Bestfriends

Between Life and Death

 

*Ding dong dang dong*
The school bell rang to signal the start of first period. As usual you and Jr were already in your seats ready for class, And the seat behind in front of you was empty like always. You and Jr awaited the teacher to come in and start first period.
 
Halfway through first period you received a message. *buzz* You open your phone to read the message discreetly.
 
From: JB
 
Yah! Look outside!
 
You looked out the window beside you to find JB in the tree waving happily at you. You face palmed yourself. *Oh not again* Jr took notice of you and nudged your arm. 
“What’s wrong?” He mouthed. You sighed and pointed to the fool in the tree. *buzz* This time it was Jr’s phone.
 
From: JB
 
Hey could one of you open the window for me?
 
Jr showed you the text. *Oh boy* you thought to yourself as to reached over and started to push the window up as quietly as possible.
 
Outside
 
JB put his phone away and awaited you to open the window. *Ah what a nice day* he thought as he admired the warm summer sun. ‘BUZZZZZZ’ JB heard in his ear. *What was that?* he thought to himself as he looked around to find the source of the noise. As he shot his head left and right his eyes caught something above him. *Oh * JB started to flail his arms like a mad man. “SHOO! Get away!” He swatted the bee. “Get away from me!” he yelled.
 
In the Classroom
 
You managed to open the window halfway inconspicuously. *Almost there* You started to push the window with full concentration. “SHOO! Get away!” JB’s voice could be heard. Your classmates took notice and looked your direction. They also caught sight of JB fighting off the bee on the tree branch and started giggling. You finally managed to open the window when JB lost his balance. 
“OH MY GAAAAAAAAAA!!!!” He yelled as he fell to the ground. Your classmates burst into laughter.
“QUIET!” the teacher turned to the commotion, furious. “Lee Yun Su! What are you doing!” he asked you furiously. You sat there darting your eyes back and forth from the teacher and the window.
“She was just opening the window sir.” Jr answered for you.
“Did I ask you Park Jin Young Student?” He retorted.
“No sir…” Jr replied.
The teacher asked you once again knowing that you were the worst liar that ever lived, he knew you’d have to tell him the truth. “Yun Su, I’m asking you one more time. What is it that you were doing with the window?”
“Well…” You were about to answer but the door slid open. At the opened door a dirtied JB stood with a smile plastered on his face. His uniform was dirty and he had bits of leaves in his hair. His tie was crooked and the cuffs of his shirt were tattered.
“Sorry for being late, sir!” JB entered and bowed to the teacher.
“Im Jae Bum, why am I not surprised it was you.” The teacher huffed out with his arms on his waist giving a disapproving look. “Jae Bum-goon, Jin Young-goon, and Yun Su-yang go to the hallway and hold your arms up until next period.” 
“Neh, Sseam.” JB exited. You and Jr looked at one another and got up.
(a/n: Goon=boy, and Yang=girl. It’s a different type of honorific that older people use. Sseam is Sunssangnim shortened.)
 
***
You and Jr were kneeling out in the hallway carrying out your punishment, while JB was just sitting against the the wall this is hands behind his back. You slapped the back of JB’s head “Yah! Carry out your punishment properly!” you whispered angrily to him. He looked at you and smiled,
“Why no one’s watching.” he winked.
“Just do it Jae Bum!” you whispered.
“No.”
“Jae Bum hyung, just do it before we get into more trouble.” Jr begged.
“We’re not going to get into trouble.”
“No, that’s because you already got us into trouble.” You snapped at him.
“Guys will you relax? There’s no one here and the teacher is too busy dictating the class to check on us.” JB convinced the two of you. Jr looked around and JB was right. There wasn’t even a single hint of anyone near by. Jr slowly began to lower his arms. You shot your glare at him and he immediately shot his arms back up.
“Woah, woah, Yun Su don’t give the boy a heart attack.” JB said as he patted your shoulder. You shot your head around back at JB. “Don’t talk to me.” You said as you whipped your head away from him once again.
 
After awhile your arms started to ache. ** You glanced over at Jr next to you. His face was cringed and he was starting to sweat. You quickly glance at JB. JB was staring at you waiting for the moment you’d look at him. *Bingo* JB smirked at you with his signature half teeth showing smirk. You quickly shot your head back to Jr. Jr turned his head toward you. “Mianhae Yun Su yah, I can’t do this any longer.” JR apologized and lowered his arms. 
“Finally! Your perseverance is strong young one.” JB nodded to JR with a smile on his face. Once Jr was seated in a more comfortable position, JB turned to you. “Now the question is how long can you hold it?” JB asked.
 
***
“Ahhh, my neck is killing me.” You said sitting in your chair opening your lunch. “That’s what you get for holding your arms up for a whole hour.” JB said turned around in his chair.
“Jin young, could you tell Jae Bum that I’m longer going to acknowledge his existence.” You requested to Jr. Jr turned to JB, “You heard her hyung.” 
“Aye, Aren’t you being childish?” JB asked you playfully.
“Hmpf.” You let out and you shot your head away and looked out the window. JB got up and made his way behind you. You felt his warm hands land on your shoulder. “C’mon. Don’t be like that.” He said as he started to massage your sore shoulders. You still weren’t satisfied with his apology yet and continued to look out the window. “Hmmm” JB hummed as he returned to his seat. *You won’t be mad at me for long* JB thought as he opened his school bag and pulled something out. JB brought his hand up and waved the strawberry and cream Chupa Chups in front of your face. You turned to him hesitantly following the candy. “I know you want it ~” He teased you with a smile on his face. You eyed the candy as he hovered around. “I’ll give you this if you accept my apology.” He negotiated. Your hand hesitantly raised up and grabbed the candy from him. “That’s a good girl!” He praised you and pat your head. 
You let out a pout, “What am I, a dog?” You said as you put the candy away into your pocket. “Huhu, your much cuter than a dog.” JB smirked. You felt your face get warm and you quickly started to unravel your lunch. *She’s so… cute.* JB and Jr thought at the same time. 
 
“Woah!” JB gasped seeing your enormous lunch. “What’s up with all that food?” He asked.
“My mom packed some extra food because she knows you guys can’t cook for yourselves.” You said as you pushed the lunch forward.
“Your mom’s the best!” JB said happily as he reached for the food.
“Thank you for the food!” Jr said also happily.
 
You knew JB and Jr since the eighth grade when they transferred together into your school. Since then you had been your best friends. They helped you come out of your emotional shell that you had built from greiving over your father's death. The two lived with one another without their parents and they would often come over and eat at your house. The three of you were the best of friends and always stuck through no matter what.
 
***
*BRRRINNG* 
The school bell rang to signal the end of the school day. *Finally* You stretched your arms and gathered your books. Jr and JB were already waiting for your at the door. “C’mon, let’s get out of here and go eat dokkboki.” JB said eagerly. 
“Alright, alright, calm you horses. I just need to hand this to Mr. Park and we can go.” 
The three of you made your way to the teacher’s office. The three of you entered and bowed to the teachers. You set the paper on Mr. Park’s desk. “Oh, Jaebum-ah, Jinyoung-ah, Yun Su-yah what are you guys doing here?” Mr.Anh asked the three of you.
 
Mr. Anh’s mother and your mother were close. You grew up with Mr. Anh being a brother figure to you. He was also very close to JB and Jr since the four of you hung out many times before he became and teacher and got a job at your school. He was also very friendly, and easy going towards the students. Mr. Anh was respected and admired for being like a ‘big brother’ to all the students at the school.
 
“Oh, hyung!” Jr greeted. You and JB greeted him too. 
“We’re just here to give Mr. Park the student list for the July student camp.”
“Oh, are you guys going?”
“Wouldn’t miss it for the world!” you said eagerly.
“That’s good, hey tell your mom that my mom says thanks for the kimchi soup, it was delicious.” Mr. Anh said.
“Neh, oppa. You said smiling and bowed to excuse yourself.
The three of you excused yourselves and started to head out. “Ah Yun Su-yang, good timing.” Your teacher from first period stopped the three of you at the door.
“Yes sir?” You answered him.
“You guys better behave from now on, I won’t tolerate your tomfoolery in my class.” He scolded the three of you. “You guys are the three top students in my class, please become better role models and keep yourselves out of trouble.” 
“Yes Sir.” the three of you said and excused yourselves.
 
“PUHAHAHAHAHA!” JB let out a big laugh at the school gates. “Did you hear him? Tomfoolery! Oh my goodness.” JB cracked up. You and Jr laughed along with him. 
“Alright enough with the laughing, let go eat!” You cheered as you pointed ahead.
 
***
The three of you walked down the sidewalk and neared your house. After eating and playing at the arcade for a couple of hours it was now reaching night time. Jr and JB walked you home as they always did, and you bid them farewell.
“Night guys!” You waved happily.
“Good night!” JB and Jr waved back at you.
As you were about to go in the gates you felt JB and Jr hug you.
“Uhh, guys?” You asked questioning why they were hugging you.
“Good night Yun Su-yah.” Jr whispered into your ear.
“Sleep well our Yun Su.” JB whispered into your other ear.
“Uhhh, thanks.” You said awkwardly as you got out of their grasp. “See you guys on Monday.” You said as you bid them farewell one more time.
 
You about to change into your Pjs to get ready for bed when you felt something in your pocket. *What’s this?* pulled out the Chupa Chups JB had given you earlier as a peace offering. You smiled and opened the candy and popped it into your mouth. *Those dorks* You smiled and changed. 
 
***
“Hyung, we can’t do this to her.” Jr said with teary eyes. “She’s already lost her dad, we can’t take her mom away from her as well.”
“I know Jr, I know. But we can’t go against the laws of death.” JB said as he lowered his head. “Everyone must follow the cycle of life. It’s inevitable.”
“But, she only has those two left. If we take her mom from her, she’ll be left alone with Aruemee (your dog).” Jr said as a tear slid down in cold cheeks.
“We can’t change the fate of te living Jr, only the living can do that.” JB said as he vanished into the darkness of night.