Winter

Four Seasons of BaekYeol

Baekhyun  Chanyeol  

 

 

He trudged through the heavy snowfall, cold and exhausted. Pulling his jacket closer to his abdomen as he shivered uncontrollably, trying to stay warm. He squinted, struggling to find a safe haven through the whiteness, away from the cold, and away from the snow.
 

Why was he outside in the first place? He had woken up at quarter to 2 (in the morning) some hour and a half ago, because of his empty stomach which protested at the lack of food.

So setting out in -20 weather, in the dark, Baekhyun set off in search of a convenience store with a "OPEN 24/7" sign.
Finally spotting the light, he quickly moved his frozen feet, pushed open the door and sighed in content at the welcoming burst of warm air which engulfed his frozen clothed body.

 

"Just my luck." Chanyeol groaned.

The convenience store where he worked was the last place he wanted to be on a night (morning?) like this. He sighed setting his head down in his arms at the small table that provided customers with a place to sit and eat cup ramyun or whatever. Just three more hours, then he would be able to go home and sleep in his comfortable bed.
 

The store bell dinged, signaling that a customer had entered the store. He paid no mind, glumly staring out at the white world outside. He heard the shuffling of the customer and reluctantly pulled himself out of the chair and to the counter.
 

"That will be 1500₩." He mumbled, scanning the cup ramyun.

Hearing an angry curse from the customer, Chanyeol looked up. However the customer's attention was focused on the ground as he bent down to pick up a fallen bill. With trembling hands, the customer handed Chanyeol the correct amount of money. Chanyeol flinched as his warm hand made contact with the customer's cold one. Quickly retreating his hand, he began to work the cash register. Glancing up questioningly at the customer who's hand was still in place where the exchange of cash was made some 10 seconds ago.

 

"K-Kamsahamnida." Baekhyun mumbled taking his purchase and shuffling over to one of the tables near the front. He peeled away his large jacket, gloves and hat, running a hand through his cold, hair.
 

"Can-Can you turn up the heat?" He asked turning to the cashier.
 

"Any hotter and the store will burn down." He heard the other male mumble a slight scowl on his face.

Baekhyun didn't say anything and with clumsy, frozen hands he tore the lid off the noodle cup. He felt slightly guilty. It was what, almost 4 in the morning and he was bothering another human being who would probably much rather want to be home in bed than at a convenience store in the early early morning.
 

He winced as the hot water from the machine splashed drops on the already pink skin of his hands and fumbled with his chopsticks, accidentally letting them fall to the ground. He could feel his nose run as he bent down to pick them up and rubbed his sleeve across his face in annoyance. However just as he reached out to grab them, another hand picked them up instead. 
 

Chanyeol watched as the other boy clumsily began to make his instant noodles. He was trembling everywhere and gritted his teeth in pain when using the hot water machine.
He watched the boy, trying so hard not to trip and fall, maneuver back to the table where Chanyeol had been seated moments earlier and attempt to make the chopsticks work in his cold hands, dropping them on the floor in the process.
Chanyeol didn't know what made him move, but the next thing he knew, he was standing in front of the shorter boy, said chopsticks in his hands.

 

"Uhm, I'll get you another pair." Chanyeol said moving back to the cutlery, placing the pair of stainless steel chopsticks in the empty wash basket. He chose a clean fork instead and placed it in front of the customer who looked from Chanyeol to the fork with a bewildered look on his face.
 

"It's easier to use...you know, cause of your hands...they must be cold..." He said awkwardly then cleared his throat. The boy nodded and thanked him, taking the fork from Chanyeol.
Chanyeol moved back to the cash register trying to process what had just happened. For some reason he felt the need to take care of this boy.
 

 

Baekhyun finished his noodles and sighed, closing his eyes, feeling a bit sleepy from the fullness of his stomach. He was completely defrosted now and frowned when he realized he needed to go back out into the cold in order to get home. He'd much rather stay in the warmness of the store, but... He shifted his eyes, glancing at the boy at the cashier.

Slumped exhausted and worn out in a metal fold up chair, He was around the same age as Baekhyun, tall with slightly long wispy caramel hair tied up into a mini ponytail with a side fringe that framed the right side of his handsome round face. All in all, pretty good looking, Baekhyun mused. But shook his head when he realized his thoughts. Baekhyun stood up, tossing his empty cup into the garbage and putting the fork in the wash basket. He pulled on his heavy coat and fixed his tuque over his head snuggly.
 

"Kamsahamnida." He said bowing slightly, startling the cashier boy into a more awake position. 

 

"Kamsahamnida."
 

Chanyeol started, sitting up and glancing around until he found the source of the thank you. He hadn't even realized he had been dozing off. If his manager saw him like that, he'd surely get fired on the spot, in front of a customer. Embarrassing...
 

"Kamsamnida...?" Chanyeol asked, confused. The other boy's cheeks pinked, though Chanyeol thought it was from the cold.
 

"For helping me...you know..." The  shorter said coughing awkwardly.
 

"Ah...ye." Chanyeol said nodding, finally understanding.
There was an awkward pause and then the customer turned and exited the store, bell dinging as the door opened, leaving the store vulnerable to a gust of icy wind.

 

"Jamkkan!" Chanyeol blurted, making the other boy stop in the middle of the doorway.
 

"What's your name?" He asked feeling slightly foolish. However, a smile broke out across the boy's face, making Chanyeol temporarily forget about the cold.
 

"Byun Baekhyun."
 


 

A/N

Honestly I find myself trying to write every single little detail -_-

I hope the POV shifts aren't confusing... I color coded them to make it easy... It's written in third person omniscent...? Idk god i applied for a BA in English and I can't even remember what the different third person POV's are called...