Six

Stereotype

 

Jinki wasn’t really one to pay attention to fashion. His style was simple and comfortable -if you wanted to categorize it- but in reality he just threw on whatever. As long as his clothes were not dirty, not restricting and made him look …not hideous, they brought him satisfaction. Long story short, Jinki didn’t know the first thing about fashion. But still he had sat in the crowd year after year as all the design club students from every high school in the city came together to put on the yearly Student Fashion Show.

 

Jinki thought of how Kibum wanted to be considered as someone important in high school and sometimes he was proud that he achieved his goal. Kim Key had become the most anticipated designer over the past couple of years because of his one of a kind clothing. Through his designs his individuality shined; there was no doubting his work when it was sent down the runway. Surely the event brought much agitation and nerves but no one would ever know as Key confidently walked down the catwalk with his models and his breathtaking bright smile at the end.

 

It was this reason that Jinki sat through this occasion -that didn’t interest him much- every year. That smile was worth seeing.

 

“What you looking at?” The sudden voice made the brunette jerk forward in surprise. A certain blonde boy now peered over his shoulder looking over at the poster on the wall which Jinki didn’t even realize he had been staring at for quite a while. “Ohhh I see. The student fashion show is coming soon a.k.a. the residing place of His Majesty Kim Key,” Jjong teased with a playful grin.

 

“I’m not looking at that just because of him,” the older boy snapped as he turned to look at the younger blonde. “What do you want anyways?”

 

“Nothing, nothing.“ Jjong said putting his arm around the other’s shoulders- the height difference made the action feel a bit awkward but still friendly. “I just saw you standing here all by yourself and I thought ‘why not come keep my good friend Onew company?’ “

 

The brunette gave the blonde a suspicious look. “You don’t talk to me unless you need help with something.”

 

“What kind of friend do you think I am?” the blonde asked, appalled by the accusation before adding, “But since you brought it up, there is a favor I could use.”

 

Jinki sighed; he knew this was coming. “What exactly do you need?”

 

“Well, ya see, there’s this party I’m going to this Friday and I was planning to bring Taemin with me but he says his parents wouldn’t let him go even if he asked so that’s where you come in,” Jjong explained, with hand motions and all.

 

“I don’t like where this is going,” Jinki commented and beginning to walk off.

 

“Hey, just hear me out, ok?” Jjong said catching up to the other. “All we need you to do is let Taemin sleep over this weekend like he says you usually do. I’ll pick him up late so your parents think you’re sleeping and I promise to bring him back before sunrise. “

 

Jinki stopped walking and looked at the blonde with a serious face. “Again, I don’t like where this is going.”

 

“Oh come on.” Jjong tried to persuade the other. ”It’s just a somewhat small gathering of people with music and all that usual party crap. I know people sometimes bring drinks but I don’t like alcohol anyway so I’ll be able to keep my eye on him the whole time.”

 

Jinki shook his head. “What if Taesun shows up? He’s not gonna like seeing his little brother in a place like that.”

 

“It’s cool! My friend from out of town is throwing the party so I doubt that anyone else from this school is gonna be there.” The blonde beamed at the elder as if he had already declared a victory, as innocent as a child that had just found a map and strongly believed that he’d find buried treasure. “So what do you say, Onew hyung? Can you do me this favor as me and Taemin’s friend?”

 

Jinki seriously cursed his inability to say no to people at that moment. And with big brown eyes sparkling with hopeful expectation, and the added ‘hyung’ at the end which had never been addressed to him by Jjong before it made it all the more difficult to deny the request. He sighed before giving the answer, “Alright.”

 

It wasn’t until the giddy blonde gave a pat on the shoulder to thank him thank him and walked away that Jinki realized he had reached a whole new level in their relationship if he was being referred to as “friend” and didn’t refuse the title.

 

~~~~~

 

“Kai asked me out today,” Luna declared casually as she slurped up more noodles into . Jinki tiled his head to the side, a bit confused on how he should react. “Is that …a good thing?”

 

“Well,” the blonde looked up with a calm expression. “He’s not really the type of guy I’d go after but he is really nice and he’s not bad looking either so I said yes,” she shrugged.

 

“That’s great then,” Jinki congratulated as he slowly ate up his mouthful of ramen. “Those girls can finally get off your back about you and Taemin.”

 

“No kidding. And I guess he already flat out rejected her since she asked to change partners,” she added letting out a small chuckle and she smiled weakly. “The brat did the right thing.”

 

“But he’s still not dancing with you,” Jinki pointed out.

 

“No…he still hasn’t really tried talking to much me either, but at least I don’t have to deal with all the stupid girl drama crap anymore during dance class.”

 

“You’re at peace now,” he said as he poured her a glass of water.

 

“Yeah.” Raising the cup, she took a long sip of her drink and as she set it down, she gave the brunette across the table a look of apology, “I’m sorry we can’t hang out this weekend.”

 

“Don’t worry about it. You need to practice your dancing and you’ve got a date. I get it.”

 

“What are you gonna do then?”

 

He shrugged. “I’m sure something will happen.” Jinki wouldn’t have it any other way. He didn’t know if it was right to hide the plans he had already been put up to with Taemin that weekend, but he didn’t want to hurt her while she looked so relaxed for the first time in quite a while.

 

~~~~~

 

It was Friday after classes as Jinki stood outside by the school entrance where he was told to wait. From a distance he could see Taemin give Taesun a hug goodbye before running over, his overnight bag bouncing off his hip with every leap he took. "Hi hyung!" the giddy redhead greeted when he approached the older boy.

 

"Hey," Jinki said back. It had been weeks really since he had last had a long talk with the younger. Sure, they said hi to each other whenever they crossed paths in the hallway but honestly he couldn’t figure out whether things were still the same between them or if everything was different now. "So do you wanna take a bus or just walk?" The brunette asked idly before stepping forward to the sidewalk.

 

"Don't be silly, Onew hyung!" Taemin exclaimed grabbing onto the other's arm to prevent him from moving forward. "Jonghyun hyung will drive us in his new car. He's waiting for us right now."

 

The younger didn’t even wait for a proper reply before dragging the older boy to the student parking lot. Jinki didn’t miss the way his dongsaeng’s eyes lit up when he spotted a bright red sports car. Taemin was always positive, but he was never this childlike. Maybe Jinki had never noticed since he used to hang out with him almost all the time. Maybe the time apart made him see these things he never knew before.

 

Letting go of Jinki’s forearm the redhead sprinted across the pavement and into the passenger’s seat as if afraid someone would steal his place. Jinki walked behind hesitantly as he slipped in the backseat. "Hyung! I can’t believe you actually got this car! It’s so cool!" the youngest complimented as he looked over the vehicles features in pure amazement. "You’re gonna let me drive it one day, right?"

 

"Only until you’re old enough to drive," Jjong replied with an amused chuckle as he backed out his parking space.

 

"I know I know. But until then you’re gonna drive me around all the time. And you better show up to all my dance performances, ok?"

 

"Yes Minnie, I...."

 

"And you'll take me on more dates too." The statement was said so definitely yet seemed so shy and scared of rejection. Jjong reached over and affectionately wrapped his strong hand around Taemin’s frail one. "You know I can't say no to you."

 

It only takes about fifteen minutes to walk from school to Jinki's house; less than ten minutes by car but it felt like an eternity until they parked in front of his house. The pair had been chatting the whole way and suddenly Jinki was regretting agreeing to this plan. The idea made him uncomfortable. Jjong hadn’t even said hi to him and he was mad at himself for always forgetting his iPod at home once again.

 

"You’re coming in?" Jinki asked when he noticed the blonde turn off the engine and step out of the car.

 

"Taemin wants to sleep for a bit so he can be awake for tonight so I was thinking we could work on the contest in the meantime. You mind?"

 

"Um... no. It’s okay I guess." He replied softly as he watched the two boys already head towards the front door of his home without even bothering to listen to the rest of his sentence.

 

"Well come on hyung! Come and open the door, silly!" Taemin shouted. It was strange to hear the redhead’s giggles from even far away when the older blonde would lean in a little too closely and whisper things in his ear. What Jinki felt at that moment towards Taemin was far too familiar. He had felt this way towards Choi Minho when he was with Key though he wasn’t exactly sure what feeling that was. It wasn’t the love and it wasn’t the jealousy, it just…hurt.

 

As Jinki looked down at his shoes, he thought that maybe it was time for him to get some new clothes.

 

~~~~~

 

Taemin had fallen asleep in Jinki’s bedroom so they were in the music room skimming through songs. Jinki looked over at Jjong, at how he gently strummed the strings of the guitar and softly sang to himself; he almost looked harmless this way. “Where’s this party you guys are going to?” 

 

“Just a friend’s house,” the blonde responded not looking away from the guitar on his lap.

 

“And you’re sure it’s safe right? No kids doin’ dope or nothing?”

 

“Are you from the 60’s all of a sudden?” Jjong laughed eyes still focused on the instrument in his hands.

 

“I’m being serious.”

 

Jjong sighed looking up to meet the other’s face. “Look, I wouldn’t want to hurt the kid alright? I just like being around him.”  

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Just relax,” the blonde concluded, going back to strumming a few chords. “I’ll keep a good eye on him.”

 

~~~~~

 

The sound of someone stumbling into the room awake Jinki from his slumber. He groaned turning and rubbing the sleep that was heavy on his eyes. “Taemin?” he croaked.

 

“Sorry,” the redhead apologized softly. Jinki sat up from bed and looked down at Taemin who was on his knees, holding himself up from his arms. Immediately alarmed, Jinki got out of bed and crouched down beside Taemin. “Hey, are you ok?”

 

“Yeah, yeah.” Taemin replied instantly. “I’m just kinda sore is all.”

 

“What happened?” the elder asked with concern. He lifted the young boy onto the bed, pulling off his shoes and pulling the covers over him. Taemin remained silent while Jinki closed the window and went back to his spot on the bed. The silent sniffling said so much more than word could. “What happened?” he asked again.

 

“Hyung…”

 

“Minnie?” Jinki said softly as he scooted in closer. “Why are you sore?”

 

“Because I did it,” Taemin choked out. Jinki pushed the red fringe away from the young boy’s eyes and the stream of tears almost made him want to cry himself. “What did you do, Minnie?”

 

“I…I had with Jonghyun.”

 

Jinki held Taemin as he sobbed against his chest.