Sonagi

Between Life and Death

 

(A/N: Sonagi = Summer Rain. Rain shower in Summer.)
 
It was Saturday morning and you awoke to the pitter-pattering of raindrops hitting your window. Instead of getting up like usual, you curled yourself up into a ball with your blanket and buried your face into your pillow. There was a knock on you door followed by your mother’s muffled voice. 
“Yun Su honey, can I come in?”
“Yeah” You let out with a sigh.
You mother entered your room and sat on the edge of you bed.
“Yun Su-yah, you can’t stay in bed all day honey.” 
“…”
“I know you don’t like it when it rains but your have to get out of bed today.”
“…”
“Look Yun Su, even Aruemee is here to wake you.”
You dog jumped on the bed and started to sniff the blanket fort you covered yourself with.
“I know mom, but…” you let out with a trembling voice.
“I understand dear, just promise me you won’t stay in bed all day.”
“I promise.” You promised her still under your covers.
You mom left your room and left the door ajar so that Aruemee could go out freely. 
You peeped your head out the covers and called your dog over.
“Aruem-ah, come here.”
The little toy Maltese dog jumped over to you happily. You brought her inside your fortress and petted her.
 
Flashback
“Yun Su-yah! Daddy’s back!” You father called from downstairs . You ran down to your father and jumped into his arms.
“Daddy!” You giggled being picked up by your father.
“Welcome home honey.” Your mother smiled as she wiped her hands from finishing cooking. 
“Ahh my beautiful wife.” Your father made him way to her and hugged her with one arm as he held you up in the other.
“Daddy! Daddy guess what day it is!” You said eagerly as he put you down.
“Hmmm, maybe it’s a certain princesses’ birthday?” You father guessed as you mother took his coat off him.
“You remembered!” You giggled with glee.
“How could I forget my princesses’ birthday!” your father exclaimed with a smile gleaming from his face. Your father reached into his bag and pulled out a small white ball of fur.
“What is it daddy?” You asked curiously observing the white ball.
“It’s a dog, your dog. Happy 8th birthday princess.” He said as he handed you the small now moving pup. You carefully let out both of your hands and held the small pup. Her eyes and nose were black and the corners of were shaped in a way that made it look like she way smiling.
“Thank you daddy! Thank you!” You exclaimed with joy. You studied the snow like white pup in your hand. “I’ll name you Aruemee.” The pup turned her head at you when you called her name. At that moment it seemed as if the small pup understood you. She nudged her small head against your left thumb. You giggled at the soft touch of the small dog. “From now on you are my dog Aruemee!” You declared.
 
***
You petted the now slightly bigger dog and smiled. She nudged your thumb like that first day you had received her. You let out a sorrowful smile. *Dad*
 
Flashback
 "Hey when’s dad coming home?” You asked your mom as she was preparing dinner. Your father was a business man that had to go on business trips a lot, it was the first time in 3 months that he would be coming home after a successful business trip.
You looked out the window at the sonagi showering outside. Although it was summer the clouds made it dark and gloomy outside.
“He’ll be here in 10 minutes” Your mother replied still busy with cooking.
You sat on the elongated window sill with Aruemee in your lap. As you looked at the dark clouds you felt your stomach churn. *Something doesn‘t feel right* you thought as you let Aruemee down from your lap. 
*Brrinng*
You cell phone rang in your pants pocket. You held it up and the caller ID read ‘Dad’.
*Hmm, maybe he’s calling to tell us he’ll be late* you thought and picked up your phone.
“Hello?”
“Yu-yun Su-u-yah…” You heard your father’s week voice.
You jumped up from the window sill. “DAD?”
“My-y, beaut-i-i-ful prin-ces-s. I’m s--orry.” your dad pleaded crying.
“DAD? WHERE ARE YOU? ARE YOU OKAY? DAD! DAD!”
“I’m so-rry.” He let out for the last time.
“DAD! WHERE ARE YOU! DAD! DAD! ANSWER ME! DAD!”
The line cut off. You ran into the kitchen crying.
“What’s wrong Yun Su?” Your mother said shocked seeing you crying.
“Mom, there’s something wrong with dad! We have to go find him.” You pleaded crying.
“What are you talking about?” Your mother asked confused.
“Dad, he-he called, and he… We have to go find him! RIGHT NOW!” You screamed.
“Yun Su calm down, what happened?” You mother asked still not sure what you were saying to her.
You gave up and ran out the house. Your shoes were on halfway and you were getting drenched by the rain shower. You kept running down the road hoping to find your father. 
 
As you ran and ran you saw red flashes that were blurred by your tears and the rain hitting your face. As you got closer you saw that the flashes were coming from ambulance cars. In front of the ambulance, there was a flipped over black car and a grey car with it’s front side destroyed. As you got closer and closer you saw that there were people crowding the scene. You squeezed past the people as best as you could to get a closer look. 
 
At the centre of the disaster there laid two bodies. One was of a young teenage male who seem to be scratched up. And the other was a man in a suit. He was laid over on his front side so you could not look at him face.
*Please, please don’t let it be dad.* You begged as the ambulance started to move the bodies onto the stretchers. You were relieved when the bodies past by that neither of them were your father. At that moment one of the firemen yelled out. “Hey we got another one!” At his words your heart sank.
*No, no, no please, no.* 
The fireman pulled out a middle aged man holding a phone in his hand. He did not respond to anyone’s touch and the ambulance rushed over.
This time instead of bringing a stretcher the paramedics brought over a body bag. You started to walk towards the body with tears flooding your face. A fireman noticed this and held you back.
“I’m sorry ma’am, you cannot get through.”
“Dad….” You let out weakly.
“Please get back ma’am.” 
“Dad…”
You watched the paramedics pick up your father’s body and open the body bag. You watched as the raindrops washing away the blood off his aged face. You finally couldn’t take it anymore and your legs gave out. “DAAAAAAD!” You cried out.
 
***
You finally came out of your fortress and entered the shower. 
*Dad* You thought as the warm water hit your back. You didn’t know why but the water that fell on you felt as cold as the rain on hitting you the day that happened 4 years ago. *Dad* You cried as you let the hard droplets him your body.
 
After your shower you finally went down stairs. You sat on the couch with a blank expression with the TV on. You glanced out the window that you were sitting on that day. Outside the window the rain drops fell vigorously and the rain clouds rumbled. “So-na-gi” You whispered to yourself as you carried on blankly looking out the window.