calling you for hours! Where were you?”

Nina tried to sit up slowly. “Oh… Joonie?” Nina breathed in and out before she continued. “Mianheyo~ I was asleep… taking a rest actually.

Joon realized her mellow voice and realized something must have happened. “Where are you?”

“I’m at…” Nina looked around. It took her a while to remember what had happened earlier. “the hospital?”

“Hospital? Wait, are you sure you’re in the hospital? Which hospital?”

“Uhh… I don’t know.” She replied.

The door opened and Rina walked in, followed by Dongwoon. Rina saw Nina on the phone and hurriedly walked over to her.

“Who are you talking to?” she asked. “They could have tracked your location!”

Nina signaled her to wait, but Rina demanded. “Hold on.”

“What? I’m talking to Changsun!” Nina told her sister.

Without hesitation, Rina grabbed the phone and turned it off. “You can’t talk to him.”

“Why? He’s my… he’s our friend.”

Rina pressed her lips together until she opened them again. “He was my friend, Nina. You cannot trust him anymore. You don’t know him that much. You don’t know him at all.”

“What are you saying?”

“I’m saying that…” but Rina was cut off by Dongwoon.

“She’s saying that Lee Joon is the bad guy.”

Rina shot him a glare and Nina’s mouth fell open in confusion.

“What?!? How is this even possible?”

Rina paused for a second before answering her sister’s question.

“We examined the martini that was in the scene, and there was a drug mixed in the drink, and Lee Joon was the one who put the drug in the drink. We have evidences.”



 

An update, finally :) I hope I still have readers. This may get confusing, but I'll try my best to make up for the certain scenes that were left off...

Thank you to everyone :)