Chapter 2

Masque'd Memories

 

“How is your throat?” Jihoon-hyung asked Byung Hee.

“It’s almost healed. If I have a day or two to rest, it’ll be gone in no time.” Byung Hee replied.

Jihoon nodded. “Just make sure you are in perfect health on Saturday."

The boys gave a confused look, but Jihoon smirked. They knew then that something was up.

“Rain was invited to Mr. Shui’s Annual Masquerade Ball, in celebration for his 50th birthday. Since the success of my movie, I’ve been helping him with different projects. And on Saturday, he wants us to be there. Join the party, have fun, and dance. MBLAQ is one of the performing guest. Well, there are other group that’ll be there. What do you think?” Jihoon-hyung explained everything.

The boys were excited. It’s gonna be a masquerade ball. Tons of food, people, and dancing. They started talking about what they’ll be wearing.

“Hyung, what time on Saturday?” Mir asked.

“I won’t tell you. But you have to be free. Don’t practice on that day. At this time, you should be practicing until Friday only, then that’s it. I’ll call Seung Ho about the time on Saturday.”

Jihoon-hyung then left. The boys scrambled and took shower. They wore baggy pants and the fitting sleeveless shirts. Their manager called and said he’s already waiting outside. They got in the car and were on their way to the dance studio. Fangirls surrounded them. When their car turned to a familiar street, Joon saw Nina.

“Aish~ I thought it’s gonna be a good day.” He mumbled.

Nina stopped walking. She picked up her phone. Joon noticed that she was looking sad when she talked. He wanted to say hi, but never did.

“Did you say something, Joon?” Byung Hee asked.

“No. It’s nothing…” he replied.

~oooooo~

-over the phone-
Nina: No. Never…
I don’t want to see you again…
I won’t come back.
That’s what I came here for…
No… I want my memories back…
I… I don’t love you.
-hangs up-

~oooooo~



Phone rings. Nina picked it up.

“Annyeonghaseyo! This is the SHU-IN Bistro’s 2nd Branch. This is Nina. How may I help you?” Nina greeted the caller.

“ Hello Nina. My name’s Michelle and I’m the manager of SHU-IN Bistro. May I please speak with the owner, Mr. Han?

“Yes, yes. Most certainly. Please hold on, and I’ll call him.” Nina pressed hold and put back the phone.

“Ahjussi! There’s a phone call for you. It’s the manager. Nina told him. He said thanks and left to take the call.

Nina decided to help out the couple. Although she was tired, she couldn’t sleep at all. She’s having a jet lag. She woke up at 3am this morning and had been awake since then. She decided to go down and find something to eat, instead she found her aunt. While talking to her, Aunt Eunah mentioned about how their restaurant came to be.

She came back to her senses when she heard Uncle Han calling her. He was still on the phone when she got there.

“I see. Well then, I’ll talk to my wife about it. Yes, and make sure the cooks and chef are preparing for this. Alright then.” He put back the phone and smiled at Nina.

She looked confused. “Is there something wrong, Uncle?”

“No, dear. It’s just that my restaurant will be quite busy starting today. SHU-IN caterers were invited and hired for an event this weekend. And it’s not a normal event. Shui Han is celebrating his birthday, and when it comes to that man, everything must be extravagant and flawless.” Uncle revealed.

The name sounded familiar to Nina. “Oh my God! Mr. Shui? Isn’t he the most known person in the Asian entertainment industry?”

He nodded. Nina hasn’t really seen the man, but she’s heard about it from her dad.

“And so, why did the manager call?” she asked.

He sighed. “Well, apparently few of the caterers took a vacation and won’t be back until the end of the month. He should have told his representatives before that he wants to have a party. Now, we need more people to help out. I guess we have to close the store for a few days and manage everything at the main restaurant.”

I really wonder why Uncle and Auntie preferred staying here in the small store rather than the other one. Nina thought.

“Since you need more people, why don’t you hire me for this event, for the weekend? I promise you Uncle, I’ll do my best.” She proposed.

“But don’t you want to go out and visit places here in Seoul?” he asked.

“Nah. I have time.” She lied.

“Well then, we should start closing up and get ready.” Uncle said in reply.

They told Aunt Eunah about it. She grunted about it but then surrendered to the fact that they don’t have choice. Nina wondered how they are gonna get to the place. Then she found out something she never knew.

“Honey, look at Nina’s face. That’s the best surprised look I’ve ever seen, so far.” Uncle Han told his wife. “Nina, you’ve been here for less than a day, there are still many things that’ll surprise you. Believe me.”

Right in front of Nina was the 2010 Audi S6 and right next to it was a shiny red 911 Turbo Cabriolet. It was her favorite car.

“Hmmm… Aigoo~ It’s Porsche. Nice!” she exclaimed.

On their way to the resto, Nina still had the thought so she didn’t hesitate asking.

“Uncle Han, why do you have mini stores?”

“You’ll see.” He said in reply.

After half an hour drive around Seoul, they stopped in front of a 3-story building which the architecture was amazing.

SHU-IN Bistro.

They went inside. It was huge! Even this early in the morning, it’s already full of people. Yes, indeed the bistro is full, but Nina can’t deny the delicious aroma of the sweets and of course, the smell of the coffee. The place is very comfortable. It was as if designed to be a home.

The manager came and met them. Introductions were made. “Annyeonghaseyo. Chonun Nina-imnida.”

“Yes, I believe it was you who I’ve spoken to earlier, ne?” Michelle greeted. Nina nodded and smiled. She had a business look on her face, and so Nina let her proceed.

Michelle opened her planner and searched for something. “Mr. Shui, your father wants everything to be set up on the day of the party so that everything will look fresh. The design of the structure is being finalized, and I’m letting them do what they want. The menu is being put together and we need you to finalize it. I guess that’s pretty much it, for now.”

Uncle Han nodded. Trying to assess everything. “Alright, I better get going to my kitchen now. Dear, come with me. Nina, just do what you want to do. I guess we’ll need you on Saturday.”

“No, it’s okay. I’ll rest here for now. I’m pretty tired. And this is probably because of jetlag. Just do your thing and as you’ve said, I’ll do my thing. This is a very pretty place anyway. I’ll roam around.”

“Okay. So, if you get hungry, you can just call for a host and tell him what you want. And since you are our guest, you don’t have to pay for anything.” He continued.

They left as soon as possible. This party must be really important. Nina can’t remember when the last time she had been invited to an extravagant party. Most of the parties she had been to were pretty much the typical wild American teenage parties.

Nina walked around. This place is so welcoming, she thought. It was so much like a typical house. The difference is that this is a restaurant. She was feeling tired and looked for a nice couch for her to sit. The third floor consisted of mostly long couches and a big veranda and the place was in a circular design. A white grand piano was in the middle of everything, but it was separate from the room. You have to go through a sliding door to get to where the piano is, which overlooks the whole restaurant. The glass wall around the piano was full of abstract art, that actually went with the piano’s color.

It was magnificent. Nina would have to credit the designer and architect. Her fascination made her jetlag kick in. she felt really sleepy and did not hesitate to lay down one on of the sofas.

~oooooo~
Do you want to get the same ring?
Ne! I want the one with the musical note.
Right! It’s because we love music.
Ne!
Don’t lost it, okay?
Of course I won’t. I’ll treasure it forever.
Promise me, Nina.

~oooooo~



From a distance, she heard a beautiful music. The kind where it comforts people’s feelings. Nina slowly got up.

Yawn. “The music sounds familiar.” Yawn again.

She sat on the sofa, and found a cup of coffee on the table. Is this for me? Whoever you are, thanks.

“What time is it now?” she asked herself.

“It is already 9:30pm, Miss Nina.” The waiter popped out from the door and said in reply.

She almost spit out the coffee. “What? That late already? Do you know where Eunah-ahjumma is?” she started panicking.

The waiter handed her a napkin and took her cup. “Yes, miss. The owners are still preparing the food and planning. They didn’t want to wake you up because they said you need rest from yesterday.”

She nodded and he continued. “Mr. Shui also asked for you to play the piano. It is to entertain the people downstairs. He said, you can play anything you want.”

Hmm… she thought. Should I play? “Alright.” Then she decided.

She walked to where the piano was at and was careful. “Hmmm… what piece should I play?” Nina was thinking, it always make her mad when she can’t think of a piece to play.

But she started with Fantasia Impromptu by Chopin. Her favorite. Followed by a coupled of Etudes. Her passion for playing the piano never faded. It was still in her. The magic to make the piano alive and sing together the marvelous music being played.

Nina ended it softly. People were clapping to her performance. She never really noticed them until she saw her aunt from the kitchen window on the second floor, giving her two thumbs up. She then glanced around her. She awkwardly smiled and waved at them. Totally awkward.

She thought of another song to play. A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton. She started playing, and this time, she sang along.

Making my way downtown, walking fast, faces pass and I’m homebound. Staring blankly ahead, making my way, making my way through the crowd.

I need you, and I miss you, and now I… wonder, if I could fall into the sky, do you think time, would pass me by. ‘Cause you know I walked a thousand miles if I could just see you---- tonight.

It’s always times like these when I think of you, and wonder if you ever think of me. ‘Cause everything’s so wrong and I don’t belong, living in your precious memory. ‘cause I need you, and I miss you, and I wonder…


She continued to chorus and finished the whole song. Once again, Nina received praises. She was about to start another song when…

Knock. Knock.

Nina turned around to see a guy standing at the open door. He was smiling that she thought she had seen sparkles around him. She blinked again. Must be her imagination.

“Yes? How may I help you?” she asked. I’m sure I’ve seen him somewhere on TV.

“Aniyo… It’s just that you did amazing. Your voice is really pretty and your piano skills are incredible.” The guy said.

Nina’s voice is indeed beautiful. She smiled, “Ha-ha… uhh… Thank you. May I know your name?”

“That’s right. Mianhe for barging in. I’m Seung Ho.” He said. His phone vibrated. “Oh… I have to go now. You know, it would be nice if I see you again…” he probably realized what he said and added, “I mean, it would be nice if we play duet on the piano sometime. Bye.”

Seung Ho-ssi is a nice guy and he’s quite handsome as well.

“O-kay…” Nina said. That was random. She sighed and looked around. It was because she had the feeling of being watched, intently. Sixth sense?

Lee Joon stared at her. They locked gaze for a very long time. Nina forgot that she was angry at him. He smiled. She didn’t say anything and broke the gaze between them.

Joon was confused. He doesn’t know what to do. His heart was drumming so hard. He actually blushed when Nina looked at him from about.

Joon started remembering snippets of memories from when he was little, and in that memory, there was a lively and happy little girl twirling so gracefully in the middle of the street, and talked to him about how she wanted those rings.

That little girl reminded Joon of the girl that was singing so beautifully.


A/N: Hopefully I can put up the chapters I have on my flash drive before the weekend is over. But... I'm sick! really... Thank goodness it's just a normal flu. Oh, that's right. The italicized sentences or words are kinda like a flashback, or when the characters are talking to another person not included in that part. What did you think of this chapter?