CHAPTER 5

Cinderella's Sister

 

“So – how was the art exhibition?” Minjoo said, trying to change the subject. It wasn’t very comfortable talking about her mother, although she couldn’t help but agree. She’d never admit it though.

His response was a sigh and a brief look out the window, followed by the biting of his lip. “I didn’t make it,” he said lifelessly.

“Don’t worry – you’ll definitely do better. Think of it as a bad day.”

“Then I guess all my days are bad days,” Luhan chuckled weakly, before meeting his lips with the edge of the cup again.

“You know…Mr. Lee’s dead?”

“Yeah; heard it this morning. It was everywhere. People are going ballistic because they didn’t have the chance to give him the funds they collected for the past two months or so,” Luhan said.

“F-Funds?” she asked. Her eyebrows furrowed and she pursed her lips together harshly.

“Didn’t you hear? He was going broke. The funds were a…you know, a thank you present?”

“Oh…”

They were met with another silence, before Minjoo’s phone gave out a deafening ring, disturbing the quiet.

“Sorry; let me just get this.”

She walked into the kitchen before answering the phone.

“Minjoo?”

“Oh – Kris.”

“Are you…alright?” Kris asked, making sure he chose his words carefully.

“You shouldn’t have to worry about me anymore, Kris. I have to go now – bye,” she replied hastily.

Kris sighed in frustration, hearing the dreaded dial tone, which signaled that Minjoo had hung up on him. He ruffled his hair and threw his phone onto the bed, assuming that she was probably with Luhan now – too busy to talk to him.

Kris wished he could relive the days where Minjoo would look at him and him only. When she’d forget about everything and just be the one that he loved, again. Except he knew that there was almost no chance that everything would piece itself together, again.

He knew the reality; he just had to accept it.

“That was quick,” Luhan laughed. “Knowing you, I thought you’d be on the phone forever.”

Minjoo gave a half-hearted nod in reply, before sitting down next to him. Realizing her non-cheery state, he met her eyes and gave her a melting smile and a pat on the head.

“Sing for me,” Minjoo said before closing her eyes.

Luhan wrapped his arms around her shoulders, her head resting on his chest, before beginning.

“Don’t cry Minjoo, its ok. Even when someone you don’t like calls you, be polite!”

Still with her eyes closed, she smacked his chest jokingly, muttering a ‘stop it!’

“Fine, fine. Geez woman.”

He felt another light smack before he sang again.

“Don’t wait anymore please
Take my heart instead
Yes, it is good as it is sharp
Even the moon closed its eyes this night

If I were a different man
And if I had a passage in a comedy
I would set fire to all the changed wounds that you and he made

Baby don’t cry, tonight
After the darkness has lifted
Baby don’t cry, tonight
It’ll be like nothing ever happened
You will never become a bubble,
In the end you don’t have to know
So baby don’t cry, cry
For my love will protect you.”

Luhan was met with no answer, so he slowly stood up, making sure he wasn’t disturbing Minjoo in her sleep.

“Do you mean what you just sang?” Minjoo asked suddenly.

Luhan turned around. “Hmm? What do you mean?”

“N-Never mind,” she stuttered. Then, she drifted back to sleep.

From a distance, Luhan watched her rest. Even now, she seemed so peaceful and sensible. Just the way he liked her. It was hard to deny that he had missed her a lot. Her smiles, her need for his comfort and her presence in general was hard to ignore.

“I missed you – so, so much.”

Luhan walked over to kiss her forehead, but stopped with his lips less than a centimeter away from her skin, then backing away.

“No Luhan, no.”