Three

Stereotype

 

 

There’s that guy that seems to not have a single flaw in his life: tall, handsome, smart and a charming personality. Being the school’s best bet into making it into a major league -whether it be basketball, soccer, track or whatever he chose to be- impressed not only students but faculty members from even beyond school walls. His charismatic gaze could make anyone waver right on the spot and his overall mysterious feel made people want to know more about him.

What a shame that he was afraid of revealing his true self.

 

~~~~~

 

Jinki arrived at the pristine dance hall with his parents. It had become tradition for all three families to meet at these events and go out for lunch afterwards as a congratulatory. It wasn’t even necessary for him to inform his parents that he was gonna go backstage to wish his friends good luck while they went find the others’ parents.

The waiting room was filled with anxious dance students all prepped in their stage clothes just waiting for the show to start. Some were stretching, others were talking amongst themselves, and others just bounced giddy with nerves and excitement. He called out when he spotted Luna’s head of blonde hair. “Hey!”

She turned and smiled as her friend walked over to her. “Hey! I was wondering when you were gonna show up.”

“Yeah sorry. Traffic.”

“No. no. It’s cool,” she smiled softly.

“So you feel ok?”

She exhaled loudly. “I’m kind of nervous but nothing too bad. Although it’d help if my partner wasn’t abducted by a bunch of hopeless lovesick girls.”

“Where is Taemin anyway?” Jinki asked as he started looking around the dancers.

“He’s been captured by the pretty princess of not-so-subtle flirtation,” Luna explained as she jabbed her thumb towards the other side of the room where a shy Taemin was conversing with a very pretty dark haired girl. “That chick seriously doesn’t know when to stop.”

“Is that the girl you were talking about last time? Sulli?”

“That’s the one.”

Jinki was confused. “Weren’t you encouraging those two becoming a couple just a few days ago?”

“Oh I got no problem with that. The problem is that she keeps pulling him away when he should be practicing with me. It’s been like that this whole week.” She exhaled again. “You know what? I’m just gonna go get his skinny over here and practice like he’s supposed to.”

“You do that.” Jinki laughed awkwardly. “I’ll see you guys after the show.”

As Jinki walked out the waiting room and down the hall, he didn’t expect to run into someone familiar. When he noticed a tall figure with dark hair and eyes walking his way, he wasn’t even sure if he should stay and talk or just scurry away but he was spoken to before he could properly make a decision, “Hyung?”

Jinki looked at him acting as if he had just realized the other’s presence. “Oh hey um. Good to see you, Minho-shi.”

The tall boy chuckled at the other’s awkwardness. Jinki had to admit that the sound was quite attractive. He hated to admit it. “Don’t worry about the formalities. You’re older than me so just talk comfortably.”

“Oh well ok. Um,” Jinki shifted around nervously on his feet. “What brings you here?”

“My little sister is one of the dancers and I wanted to give her these before the show starts,” Minho explained raising a bouquet of colorful flowers the Jinki hadn’t noticed before. 

“Oh I see…” Jinki really wanted to just walk away. But of course the other was polite and wanted to be friendly towards ‘his boyfriend’s old friend’.

“What about you?” Minho asked.

“Oh I’m just here to support some friends. Not siblings but just like… young friends and…yeah.”

“Oh that’s nice of you.” Minho’s smile was alluring as well.

“So are you here alone or…” Jinki began to ask.

“Oh I’m here with my parents. But if you talking about Key, well he already had other plans so I didn’t really see the point of asking him to join me if he was already busy, ya know?”

“Well that’s nice,” Jinki awkwardly grinned.

“Thanks. Well I need to go find my sister before they raise curtain so I’ll leave first. Good to see you hyung.” And with a respectful bow, Minho walked away.

 

~~~~~

 

“Hyung?”

“Yeah?”

“Is it wrong that I’m not interested in Sulli?”

Jinki turned to look at the red head lying in his bed upon hearing the sudden question. “Not at all. Why would you think that’s wrong?”

Taemin shifted under the covers to turn sideways and face the older boy. “I’m a teenage boy, and she’s a really pretty girl and she’s really nice, too. Plus she already likes me. Don’t you think I’m supposed to be attracted to someone like her?”

“Well just because she’s pretty and nice doesn’t mean you automatically have feelings for her. She can always just be a friend. Like Luna. I mean, she’s a pretty girl too and she’s just your friend,” Jinki calmly explained.

“That’s another thing,” Taemin went on. “People at school always ask me why I don’t just make a move on Luna since we’re almost always together. Is that something I’m supposed to do?”

“That would depend on whether or not you really like her.”

“Well obviously I like her. I mean we’re friends of the same age and we practically grew up together. She’s like my sister…twin even!” Jinki chuckled at the other’s innocent description. “That’s not what I meant, Taemin-ah. I mean, do you really like her? As in more than a friend?”

He pondered the idea for a minute before responding. “I think it’d be too weird to date Luna. It’d feel like .”

“There ya go. That’s your answer.” Jinki concluded. “You can’t always listen to what people say in school. They just see things from the outside. Only you know how you really feel.”

“But…hyung? What if… “The younger boy asked hesitantly. “What if I’m just not interested in girls in general?”

“You can’t just jump to conclusions like that.”

“But what if it’s true?” Sitting straight up, the red head looked distressed. “What would my parents say? What if they stop loving me? And what if Taesun-hyung gets disgusted with me? I don’t know what I’m gonna do!”

“Tae, Tae relax,” Jinki comforted sitting up and putting an arm around the redhead’s tense shoulders. “You’re still young and not liking a girl right now doesn’t make you gay. It might just mean you haven’t met the right one yet.”

“But…what if I am?” Taemin whispered dejectedly.

“Then it’s okay. There’s nothing wrong with being gay. But for now we’ll just have to wait and see what happens. If things turn out for the worse just know that you’re always welcome here with me.”

“Thanks Onew-hyung,” said the boy as he hugged the elder with true appreciation. Jinki ruffled the other’s mop of shaggy red hair. “Anything for my favorite dongsaeng,”

Taemin lay back down and readjusted himself in the sheets. “I’m glad I’m your favorite dongsaeng. It means I can sleep over whenever I want to which is good because your bed is so damn comfortable.”

Jinki smiled.

 

~~~~~

 

“So how was your week, Sweetie?” Jinki looked up from his plate of food and at his parents. It was the typical Sunday night dinner with small talk and much needed family bonding. As nice and understanding as the Lees were, it still made the teenage boy uncomfortable to try and open talk about feelings.

“I entered the Annual Talent Scouting contest with someone from school.”

“Oh how wonderful!” complimented Mrs. Lee. Jinki could understand why his mother reacted in such a joyful manner. It had been a while since he sang. “Who did you enter with?” asked Mr. Lee with a warm smile. Jinki’s parents had always been warm and encouraging people. He was thankful to have parents like them. He was guilty for being such a burden to them.

“His name is Jjong. He’s the one I help with English assignments.”

“Oh you mean your handsome blonde friend who came by the other day?” Jinki nodded. “He’s been coming by a lot lately,” his mother added as an afterthought.

The brunette slumped in his seat and shrugged. “We’re not exactly friends. He’s just a classmate who needed a favor.”

“Oh. Well that’s nice to help out your classmates. Jjong seems like a really polite boy.”

The silence that overtook the atmosphere made Jinki want to beat himself up. He just couldn’t help it if he was uncomfortable with sharing personal thoughts with his parents. The idea of letting down his parents –the people who had raised him and put so much effort into his well-being- even more than he already had was enough to keep quiet.

“Dr. Han called,” informed Jinki’s father. “You still have you’re appointment this week if you feel like talking to him.”

Jinki couldn’t let them down again. “Ok. I’ll go this time.”

Jinki didn’t want to feel sad anymore. He didn’t want to think of school or contests with Jjong. He didn’t want to think of Kibum who is now Key or his lovely boyfriend Minho. He wanted a rest. Jinki took his medicine that night and fell into a much needed deep sleep.

 

~~~~~

 

“Stop stuffing your face! You’re going to choke!”

Taemin swallowed his mouthful of food, happy and satisfied. “I can’t help it if it tastes so good!”

“Didn’t you eat breakfast?”

“Yes. But that was like four hours ago! I’m a growing boy so I must be fueled!” the redhead emphasized by stuffing another mouthful of food. Jinki shook his head while muttering, “I don’t know what I’m gonna do with you.”

“You’re gonna keep loving me and letting me sleep over on Saturday nights obviously”

Jinki was about to reply but stopped when he felt a hand rest on his shoulder. He turned looked over and saw that it was Jjong. “You mind if I borrow your friend here for a minute?” Taemin paused with his chewing, eyes big as he looked up at Jjong. Luna had a different lunch time that day, so that meant Taemin would have to wait by himself for a while. Still, he shook his head, granting permission.

Jjong pulled the brunette to a nearby tree, a slight smirk on his face. “That’s seriously a cute kid. He got a name?”

“Uhh yeah. It’s Taemin.”

“Taemin huh? He your guy? Didn’t think you were into .”

“What? No, nothing like that,” Jinki denied immediately. “He’s just a friend I’ve known for a few years.” 

“Nice,” Jjong grinned mischievously. “But yeah anyway I’ve been looking for some songs we could sing together and I’ve found some good choices.” Reaching into his bag, he pulled out a CD and handed it over to the brunette. “Tell me if there’s something you like. If you’re not digging any then that’s cool. But if you got different ideas then let me know. The more the better.”

“Oh ok. Yeah that pretty good. Thanks,” Jinki said taking the CD and looking at the track list that was added on the back.

“No big deal.” Jjong shrugged with that naturally cool, easygoing and carefree attitude he had. He stayed quiet for a while as if to think something over. When he finished going through whatever debate was going on inside his head, he asked “So is it cool if I head to your place again after school?” Jinki thought it over briefly. It was just a favor that needed to be done, right? His mother would be happy with the guest. “Yeah sure.”

“Cool. I’ll see you then,” Jjong parted in the opposite direction. He was a few steps away when he turned around and added, “Feel free to invite the cutie.”

Jinki didn’t know what that statement meant. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to find out.