Piece 024: A Break and Restlessness

Jigsaw
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

My heart started to beat faster when suddenly the pen was out of ink. It’s the one that Hyemi gave me for my birthday a few months ago, it’s weird. I didn’t use this pen that much but it’s already out of ink?

‘Son-shi?’

 

‘Uh? Yes?’ I looked up to the voice calling my name.

 

‘You need another pen?’ The lady sitting in front of gave me her pen and smiled. Without much hesitation, I took her black pen and signed the papers. Soon, she left with the documents in her hands, leaving me alone inside my office.

But still, I couldn’t shake my thoughts about Hyemi and I couldn’t deny that I was feeling so restless. What’s with me? My sight suddenly went towards the picture frame with a picture of her and me. It was taken early this year and I couldn’t deny that it was one of the happiest moments in my life.

Maybe I should take a break and so, I got up from my chair, grabbed my coat and went out from that office.

 

***

 

How long had it been since I last came here? Maybe a few months and now I thought I knew why I was feeling so restless before. These paintings, I hadn’t look at them for quite a while and judging from these, Uncle Dohyun must’ve had made lots of new ones.

‘This seems so plain… Maybe if the artist put more effort into it, this piece would look so much more beautiful and meaningful. He wants to sell this at this price? Very ambitious.’

I turned to the lenient voice behind me and to my surprise there’s this lady, long hair, fair skin and beautiful eyes. I was surprised that she dared to say those words out loud inside the painter’s own gallery.

 

‘I’m sorry but the ambitious artist that you talked about is my most trusted friend. ’ I said politely but then, a huge smile went onto her lips and I couldn’t deny that she looked a lot prettier when she did.

 

‘Ah, you heard that? I’m sorry but –‘

 

‘You might look it that way, but to me, this portrays much more meaning.’

 

‘I’m sorry. It’s just an opinion. Mr…?’

 

‘Son Dongwoon.’

 

‘Kim Hyuna.’

Hyuna. That’s a nice name.

We went silent for a while, staring at a painting before us. Not much people were inside that building and somehow, I felt a bit nervous standing all quiet like this.

‘This’s your first time coming here?’ I asked, trying to shake this weird atmosphere off.

 

‘Yes, I love going to different galleries and take a look at different artworks. I’m an artist myself. You?’

 

‘I’m a director of a company. I consider things like these as an interest, nothing more.’ I explained, earning nods from the lady.

 

‘That’s cool –‘

 

 

‘Dongwoon!’ A loud voice took over and Hyuna couldn’t finish her words when Uncle Dohyun ran quickly towards us.

‘You’re here, finally. How long has it been? Ah, a beautiful lady. She’s your company?’

 

‘No, no. I just met her.’ I quickly responded but I noticed that she was giggling in amusement. What’s so funny?

 

‘What brings you here,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter