CHAPTER 4

Cinderella's Sister

 

Kai stepped into school, struggling to walk due to his half-asleep state. He woke up almost instantly, seeing a familiar car, with a familiar head coming out.

“N-Noona!” he called. Kai walked towards her, and then was surprised to see an unfamiliar face in front of him. He saw Minjoo swallow, before speaking, which meant she was nervous.

“This…is my sis- stepsister.”

Kai nodded, knowing the reason why she was stuttering.

“H-Hello,” Jieun bowed. She bit her lip and looked up at the slightly frightening figure of Kai.

“She’s attending here. Look after her, will you?” Minjoo connected her words to be as smooth as possible, as normal as possible, trying to persuade Kai that she didn’t need yesterday to happen again; it felt so awkward having a heartfelt talk like that.

Minjoo left abruptly, nodding and then stepping into her car. She sighed before turning on the ignition and reversing the car to leave for home.

As soon as she arrived, she headed for the piano room she discovered yesterday. Inside, was her mother, who was dusting the top of the piano.

“I never had the chance to ask – how have you been doing?” Minjoo asked, after gathering her mother’s attention. She let out an audible sigh before seating next to Minjoo.

“Could be better.”

“Really? How?”

“…We don’t need that child – such a nuisance.” She answered with an unreadable expression.

“W-What?”

“Didn’t you see your teacher yesterday before he died? How was that?” Minjoo could tell she was trying to change the subject, so she didn’t bother changing it back, knowing that her mother would be persistent to leading her away.

“He gave me a 100th recital present.”

“Where is it?”

“I left it in the car yesterday. I’ll get it later.”

“Why don’t you go see Luhan? It’s been a while.”

Of course, Minjoo thought. Trying to get me as close to Luhan as possible…but I’m not really complaining.

“Why not?” she sighed. “May as well. I’ll be back after I pick up Jieun.”

Before she could stand up and leave, her mother did so abruptly. “You don’t need to!” she said sharply.

“Mum,” she urged. “I’ll be coming back at that time anyway.” She pulled her arm, telling her to sit down, and then leaving.

Minjoo’s hands gripped the steering wheel nervously. What if she did something stupid or embarrassing in front of Luhan again? But there was no way that he could see her like this; half-depressed and lifeless; he’d probably laugh.

--

“Sorry that I didn’t call.”

“It’s ok.” Luhan shot a melting smile at Minjoo and gestured her in.

They sat in the living room, coffees in hand. There was silence, but they were both used to this kind of atmosphere, just enjoying each other’s presence.

“Did you enjoy yourself?” Luhan asked, raising his mug to his lips again.

“Yes; it was fun.”

“I heard about teach,” he said, sympathy detectable in his voice. “Shame really,” he continued. Luhan put down his mug on the coffee table with a small clank and wrapped his arms around Minjoo’s shoulders.

“Stepfather’s gone too. This is messed up, isn’t it? And now I’ve got a new stepsister,” Minjoo sighed, before lowering her cup too.

“Is she annoying? I’m guessing she is, based on your expression.”

“N-No,” she replied quickly. “She’s alright. It’s just that mum doesn’t seem to like her very much. Does she have a reason to?”

Luhan gave out a smile, “This is your mother we’re talking about. She doesn’t need a reason to.”

Minjoo pressed her lips together in thought.

----

“I’ll lead you to the office then,” Kai sighed, leaving Jieun to follow her with quick steps. She wondered why he seemed so angry – why he seemed to have a grudge against her.

“Do you hate me or something?” she blurted. No sooner had she spoken, she wished that she could take them back. Her and her stupid mouth.

Kai turned around and gave her a small glare, before turning around and walking in long strides, leaving Jieun to tag along again.

“I’m just saying – don’t you even think you’re just a burden on Minjoo?” he spat, just loud enough for Jieun to hear.

“Y-You think so?” she muttered in surprise, almost dropping her books in the process.

“Why don’t you think?”

His answer was a long silence. He knew the type of person that Jieun was; she probably would have been close to tears from his harsh words. He didn’t know why he acted like this towards her, but it was his first instinct and usually – usually, not always – his instincts were right.

“The office.”

Jieun bowed before walking into the office, brushing her skirt and her lips. She looked back to see the non-existence of Kai. What to expect? She thought.

Jieun breathed out, before pressing the bell. It gave a posh ding and a lady stepped out from the back doors, her head still outside, talking to someone. She gave a nod before walking to Jieun.

“New student right?”

Jieun whispered a “Yes” before taking a piece of paper that the lady held out.

“Check your details.”

She nodded before the lady handed her a timetable and shooed her out.

“Rubbish lady,” Jieun muttered, before bumping into Kai.

“W-What are you doing here?” In reply, Kai shot a smirk at her.

“You think I’m heartless? It’s great that you think of me like that. Thank me for showing you around on your first day.”

“Thank you then…I guess.”