Marshmallow

Love In Different Forms

Two strawberries in a bowl.
Little did Hyukjae and Donghae both know, but that was exactly what they'd become by the end of this trip.
Different isn't it? Two strawberries in a bowl?
A little more unusual than the typical two-peas in a pod.

"Hyukjae! Donghae!" Mrs. Lee called from across the sandy vicinity.

The sun had already set, painting the skies a prussian blue whilst the dark littering of stars.

Hyukjae looked behind him only to be met with a playful mound of brunette hair and honeyed smiles.

Walking lightly across the cooled powder of crushed gravel beneath his feet, the older carried Donghae to the circumference of the heated flame before setting him down carefully onto a log, taking the seat directly beside the younger.

Hyukjae's mother passed around a large bag of jumbo marshmallows before handing both Donghae and Hyukjae drawn out lanky sticks.

As Hyukjae glanced at the smaller, he noticed a flicker of childish excitement graze across his eyes cutely, intently staring at the fire.

Eunhyuk couldn't help but laugh slightly, amused and adored at just how lovely this other man was.

"Here Donghae, like this." Hyukjae said, taking a single puffy marshmallow in his right hand before piercing it slowly through the twig. He arched his arm over, ever so smoothly heating the sugared roundness to golden perfection.

Donghae tried to imitate whatever his right-hand man was doing, only to have himself miserably fail, his once perfectly moon white marshmallow flopped over grotesquely, dead on the fiery ashes of the flames.

Hyukjae toppled over himself in laughter, grinning adorably at the sight of the smaller's first try.

Donghae just sat there, luscious pout making its way known on his face.

The older casually brought his golden-brown treat back over to himself, relaxing his arm.

As soon as he saw the look on Donghae's face though, he knew exactly what he had to do.

Taking an extensive stare at Donghae's forlorn expression, Hyukjae curled his fingers underneath the former's chin, charily bringing up the younger's face, causing their eyes to meet in an intense gaze for a few seconds before Hyukjae let go, pressing his gold and cirspy sugared ball of roundness in between him and the younger.

Donghae's eyes lit up, opening his mouth wide and taking a big, adorable bite out of the marshmallow. He chewed cutely, not once taking his eyes of of Eunhyuk.

Chuckling to himself, Hyukjae took a small bite next after Donghae, sympathetic and amused expression not once faltering from his face as he stared at the younger with a feeling he couldn't quite define.

Mr. Lee closed the door to the back of the van, stuffing the beach items inside before hollering to Hyukjae's mother, the shotgun rider, "Okay honey! That's the last of it!"

He strode briskly over to the wheel before opening the door and shutting it after he hopped in.

Mrs. Lee flashed him a quick smile, nodding silently, communicating that everyone was ready.

Donghae yawned sweetly, pressing his face closer to the window in an attempt to watch the speed-zoned cars before finally dozing off, headlights depicting slightly different shades of red and brown on his hair while passing by.

The scene was quite picturesque, and Hyukjae couldn't help the slight unfamiliar feeling that swelled in his chest.

It was odd really, how someone he had taken in just a few weeks ago had bonded with him so well already. Even so, he still hadn't let go of that nagging voice in the back of his head that told him that Donghae probably belonged somewhere else. Hyukjae pondered mercilessly on what the boy's parents were feeling by now and if they had even begun searching for Donghae.

Still, he was glad that the younger had ended up on his doorstep instead of anywhere else. Someone as attractive and fragile as Donghae could've been easily taken advantage of.

The very thought of that had Hyukjae swallowing down a new spout of bile that climbed its way up his throat.

Just then, Donghae moaned lethargically before un-curling from his position on the window and nuzzling his face into Hyukjae's left shoulder.

The older wasn't sure how to react right away, awkwardly patting the younger's sweet-smelling head of hair. He didn't want to scare Donghae, and the only reason he reacted the way he did on the airplane was because the latter had been clearly distressed.

All of his doubts faded away though when Donghae sighed gently, turning his whole body around to face Hyukjae while cuddling even closer to the older, raising his knees as close to his chest as possible in the fetal position.

Eunhyuk blushed, relieved that Donghae's eyes were still closed, so as not to see the shade of crimson hue that was slowly spreading its way across his cheeks.

Calm and caution taking heed, Hyukjae gingerly wrapped his left arm around the younger's shoulder, before carefully making his way down to Donghae's waisteline.

It was precious and beautiful this way, cuddled up in this new and comfortable position, Hyukjae thought.

It were as if cuddling and holding onto each other like this was a silent and unspoken act between them that somehow had them mutually calming down together. Like this was the only way they both could actually sleep without worries, knowing they were safe in each other's arms.

The van kept accelerating throughout the night-lit highway, headlights illuminating the dark road ahead as the vehicle took a rounded turn around a steep road.

The gentle hum and lull of the engine had Donghae and Hyukjae asleep in a heartbeat.

Mrs. and Mr. Lee looked at the rear view mirror simultaneously catching the adorable sight of the two boys away in dreamland.

Two strawberries in a bowl.