Two

Stereotype

 

 

“You actually showed up!” The young redhead beamed as his two best friends walked through the doorway of his living room.

“Yeah he did, but it would have been nice if you actually got up and opened the door for us,” replied Luna cheekily as she plunged down on the couch beside Taemin.

“Hey, I’ve undergone some serious medical attention today and I need my rest. You’re lucky I’m still able to talk. There were needles and everything!” he complained.

The blonde girl rolled her eyes at the ridiculous comment. “I doubt that a regular cleaning counts as ‘serious medical attention’.”

“Whatever. No one asked you to come. I just wanted to see Onew hyung since he’s been busy all week,” he directed at the oldest. “I’m honored to have you as a guest in my humble home.”

Shaking his head, Jinki took a seat on the opposite couch. “Do remind me why I’m still friends with you two because at the moment my mind’s drawn a blank.”

“Well!” Taemin piped up. “In my case, I’m that little brother you’ve always secretly wanted therefore you’ve been eternally captivated by my supposed cuteness and charming personality. And Luna…” he paused to give a brief look over at the blonde, “well I don’t know what you see in her. Now that I think of it, we should just kick her out.”

“You brat!” Luna called out, throwing a pillow at the redhead. “Oppa! Make him be nice to me!”

“Taemin,” said Jinki in a mock-reprimanding tone. “What have I told you about being polite to a lady?”

“But hyung!” the redhead complained, playing along with the scenario. ”She’s not a lady! A lady wouldn’t aim a pillow at the face of a sick boy who’s in recovery!”

“Oh really. And who would you consider a lady? Sulli?” she teased. The eldest’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion at the unfamiliar name. “Sulli?”

“She’s this girl that just recently transferred into our dance class and I’m pretty sure she’s got her eyes set on our Minnie,” Luna explained.

“Oh really? What you think of her?” Jinki asked sincerely curious. Taemin wasn’t the type to talk about girls so the topic was really something new.

Taemin shrugged, shyly turning his head. “She’s cute and stuff but I don’t know. She seems kind of girly to me.”

“They’d look so cute together! I keep telling him to stop being such a loser and at least try to get to know her. Little Minnie can finally have his first girlfriend,” the blonde cooed in a baby voice while pinching the young boy’s cheeks.

“Quit it!” Taemin complained swatting away her hand. “It’s not like I even want a girlfriend. I’m fine just the way I am.”

“But obviously Sulli wants a certain someone to be her boyfriend!”

“Exactly. And then this Sulli girl can have a boyfriend just like Key.” Jinki added in.

“And then you can…”

“Wait.” Taemin interrupted and looked at Jinki. “What did you just say about Key?”

“Huh?” Blinked the older boy unaware of what was going on.

“The thing about Key. What did you say?”

“Ohhh…that Key has a boyfriend.” Jinki repeated. “He introduced me to him today after school when I was waiting for Luna. His name is Minho.”

“Oh. And you’re…okay with that?” Taemin asked carefully. The brunette turned away from the younger boy’s gaze and shrugged. “Well, yeah I guess. I mean, why wouldn’t I be? Key seemed really happy and Minho is a really handsome guy.”

“Are you… are you sure?”

“Yeah.” Jinki looked down at his simple rubber bracelet and sighed. “It’s all good.”

 

~~~~~

 

Jinki truly loved his friends. One of the things he loved the most about them was how understanding they were when he wished to just spend some time alone. Hanging out at the school library during lunch may have been a very cliché and stereotypical scene for a somewhat introverted guy such as himself, but the room was quiet and somewhat empty and that brought him a sense of relaxation. Too much had been going through his mind the night before and he couldn’t figure out why he felt so…alone. It’s true he had family that was loving and friends that were caring and enjoyable to be with, but Jinki always felt most comfort being alone. It never bothered him much when he had nobody around and honestly, he accepted a long time ago that he just wasn’t a social and outgoing type.

Every now and then though, there are locked up feelings that escape the safe from the back of his mind and with no one around to help hold up his defenses, he’d simply overwhelm himself in all his past regrets and heartaches. Writing in the library was one method he used to soothe his emotional scars.

“I had a feeling I’d find you here.”

Jinki looked up at the source of the voice; not that he needed to since it was a voice that he knew very well yet still didn’t fully recognize. “Did you need something from me?” he asked looking up at the blonde.

“I thought about what I said yesterday, about how it’s been a while since we hang out and that we should catch up soon. So I decided to invite you to come eat lunch with me.” Key declared assertedly.

“I…really?” Jinki asked taken aback from the sudden proposal.

“Don’t act so shocked. You of all people should know I’m not as cold as I seem,” the blonde reasoned as he began collecting the books on the table and stuffing them into the other’s backpack. “When was the last time we spent some time together?”

“Uh….a while I guess?” The brunette thought over. “Not since your parents invited my family over for dinner a few months ago.”

“Exactly. This is past due! So come sit with me at lunch today,” he obliged.

“I don’t know, Key. I…"

“Just sit with me.” The blonde cut off. “It’s not healthy to spend so much time alone.”

“But…”

“Let’s go,” he commanded, grabbing Jinki by his arm causing him to stumble behind the younger boy obediently. Not really having a choice, Jinki sat next to him while the usual group of people gathered around like Key was some kind of event at a carnival and began the multiple conversations that the blonde was somehow involved in each one. Every now and then Key acknowledged Jinki, lightly patting his shoulder or putting his hand on his. He turned to him and smiled, and Jinki smiled back: truth be told, it almost felt like old times.

The smile slowly faded when Minho arrived. He had to stay back and go over some things with a teacher which is why he arrived when lunch was almost halfway over. But Minho was there now, to claim his rightful spot beside the stunning blonde boy.

When the bell rang, Jinki gathered his things quickly and walked out not really wanting to watch any more of the exchanges of affection between the young couple.

"Hey wait!” Jinki froze, looking back at Key running towards him. He panted a bit, but smiled back at him. “Thanks for sitting with me.”

Jinki nodded, beginning to walk forward but his arm was grabbed once more. “Hey,” Key said, this time his tone serious. “I’m sorry we don’t hang out like we used to.”

“It’s ok.” Key tried smiling at Jinki again, but his eyes were glazed with that familiar glint of guilt that’d always appear when he confronted the brunette. “How’s your health?”

Jinki shrugged nonchalantly. “I’m better now.”

"That’s good.” The two stood looking at each other for a brief moment, until the bell ringing once more broke their silence. “Minho is waiting for me…I’ll see you around ok?”

 

~~~~~

 

Jinki could hear the giggles of girls in the background as he took out his books from his locker which only meant that their precious love was approaching. Jjong hadn’t looked for Jinki like he said he would during lunchtime. Or maybe he did. Of course, maybe he’d be able to find the brunette if he could see through the crowded table he ended up sitting at courtesy of Key. It felt nice to be remembered. But it hurt to realize that things just aren’t how they used to be.

“You’re not really a good listener, are you?” Jinki looked over, the handsome blonde leaning against the locker beside his. “Oh uhh... sorry, I got distracted.”

“Yeah I noticed,” laughed Jjong. “So I looked for you during lunch but I couldn’t’ find you. Where were you?”

"Yeah sorry about that…I ended up sitting with Key."

"Key?" he asked, a hint of amusement and curiosity present in his voice. "As in Kim Key?” The brunette nodded. “I didn't think you'd be one to hang around a guy like him."

“You know Key?” Jinki asked. He knew both Jjong and Key were popular guys, but it never really crossed his mind that people as different as those two could be friends.

Jjong shrugged. “We talk sometimes. He’s a lot of fun, though” he added with a smirk as if to imply something extra. Jinki didn’t want to know what that meant so he just nodded some more. “What were you doing sit with Key anyways?”

"He asked me to so I just…did.”

“Definitely sounds like something he’d do,” Jjong said with a chuckle. "Well since we couldn't meet at lunch I guess we should head to your house and start working on what we’re gonna do for the contest. Is that cool?”

 

~~~~~

 

It was a familiar scene the two boys found themselves in; Jinki sitting on the bed as Jjong admired the shelves of many books. They could have just worked in the living room with a spacious table, but they always came straight to Jinki’s bedroom. No one besides Taemin and sometimes Luna –and maybe his mom from time to time- came into his room, so he wasn’t quite sure why it was okay for Jjong to come right in. As if he fit in.

“Where’s the music stuff?” Jjong suddenly asked.

“What?”

“I’d think you’d at least have a guitar or something in here but there’s nothing but books. Don’t you at least have some CD’s?”

“Oh well…they’re all in the um. In the music room?”

Jjong raised his eyebrows. “Music room?”

“Yeah just... follow me,” Jinki instructed as he went out his room and down the hall. “It’s not that fancy or anything but this is it.” There was no doubt that Jjong was impressed when the door to said music room was open. Posters from all types of artists covered the walls, and various kinds of instruments aligned the shelves. Rows of music book and stacks of CD’s were piled beside a modest stereo and speakers. It had been months since Jinki had last been in the room.

“Whoa… how’d you manage to get all this stuff?”

“Um my dad owns a music store type thing so…”

“This is pretty bad ,” Jjong complimented as he looked through some of the CD’s. “This is definitely more than enough reference to come back to for our audition.” Jjong picked up a familiar disc and looked over the case. “If you want, we could cover a song. Or we could always write something. Original compositions are usually more impressive towards scouts so that might be a better choice. It all depends on what we can come up with and.” Jjong paused as he noticed Jinki staring intently at the ground. “Hey, are you ok?”

Jinki remained silent for a bit. He wasn’t sure where this discomfort had come from and why it had affected him so suddenly. “You have lots of friends, right?” he asked suddenly.

“I guess you can say that. Why?” Jjong asked, obviously baffled by the sudden question. Jinki felt thankful that the blonde just went along with it instead of questioning his sudden topic of choice. Jinki looked up at the blonde’s face; it didn’t help calm down his anxiety. “Do you know someone named Minho?”

“Minho? He’s a really good friend of mine. We go together to the gym a lot.” he smiled as his thoughts recollected of said friend. “Why you asking? Do you know him?”

“Not exactly. I just. I don’t know. I guess I got curious.”

“Oh. Well that’s cool. He’s a good guy and stuff.”

“That’s…good.”

“Yeah.” Jjong placed a gentle hand on Jinki’s shoulder and smiled. “Don’t worry. He’ll take care of your friend Key very well.”