Welcome

Between Life and Death

 

*What’s going on here?* You asked yourself as Jr set you on the warm ground. JB came over and smiled down at you. He pulled out a bottle from his pocket and popped a pill into your mouth.
 
You felt the warmth return to your body. Your conscious mind returned to your lifeless form and you started to feel everything around you. You could feel the grass underneath you, and the breeze flowing around you. You started opening your eyes. Everything was blurry at first but you could make out two heads in front of you. As you regained you sight you saw a blonde headed boy and a brown haired one. *That’s not their hair… is it?* You asked yourself as you tried to get up. As you tried to sit JB held your shoulder down. “Not yet Yun Su, not yet.” You didn’t have the strength to go against him so you laid there. You finally regained full consciousness and opened your mouth to speak. You mouth felt dry as the savannah, at first your voiced didn’t come out but you croaked out a whisper. 
“Water…” 
“Oh ! I forgot.” JB jumped back and grabbed his water bottle. He lifted your head a bit and poured a generous amount in your mouth. *Much better* you sighed in relief. 
“What’s going on?” You asked with your voice still groggy. You looked at the two boys looking down at you, “Are you guys really here, or is this some sort of post-mortem illusion?” you asked still not believing your eyes.
“It’s not an illusion.” Jr assured you as he helped you sit up. You could feel his arms underneath your heavy body. They were warm, and real. JB handed you his water bottle.
“Drink a lot, your going to need to replenish your body’s water” 
You took another long drink. You could feel the cool liquid make it’s way down your dry throat. Once you finished drinking you let out a big satisfied lip smack. “AHH!” You breathed in heavily and darted your head back and forth between JB and Jr who were sitting on both sides of you.
They did not say anything, instead they just smiled happily at you. For a moment you forgot that you were just brought back to life from being dead.
“What happened to your hair guys!” You questioned as both of them dyed their hair from their natural dark brown to blonde and light brown. Yet they did not respond again. Instead they reached into you and hugged you as they did before the last time you saw them. The three of you enjoyed this little happy reunion for a while until your realized. *Wait a moment, aren’t I supposed to be dead?* you asked your self and pushed the two boys away.
“What’s going on?” You asked them.
JB and Jr looked at one another trying to decide who would tell you.
“Guys?” You called.
JB and Jr stared at you for a brief moment and turned back to face one another. “Okay who ever loses has to tell her.” JB declared as he brought his fist up.
“Deal.” Jr agreed
“Rock. Paper! SCISSORS!” They yelled out. Jr send out scissors and JB sent out a rock. Jr grabbed his head in misery as he lost.
“ARGGHH!!” Jr Let out.
“GUY! STOP PLAYING AROUND AND TELL WHAT’S GOING ON!” You asked growing annoyed.
“Well, you see…” Jr started out. 
“JUST SAY IT!” You snapped at him annoyed.
“Okay, okay. Well, your dead.” Jr confessed.
At his declaration you felt empty inside for some reason *So I really am dead*
“Your dead but…” Jr continued on with his explanation. “You weren’t supposed to die.”
“What?” You asked
“The day that you died, there was only supposed to be two results.” 
“And those results were?”
“Well they both involved you not dying.”
“What do mean?” you asked as confused as ever.
“You weren’t supposed to die, your mother and that child was.”
“What are you talking about Jr?” 
“On Monday you and your mother were supposed to go out for dinner and get into a major car crash. A total of 6 people were supposed to die. You and you mother crashed into another car with 5 people in it. Everyone but you were supposed to die…”
“What do you mean Jr?” you interrupted him.
“Just let me finish, and then you can ask questions.” He told you. You calmed down and decided to listen to the rest of his explanation. Jr continued.
“There was also another result where your mother went to buy groceries and died while crossing the crosswalk. But, you went instead of her.”
“But why did I die?” you asked.
“You see that boy that you saved, he was also supposed to die that day but…” Jr grew quiet. 
“But what?” You asked.
“You stopped him from getting killed.” JB interrupted. “We don’t understand why you died either but all we know is that your weren’t supposed to die, at least not anytime soon.” JB confessed.
“H-how do you guys know all this?” You asked 
“Because we were supposed to collect those souls.” Jr admitted sheepishly.
“W-What?” You asked even more confused than before.
“Hmmm, how do I put this lightly?” JB asked himself. “Ah! I guess we’re what you call Grim Reapers.”
You studied JB’s serious face for a while. You suddenly burst into laughter “HAHAHAHA, Grim Reapers! Good one guys!” Your laugh subsided when you noticed JB and Jr looking at you as if you were insane. “Wait… your not joking?” you asked them.
“Nope.” Jr replied as he shook his head.
“But grim reapers wear dark cloaks and are made of bone. They carry a scythe with them.” You said very quickly panicked.
“Calm down Yun Su.” Jr said as he patted your back and met eyes with you.
“But, this can’t be grim reapers don’t exist, and you guys look nothing like them.” JB sighed and pulled something out of his pocket. He pulled out his keys and took the key charm off it. He held it out in front of you in his palm. It was a small replica of a scythe. You were about to protest but you noticed the key charm growing. In a second the once small key charm turned into a gigantic scythe about double your height. You gulped at the sharpness of the blade which looked like it cut through air. 
“Now do you believe us?” JB asked as he retracted the scythe back to it’s key charm size.
You were speechless. You sat staring back and forth from JB and Jr’s face. 
“So… You guys are…” You didn’t need to finish you sentence.
“Dead. Just like you.” Jr said solemnly with his head down.
JB shot up and stood picked Jr up and patted his back. Jr regained himself and stood tall once again. They both turned to you and let out a hand each. You hesitantly grabbed them and they sprang you up to your feet.
“Yun Su… Welcome to the afterlife.”
 

*****

I hope you all have enjoyed the story so far, I will update in the next few days.
I am also sorry if my writing . I'm not the best writer so please forgive me if my work looks like .
For more updates and news please subscribe to this story ~

Love, leesoyoung