1

Innocence

Hana’s baby face doesn’t aid her in anything. She’s twenty two but people always think she’s seventeen. Even in clubs, all her friends waltz in because they look their age, but she’s often stopped because the bouncers think she’s a minor. The cashiers at supermarket even doubt the little plastic card that proves her age.

She’s refrained from going to clubs, just because of that now. She resorts to more menial pass times: like going to the library.

None of the library attendants look at her like she’s not supposed to be in their premises. She feels at ease. The library even have these big bean bags where it’s a more casual and people just go there to read, and the rest of the library is more formal with its wooden chairs, oak tables, and towering book shelves.

It was a 5 minute train ride from her dorms to the library that was really conveniently near the campus, rather than in the middle of the city.

Hana hopped onto the carriage, and sat down on the seat. She looked up, looking at the different adverts pasted up. There was a small advert for a BB cream, and another for Starbucks. She paid attention to all of them and read all of them. 

There was always this awkward atmosphere when travelling on trains.  Hana didn't know where to look, she didn't want to stare at anyone on the train and she was pretty sure no one wanted to stare back. So she always had to look up at the adverts. At the train stops and count the amount of stops she had.

She had her earphones plugged in by the end of the train ride. Her stop came and she stepped of into the early evening. She approached the library and stepped on the grass, crossing over to the intricate wooden doors of the old building. The night was nearly here, it was about six in the evening. The clouds were peppered in the sky, the luminous orange brightening up the edge of the horizon before the deep ultramarine seeped over.

She made her way to the bean bags, but they’re occupied. A group of boys have sat themselves down on them, some of them sitting on each other. They’re all surrounding one guy who’s sitting on the woolly rug beneath them.

Hana slowed down her pace, and makes a sharp turn to the right; presenting herself before the rigid wooden chairs.

It wasn’t supposed to be like this. She was meant to have that whole area to herself; no one from her university came to the library to read for pleasure, no one. Everyone was out; they all went to clubs, on dates, to restaurants, or stay in the dorms.

“They probably just came to do a group project and wanted to get comfortable” she told herself; but it felt so foreign sitting on these chairs. She missed the comfort the bean bags brought to her.

Three hours passed and they were still there, still in that circle of bean bags. Some had half fallen asleep on each other, they were all in pairs, a notepad on their lap or a tablet and they were scribbling and tapping away.

Hana had managed to only get through a chapter of her novel. One chapter! She normally read at least ten chapters before she felt tired and left.

Getting up and stuffing her book into her battered messenger bag, she got up and made her way back to the station. She sat on the bench of the platform, looking around at something that could be of interest to her, nothing. There was always some sort of distraction for her.

She frowned. Not a lot was going great for her today; she got her favourite spot in the library raided, she hadn't managed to read a self-satisfying amount of her book, and the train station thought it'd be a great day to replace all its adverts.  

The tannoy overhead blared out the stations the train stopped at, before cutting off. The train slowly approached the platform, and Hana stepped on. It was empty, there being more people further down the brightly lit carriage, sitting in the middle of the seats.

She heard faint laughter through the music that was playing; she ignored it, her attention focusing on the book in front of her. She was hoping the least to get through another two chapters in the five minute train ride. But there were other plans set in stone for her.

There were two boys sitting in front of here. One was devilishly handsome, with plump lips, gorgeous lightly tanned skin, soft shiny black locks haphazardly pushed back. The other was slightly shorter, with shaved sides, and spiky hair, his face was childish.

Naturally the other boy would have been anyone’s first choice. But the shorter boy was much more interesting.

His eyes were wide, extremely wide, as he looked at an advert. With those intense eyes (Hana was pretty sure that had the paper been a person they’d feel quite uncomfortable). Yet it made Hana smile.

He looked so innocent.

 

A/N: Tadah! I actually finished writing something lol. So this story is going to have approximately six chapters I think (3 each character). I should update sometime within the week, because I am free. I've got summer holidays so it's all fun fun fun and one week of art summer school. 

(If there are any typos it should be corrected sometime. I'm lazy it's half 11 and I'm tired from just sitting on the laptop a whole day and waiting from beast to finally come back)