CHAPTER 7

Cinderella's Sister

Don’t think too much of it, we never really cared about each other, even when we thought we did.

----

“Awake, hmm?”

Minjoo hastily slipped her phone into her pocket and gave Luhan a small nod.

“Hungry?”

“No.”

“Too bad,” he replied, pointing to two ramyeon cups on the table in front of her.

“I-I have to go anyway. I’m really late. I need to pick up Jieun anyway,” she muttered.

Luhan scoffed. “You know I’m not a rich guy. I’m not letting it go to waste. At least eat. You’ve got two hours anyway. Stop lying to me.”

Minjoo sighed before picking up the plastic fork slowly.

----

Jieun groaned when Kai whispered, “I hope you like maths,” in her ear. Rather ily, she might add. At least maths wasn’t so bad. And was the teacher holding a flowerpot? Yes, she wasn’t mistaken.

“Don’t join enviro club,” Kai said before walking into the classroom himself. She followed him and walked up to the teacher’s table, like she did before.

Overall, the class was rather dull in Jieun’s opinion – if you forgot Ms. Kang’s references to the environment. It was a wonder how she was in the maths department, rather than making her own, called ‘Save The Earth’. Jieun snickered to herself at her very lame attempt of making herself amused. What was wrong with her? She just felt so much more sarcastic than usual today.

Jieun forgot the fact that Kai was in her class, until he poked his finger through the hole in the back of the chair. She was lucky it wasn’t located any lower.

“The ,” she said bitterly, before turning around.

--

Jieun’s first day could have gone faster. Sad it hadn’t. She couldn’t go without giving credit to Kai though, she wouldn’t have lasted an hour. Her perspective of school hadn’t changed. Still as dull and boring as before.

At least there were hotter guys here.

It wasn’t long before she saw a familiar convertible pull up in front of her. But before she could get in, someone beat her to it.

“Oh what the hell,” she whined to herself. She walked to the other door and got in, greeting her sister and the indifferent Kai next to her.

“Did you meet Luhan again?” Kai asked Minjoo. Her response was a sigh and a shake of the head.

“Kris?”

“Kai,” Minjoo said firmly. She pursed her lips and pretended to focus on the road.

Jieun sat at the back awkwardly, wondering whether she should say something or act like she wasn’t there. She went for the second option.

“Don’t worry about me. You know I’d never go for Kris again,” Minjoo said suddenly. Kai face softened slightly. “Stop asking me useless questions and just get out. I don’t live next to you anymore, kid. I’ve got ten minutes left and I have to get this other kid home.”

He left without a word.

“You don’t have to bring me to school anymore if it troubles you, unnie,” Jieun squeaked.

“Don’t be so cliché. You and I both know you’d rather be sent to school.”

There was a slight pause. Jieun stared out of the window. She hesitated before opening , before closing it again.

“I have to send that punk home or he’ll accuse me of sleeping with someone anyway.”

In the mirror, Minjoo could see a small grin on Jieun’s face.

“Let’s become close, Jieun.”

Minjoo didn’t know her overall impression of Jieun. So far, she was at least respectful, and it was a definite plus. Kai seemed to dislike her for whatever reason, but she wasn’t going to let him choose who she should like. He called them instincts; she called them opinions that sometimes went wrong.

Minjoo received a phone call, just to find it was Kris again.

“What?” she asked impatiently.

“Don’t hang up on me yet, please. Let’s…meet.”

She sighed through her teeth.

“Fine. I’ll be there in 20.”

She hung up just as her car arrived in her driveway. Jieun nodded awkwardly and left quickly, knowing that she had to go somewhere according to Minjoo’s phone call.

Jieun stopped at the front door and fumbled her keys hesitantly. She was scared of her stepmother. She seemed nice at first, but without her dad around, she was different.

----

“For once, you aren’t late,” Minjoo said, her face softening after seeing Kris in a wheelchair.

“Yeah…I’m not,” he replied, wincing as he clutched his side.

“What happened?”

“Huh?”

“That.” She pointed at the wheelchair.

“Accidents happen.”