Chapter 9: Food and Colors

The Artistic Punk

 

 
 “ !” Eunhyuk exclaimed, as the omelet exploded in his face. Quickly stepping back, Eunhyuk checked his shirt for any charred marks. 
 
 Eunhyuk wasn’t a chef. He rarely ever cooked, and if he was to do so, he usually ended up with burned, well, he would never admit to what he was cooking previously. Everyone knew though, that if you added the genius into a kitchen, you’d most likely end up calling the emergency number. 
 
 His lack of cooking skills originated from his sheltered childhood, where he had people to cook for him. He always had someone home to make him something. If for some odd reason he was left alone, he’d settle for cereal ( Maybe strawberry ice-cream) as his meal of the day unless he had the urge to attempt to create something. When his family stopped hiring nanny’s and maids, Eunhyuk suffered the sad, usual life of a college student: Ordering pizza and cold ramen. It’s not a mystery, when figuring out why Eunhyuk was so keen on letting Kyuhyun stay with him.
 
 So, Eunhyuk wouldn’t usually be caught in the kitchen, which caused his roommate to be pretty suspicious. 
 
 Kyuhyun was standing at the doorway, his hands crossed as he watched his friend burn -what ever he conjured up- continuously. He had come down to see what the commotion was about, around the time Eunhyuk cried out the fourth time. That moment, was the eighth. Kyuhyun knew he should have stopped his friend the minute he spotted the boy with a spatula in his hand (Upside-down) with out an apron on, - and Kyuhyun did debate this in his head for awhile, honestly- but he thought ‘Where was the fun in that?’. So there was Kyuhyun, entertained by the awkward, failure as a chef named Eunhyuk at the archway binding the kitchen to the living room.
 
 After Kyuhyun noted there was only one egg left in the container, and remembered he wanted an omelet the following morning, he spoke up. “ Eunhyuk, what are you doing?”
 
 “ Trying to make lunch for tomorrow.” Eunhyuk growled, as he broke the egg into the pan.
 
“ Why?”
 
Eunhyuk bit his lip and shook the pan around a bit. “ I-I don’t like the lunch food.”
 
 It was such an obvious lie. Eunhyuk knew Kyuhyun wouldn’t buy it, but it was worth a shot.
 
“ No seriously.” And Eunhyuk was right.
 
 “ None of your business.” Eunhyuk muttered as he turned down the heat of the stove.
 
 “ It is my business if the house is to burn down soon.”
 
 Eunhyuk sighed and waved his spatula at Kyuhyun. “ I’ll tell you later.”
 
 Kyuhyun groaned and nodded. The one thing that the two definitely had in common was their stubbornness. 
 
 Eunhyuk grinned in triumph as he poked the eggs, now holding the spatula correctly. As he played around with the -burning- eggs in the pan he thought back to the real reason he was risking his life in the kitchen.
 
 It had been a few days after his paint-splattered-incident in the art room, and everyday he was checking up on Donghae. Not once, had he seen the artist eating. One day, Eunhyuk even came into the art room again, wearing a large coat to protect his clothing ( He had discovered his many attempts to chat with the boy ended with paint splatter) but that time, he hadn’t brought his lunch either. Donghae wasn’t exactly excited about that, and gave him the cold shoulder, till the artist himself was trying not to tear up. Eunhyuk quickly surrendered, when he noticed the artist couldn’t concentrate and excused himself to eat lunch. To confirm he was indeed eating something, he took a picture of his meal and sent it to Donghae through text. Donghae then replied with a:
 
‘ THANK GOD! I thought I was going to have to attack you with paint! :DDDDDDDDDD’ 
 
 After that day, it took another one before Eunhyuk convinced himself, that getting food for the artist was the only way he would eat. All he ever saw of the boy was usually his face glued to the painting. Eunhyuk wasn’t even sure if the boy had ever left the school ( Eunhyuk had tried to wait for him, but it had gotten too late). 
 
Eunhyuk growled as he noticed a sudden burst of colors form in front of his eyes. “ It looks kind of like the colors Donghae used in his Phoenix painting.” Eunhyuk mumbled, smiling a bit at it.
 
 Well he was smiling before he noticed his sleeve was on fire. With that, Eunhyuk had once again shoved his hand under a faucet, forcing ice-cold water to rush over it. A minute later, Eunhyuk had disconnected himself from the sink and sat himself on the sitting stool, after turning the stove off of course. The boy glared at his sleeves: They were both now burned, charred and awkward. 
 
 “ So Donghae huh?” Kyuhyun asked, sliding into the kitchen once again.
 
 “ You are so lucky I’m too tired to move.” Eunhyuk groaned, as he slumped against the kitchen counter. 
 
 “ What? I didn’t say anything to piss you off, or to embarrass you. You shouldn’t get angry with me, unless you know, there is something to be embarrassed about, cause you know. I am all ears.” Kyuhyun joked.
 
 Eunhyuk’s face turned a slight shade of pink, before he shook off the heat. “ Just say what you want and get it over with.”
 
 “ Instead of cooking Mr. artist pants something, that will most likely be inedible, or un-nameable, how about buy him a meal? You know, something that won’t kill any one?” Kyuhyun asked. Eunhyuk jokingly shoved his friend’s shoulder.
 
 “ What time is it?”
 
 “ Eeeh. nine-forty three. “ Kyuhyun replied. “ The store around the corner is open ‘till ten. If you run, you can make it.”
 
 “ you.” Eunhyuk growled as he grabbed his coat and dashed out into the cold weather. 
 
 As Eunhyuk sprinted into the store, he questioned why the hell he was doing all this for some random person. Okay, so he wasn’t random, but he wasn’t exactly a best friend ( Unless Donghae thought they were, then Eunhyuk was on-board.). It wasn’t like there was much to go on: They just met, had coffee one day, and shared many paint splattering moments together. It wasn’t anything intimate, or serious. Which, didn’t help Eunhyuk at all. Maybe it was Donghae’s enchanting smile, or constantly happy eyes that attracted him. Maybe it was how he never had looked down at Eunhyuk, or expected something great from him. Nothing seemed to be right, but it didn’t matter when Eunhyuk entered the convenience store.
 
 He had a new problem to solve: What does Donghae like to eat? 
 
 See, Eunhyuk didn’t think about that when he was in front of the stove. He was all ready to explain that’s all they had in the kitchen, or that was all he knew how to make. Though, now he was in a store, with many choices, and not a lot of time ( The cashier had constantly reminded him.). Eunhyuk groaned as he walked up and down each isle. 
 
 When it came down to his last five minutes, Eunhyuk snatched up what ever came  in sight: A chicken-Caesar-salad, a can of tuna, and a coke bottle. When he was taking the wallet out ready to pay for it, he was worried on how these items would mix. Tuna and Chicken? Doesn’t sound very appetizing. 
 
 Eunhyuk sighed and took his bag full of random foods, leaving the store with them in hand. When Eunhyuk had entered his house, and showed Kyuhyun the items, Kyuhyun only made matters worse:
 
 “ What if he’s a vegetarian?” Kyuhyun joked.
 
 Eunhyuk stood at the refrigerator, frozen. His eyes glued onto the meaty products on the shelves. 
 
 “ If he is…” Eunhyuk mumbled. “ I’ll try again tomorrow.”
 
 “ You are getting so strange.” Kyuhyun grumbled, upset that his Hyung wasn’t shaken up as much as he hoped. 
 
 The following day Eunhyuk dragged himself out of bed, through the house, into the kitchen, out of the kitchen with Donghae’s lunch and into the living room before falling down on to the couch. 
 
 “ Couldn‘t sleep?” Kyuhyun asked as he entered. 
 
 “ Cooking wears me out. I need more hours of sleep after I cook.”
 
 Kyuhyun laughed and shook his head. A few minutes later, Kyuhyun was heading out, to who knows where, with Eunhyuk still collapsed on the couch. As Kyuhyun left, he announced the remaining time Eunhyuk had before he had to arrive at the school. It wasn’t that he didn’t think, Eunhyuk knew, he was just making sure that he couldn’t be blamed for it later on.
 
 “ What ever, just go.” Eunhyuk whined. Kyuhyun didn’t have to be told twice.
 
 About a half hour later, Eunhyuk found himself at the hallway to his classroom. He had barely any memory of how he got there, who he waved at, and what time he had left. He didn’t recall seeing Donghae in the art room, which he knew had to be a lie, and he wanted to go back to check. His body though, was set against it. His body knew the choices: Go to the classroom a few feet away, or climb down numerous stairs and through a hallway to get to the art studio. The body knew which one would use less energy, and Eunhyuk found himself using that route. A few moments later he was seated in his usual spot in his classroom, everything perfectly organized in front of him.
 
 Eunhyuk gazed at his desk. He noted how everything was perfectly set, and how this time he didn’t even think about it: The blue notebook in front, at a perfect seventy-five degree angle, with two pencils and a pen. His classroom book, was to his right, tugged into the corner of the desk. He had a water bottle right next to his left foot. 
 
 Suddenly, there were colors surrounding him, and loud chatter. The teacher had walked in with the students and soon class began. 
 
 Eunhyuk had went through all his classes, all his lectures, half-alive. A few teachers had asked him about his lack of energy in the classroom ( His science professor even asked him if he was ready to leave class early like usual). When lunch time came around, he was only somewhat energized. 
 
 The genius held Donghae’s lunch at his side as he strutted off to the art studio ( His body did not appreciate this). He went over what he was going to say a few times, as he walked towards the closed art-door. Occasionally he would stop, grumble gibberish,  then continue to figure out the right words to enter with. Once at the door how ever, he checked over his items, and relaxed his for some reason stressed body. He had his handle on the door when he heard something crash, and a muffled curse from Donghae’s voice. Eunhyuk opened the door, just a crack, and peaked inside, to see Donghae and a stranger.
 
 Donghae bent down to pick up his cup and paintbrushes, which were knocked off by the visiting man’s carelessness. He scooped them all into his hand and placed them on the table, before turning around and crossing his arms.
 
 “ Why are you really here Siwon?” Donghae asked, crossing his arms.
 
  Siwon sighed, and placed the bag of goodies on the counter he was leaning against. “ I came to bring you lunch.”
 
 “ You know I don’t eat when stressed-”
 
 “ Unlike most people.” Siwon quickly announced. Donghae rolled his eyes.
 
“ Now spill it. I’m really busy right now.” Donghae ordered. Siwon sighed, and stepped towards the artist. Donghae’s hands automatically reached for the paintbrushes. Siwon, lifted his hands up in defense as he stepped closer.
 
 “ Your reflexes got better.”
 
 “ I’ve been in many incidents lately where I’ve been needing them.” Donghae chuckled thinking back to Eunhyuk.
 
 Siwon’s eyes widened and jumped towards the artist, grabbing the boy’s arms. “ Are you okay?” He freaked, as he patted the smaller boy down. Donghae swatted the arms away.
 
 “ Duh. I wouldn’t be working if I wasn’t.” The artist growled. Siwon let his arms drop to his sides. 
 
 “ You never know.” Siwon noted, lifting his hand up to brush Donghae’s cheek. The artist stood there, his eyes narrowing. 
 
 “ What are you doing?”  Donghae questioned, eyeing the hand, gently caressing his skin. “ Stop.”
 
 “ Donghae I-”
 
 Quickly swatting the hand off of his cheek, Donghae lifted his head. His eyes pierced into the taller’s. “ I want to be friends Siwon. I loved being friends with you! But I can’t if you’re going to keep doing… trying to be… being this, doing this. “ Donghae explained. “ We went over it. I don’t want that anymore. The fight at your apartment should have been proof!”
 
 Siwon jumped and swiftly grabbed Donghae’s hands. “ Hae-”
 
 “ Donghae.”
 
 “ Hae, I’m sorry. I’m trying.”
 
“  Really you’re trying? ‘Cause you know, it looks like you’re trying to go back in time. I’m sick and tired of this. I keep getting put in the middle, and then  finding my way out. Or I’m being placed in some random, messed up color spectrum. And I‘m an artist, and take chemistry! I-I know what a spectrum is.” Donghae exclaimed, his eyes b with tears. “ And Siwon-”
 
 “ Hae!” Eunhyuk yelled, as he walked into the room, the moment he spotted Donghae’s eyes. Siwon, held onto Donghae’s hands tighter, which didn’t go unnoticed, by either witness.
 
 Donghae spun his head around, a smile quickly finding it’s way on his face. “ Hyuk! What are you doing here?”
 
 “ I brought you lunch. You said you couldn’t afford it.” Eunhyuk explained, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.
 
 Donghae squealed silently and tugged at his hands. After giving Siwon a small glare, his hands were unleashed, and he gave Eunhyuk a huge hug. “ Thanks Hyukkie!” 
 
  Eunhyuk was stunned for a moment by the nickname, but quickly shrugged it off. He wrapped his arms around Donghae, squeezing him tight.
 
 “ Who’s he?” Eunhyuk asked.
 
 Donghae tightened his arms around Eunhyuk and rested his forehead on the genius’s shoulder. “ Supposedly a friend-” Donghae looked up and over at Siwon. “ Who is going to be late for his lecture if he doesn’t leave.”
 
 “ I’m not going to-”
 
 “ You are.” 
 
 “ Fine. What ever. This isn’t over though. Come to my place after school.”
 
 “ Can’t I’m painting.”
 
 “ After your painting.”
 
 “ Can’t I’m calling home.”
 
 “ Do that at my place.”
 
 “Do that at my place.” Donghae mocked. “ No. I’ll do it at mine. Thank you very much.” 
 
 Siwon groaned and rubbed his temple. “ Such a child. Just call me when you get home. I at least want to know your safe.”
 
 “ No promises.” Donghae snapped. Siwon rolled his eyes and trudged out the door, leaving his food behind. “ Sorry Eunhyuk.”
 
 “ It’s fine. I think. Everything okay?” Eunhyuk asked. The two let go of each other, and the artist sat himself on the stool.
 
 “ Just peachy.” Donghae then giggled. “ Get it, cause I’m an artist? And peach is a color?”
 
 “ Almost everything’s a color.” Eunhyuk noted. Donghae’s smile twisted into a pout.
 
 “ Fine ruin my joke. It’s not like I’m going to be a comedian.” Donghae mumbled. Eunhyuk laughed and sat down beside him.
 
 “ I hope not. You’ll be kicked off the minute you stepped on stage.” 
 
 “ At least I‘ll be on there one more second you‘ll ever be.” Donghae challenged. 
 
 “ Uh-huh. And why’s that?” 
 
 “ I have a prettier face than you do.”  Donghae cheered when he watched Eunhyuk’s fake distraught expression. “ So what did you bring me.”
 
 “ Are you a vegetarian?” Eunhyuk asked. Donghae shook his head. “ Thank god. I got you a Caesar Salad, coke, tuna-”
 
 “ I LOVE TUNA!” Donghae exclaimed grabbing the can excitedly. “ Aaaw thanks so much Hyukkie! Oh and coke! I love it! THANK YOU!”
 
 Eunhyuk smiled and nodded. “ So you’ll eat?”
 
 “ Of course.”
 
  Eunhyuk wanted to comment on the conversation between Siwon earlier and the stress-eating, but thought it better to keep that knowledge a secret to himself. Donghae happily ate the meal in front of him, occasionally talking about the colors he was going to use, and his professors. Eunhyuk would pitch in a few new ideas here and there- Donghae was on board with all of them oddly enough. 
 
 Eunhyuk found himself sharing Donghae’s meal, forgetting he had his own lunch in his bag. Donghae didn’t seem to mind, but at times encouraged it. The artist had pushed the coke bottle towards him, or the fork he was using. The tuna though. The tuna was all Donghae’s. 
 
 Eunhyuk believed not even all the money in the world could separate the two. 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
Author's Note:
 
 Hey readers of every world/realm/sci-fi-thing-that-I-can't-remember, how's it going.
 
 I got hit by Hurricane Sandy.
 
 So I got my power back monday or tuesday night ( I don't know.), and I've been working on yard work and school, when it came back ( Thursday). I finally got around to writing this chapter up! YAY! 
 
 Did you know, a day after I had power, we had a snow storm?! DUDE! The weather is insane on the east coast right now. 
 
 Anywaaaaays. What you think of this chapter? 
 
 Was it good? I found it boring... I'm so sorry :( ( I think I find all my stories boring).
 
 What do you think of Eunhyuk and his cooking skills? Or the cooking scene in general? 
 
 What do you think of Kyuhyun's character? Do you want more or less of him?
 
 Do you want to know more about Donghae and Siwon's relationship.
 
EEEEEK! I can't wait for the following chapters:
 
 Sneak Peak?:
 
 CHILDHOOD FLASHBACKS

 DINNER AT DONGHAE'S!
 
Love you all!

KriKri