A visit

Awkward

 

“Uh, Adrianna? I think you’re going to want to come out here,” yelled my co-worker from the door opening into the lunch room. I was on break at my work and I seriously did not want to be interrupted. I was waiting for Kyungsoo to text I back.

“I’ve got 5 minutes left, just please leave me in peace for a bit more!” I yelled back.

“No, I need to come here right now!” They insisted.

I put the chair I was sitting on back on four legs and pushed it back. “If this about some good-looking customer in the shop across the hall, I’m going to be really angry,” I said, going to the door and opening it.

My co-worker pointed to the front of the store, “He’s asking for you.”

My eyes followed their finger pointing to a figure by the cash desk. The person turned around and there was Kyungsoo in all his awkward glory, looking like he didn’t know what to do with himself. In his hands was a bouquet of pink roses.

I lifted my arm to wave to Kyungsoo in order to get his attention. His eyes focused on me and his ears turned darker than my flowers. He ducked his head behind the bouquet and quickly jogged to my location.

I gave my co-worker an evil glare to make them go away so Kyungsoo would not have an audience. My co-worker scurried away under my gaze just as Kyungsoo stopped in front of me. He watched with relief as my co-worker left.

“Our next date isn’t until Friday night, Kyungsoo,” I teased.

“I know. I just... wanted to see you before then. Is it okay?” Kyungsoo glanced up at me shyly.

Be still my beating heart... “Kyungsoo!” is all I allow myself to say. Too many words might reveal the feelings that were scrambling my heart right now.

“So I bought these flowers for you, in case you were angry. I didn’t want to get red roses because Kai told me once that’s code for I want to... uh, so I was going to get another flower, but they seemed cheap and I didn’t want you to think I thought you were a cheap date so I got pink flowers instead,” babbled Kyungsoo, chewing on his lip.

“They’re perfect. I’m going to be the talk of the store for a while with a boy bringing me flowers. I’ve made me a local celebrity,” I joked.  “Aw, but if only you had come sooner. My break is over,” I said, looking at my watch.

Kyungsoo put his hands up in protest “That’s okay! I just wanted to see your face again. And hear your voice. And well maybe I missed your legs too...” I giggled at Kyungsoo’s rambling.

I cupped Kyungsoo’s cheeks in my hands. “I missed you too. Now my cuteness is distracting me from work. Go before I kiss you in front of everyone.”

“Okay, I’m going now,” squeaked Kyungsoo and he rushed out of my store.

My co-worker came up behind me chuckling, “So that’s the new one huh? He’s a bit... not like your normal ones.”

I stiffened and shrugged off the hand on my shoulder. “It’s not like that. This is different,” I promised myself, more than assuring my co-worker. I had dropped my past behind me. It was a final decision. I hoped dating Kyungsoo would properly bury it.

***

“You didn’t!” I hooted, covering my laughter with my hand.

Kyungsoo nodded, laughing just as hard with me, “The look of shock on his face when he realized whose toothbrush he was using was priceless.”

“Poor Baekhyun,” I chuckled and cut into my steak again.

The date was so far a success. Kyungsoo had managed to actually knock on my door this time, getting a small introduction to my mom.

“I think she likes me,” Kyungsoo whispered to me on the way to his car.

“Did the pinching of my cheeks give it away?” I replied sarcastically.

Kyungsoo had managed to wrangle out a semi-private table at the restaurant we were at. Without the whole world focused on us, Kyungsoo seemed to allow himself to relax. Then he started telling me stories of mayhem he got into with the group of boys I had met a couple of evenings ago. Just when I had thought awkward Kyungsoo was the cutest, I was sadly mistaken after seeing Kyungsoo laugh so hard he almost cried. It was glorious.

“Don’t ever change, ‘kay? I love this carefree Kyungsoo,” I blurted out and Kyungsoo sprouted a wide smile.

“With you by my side, why would I stop smiling?” Kyungsoo said cornily and laughed when I reached over the table to punch him.

“I’m being serious, you idiot. I really like—”

“Adrianna? How nice to run into you here,” a familiar voice interrupted me. I froze and slowly turned my head. Junho, one of my... recent projects... was smiling beside me.

“Hi, I’m Kyungsoo,” Kyungsoo put out his hand like the well manner guy he was, to shake with Junho.

Junho looked at the offered hand and looked back at me with amusement. “Not your normal cup of tea, but I guess someone like you needs to shake it up once and awhile, am I right?”

Kyungsoo frowned when Junho didn’t shake his hand. He brought it down gradually, a little hurt at being ignored. That made the hairs on the back of my neck bristle. I didn’t ever want Kyungsoo to lose that innocent shine in his eyes.

“Junho, why don’t you leave? You’re clearly disrupting our date,” I pointed out bluntly. I was not going to play word games with him.

“As you request,” Junho made a mocking bow. He turned to Kyungsoo before he left, “Have fun with this one. At least she’s good in the sack.”

I closed my eyes and shook my head. Junho always had to get the last word. I heard scraping of a chair against the floor then a warm presence on my head.  I opened my eyes to see Kyungsoo smiling at me, rubbing his hand on my head. “Ex-boyfriend, huh? I knew you were too pretty not to have a couple of those. Don’t worry; I’m not the jealous type. At least I don’t think I am,” Kyungsoo cocked his head and I couldn’t help but be cheered up.

“And you’re understanding,” I sighed under my breath. “Can I take you home and keep you with me forever. Like whenever I need a pick-me-up, just take you out of a little case and you can tell me a story?”

Kyungsoo laughed at my notion and put his hand out for mine. “Let’s get out of here. I know a good place that makes homemade ice cream.”

***

It was late but the air didn't hold a chill. Kyungsoo and I were sitting on the table part of a picnic table, our feet on the bench part, at our ice cream cones. We had driven half an hour to get to this random ice cream place, but it was well worth it.

“This is the best ice cream I have ever tasted. And they make their own cones fresh! I’m dreaming right now, oh my god...” I moaned with some of said ice cream in my mouth.

“I said the same thing when Sehun took me here. Although, I don’t think I pulled off that y of a moan,” winked Kyungsoo and laughed at his own forwardness.

“Why didn’t you take me here in the first place? The smell of those onion rings is making me salivate.”

“I wanted to impress you. I wanted you to think of me as a romantic boyfriend rather then that awkward boy you met at the grocery store. I guess I read you wrong. You just wanted dessert, you didn’t want a date,” Kyungsoo tried to end on a bright note, to distract from his serious comments.

I wiped my lips with a napkin, “Kyungsoo, I don’t care where we go; I just want to spend some time with I. You clearly didn’t think ahead, because this place is pretty deserted. That means we can create some hickeys,” I grinned wickedly.

Kyungsoo had a hard time gulping down what was in his mouth. “How in the world did I manage to snag a girl that was blunter then Kai?”

I scooched closer to Kyungsoo and his eyes widened at my closeness. I my ice cream seductively and Kyungsoo’s eyes follow the tip of my tongue.

“Now is not the time to be bringing up your roommates,” I suggested, tearing off some waffle cone with my teeth.

“You’re right, what was I thinking? You said something about hickeys, right?” Kyungsoo bit his lip habitually.

I smiled conspiratorially, “Want to try some of my ice cream?”

Kyungsoo looked instantly confused, but nodded anyways. I dipped my head to kiss Kyungsoo, tilting my head so I could play tongue-twister with Kyungsoo. I opened one eye and giggled into Kyungsoo’s mouth when his eyes were still open. I put my fingers over Kyungsoo’s eyelids to close them and slowed down my kiss. I drew away slowly and was satisfied when Kyungsoo did not open his eyes. His mouth still moved slightly, like he was in withdrawal from my lips.

“It’s a good flavor, eh?”

“Flavor? What?” Kyungsoo said, stirring back to life. “Oh yes, fabulous flavor. I’ll have to try it next time.”

I chuckled throatily “Maybe I should hold off on the kisses so you can come back to reality.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes snapped open, “Whatever you do, don’t stop,” He said, looking scared to lose something he just found out he enjoyed.

“If we do it too much, it might ruin its novelty,” I said, studying my finger nails.

Kyungsoo gripped my arm, looking very serious. “I will never get used to that kiss, I can guarantee you that.”