Ends of Bridges

Love In Different Forms

Sunset reached a new level of dazzling, as dewdrops of sweet orange and yellow danced their way around the clouds in wisps of sweet yogurt whispers and ginger remnants. The deep red hue of the settling sun had began to seep through the world, as if almost bidding the upcoming stars goodnight, and awaiting for a new day to emerge while the angels fell asleep.

The cherry blossoms trickled their tiny grasps of pink into a flurry of a million morsels, falling ever so slowly from the trees that held them, and onto the ground in a beautiful carnation paradise.

Hyukjae and Donghae began walking the nature trail that lead through an immense clearing of blossomed trees; greeted by the fresh breeze of the early season and more of those glittering effects of petals that created an impression of an infinite stream line.

Jongwoon had left an hour ago due to his break being cut short by a coffee run from his co-worker. Apparently, the boss sent down favors quite often, and Jongwoon and his business companion would take turns in actually granting those requests.

It only seemed fair, Hyukjae thought.

Running coffee errands and buying tofu from the closest grocery was a pointless side job that garnered brownie points from the higher being, but in-turn, took away from the actual daily reward known as “break time.”

Hyukjae was beginning to thank his lucky stars that all his profession required him to do was to sit in a ventilated cubicle until the end of the day, answering calls and attending to deposits instead of operating a dynamic drug bust, ministering a missing person’s retrieval, and stopping a bank robbery; all in one day.

Not that Hyukjae looked down on his best friend or anything. In fact, he loved that the eldest was in a field of work that guaranteed constant mystery and an appealing dangerous lifestyle; but Hyukjae was content at what was happening at the moment with himself right now.

What was happening, was Donghae.

Hyukjae’s little slice of the stars.

The blonde swore that when the younger smiled, he could see the beauty of all the cosmos combined.

His laugh however, was that one special thing that Hyukjae needed to push him throughout the day.

Never mind the perpetual conundrum that was known to them as ‘The Chaser’.

Never mind Donghae’s cliffhanger enigma that never even seemed to have a rising action to begin with.

Never mind the jealousy he felt whenever Jongwoon would wrap both of his arms around his precious little brunette.

All that mattered to Hyukjae was this little darling he had gotten to know for quite awhile now; a person sweeter than the nectar of the brightest flower, smarter than his favorite newscast journalist, and warmer than hot chocolate during the winter.

Hyukjae had never laid eyes on somebody so perfect.

A being that Hyukjae adored, and often wondered how God could leave such an angel behind; Heaven’s horizon clearly lost without the brunette’s locks and warm eyes.

Every moment Hyukjae spent was a moment in which the blonde got to know everything about the greatest gift his eyesight had ever bestowed upon him;

Donghae.

Hyukjae was caught off guard when Donghae suddenly grasped his arm and heartily pulled him towards the ground with him, the youngest of the two blissfully rolling around the open field of fallen petals before scooping a handful of the leaflets up and parading Hyukjae’s dazed form with them.

Donghae’s smile beamed against the setting sun, competing and ultimately winning in Hyukjae’s heart.

Hyukjae laughed, gathering a handful of his own before showering the younger in an endless mix of coral petals.

Their cherry blossom fight progressed throughout the short infinity they spent together; splashing, laughing, smiling, a ceaseless downpour of nature’s creation.

Hyukjae was the first to give up, gradually halting his activities in the open field of blossoms and settling down to stretch out on the silky grass.

But even as he stopped, incessant tides of petals still rained down on him, one landing right on the tips of his fingers.

Donghae was the next to resolve to tranquil, curling up beside Hyukjae and entwining his fingers in between the older’s own.

The brunette blushed, surprised at his own impulsive actions before Hyukjae confirmed by resting his chin atop the younger’s strawberry scented hair.

Closing his eyes for just a fraction of a moment, Hyukjae wished it could be like this forever between them.

But he knew this wish was unrealistic.

A homoual Korean?

No.

That was the same as suicide.

Hyukjae knew that he was already starting to get way too close.

He knew that one day, this illusion would have to end; he would have to move on and force himself to get married and have a kid, just like what every traditional family implicated in Korea.

A white picket fence, a wife who cooks, and a toddler.

That’s what society wanted from him.

That was what was considered normal.

But at the same time, maybe Hyukjae didn’t want normal.

Hyukjae didn’t want a picket fence, a wife who cooked, and definitely not a child at this stage in his life yet.

Hyukjae wanted more than anything for Donghae to be his.

Even if it meant a lifetime of not being normal, Hyukjae was prepared to do anything if it meant being with Donghae and holding his hand.

He was starting to realize this.

But recognizing feelings and acting upon them were two different things.

So, for the time being, the only thing he could do was hold onto Donghae’s hand because that’s all he could give him, and he prayed it would be enough.

Donghae abruptly sat up upon catching an ice cream vendor halfway across his vision selling cold treats from the other side of the field.

Hyukjae didn’t even have to ask.

The blonde took the younger’s hand in his own again before they began walking towards the man behind the colorful ice cream kiosk.

Strawberry! Donghae motioned by catching his pinky finger and twisting it a little inside his grasp.

Once again, Hyukjae was amazed at how fast Donghae could pick up signing.

What took the blonde one whole year to master during University was taking Donghae less than one third of that time to get the basics and techniques down.

Hyukjae smiled, proud of his self-proclaimed best friend before paying for the treats and sitting down on one of the benches nearby.

It was already nightfall by this time, the stars gleaming down onto the two males, casting a moonlight glow that lusted an aura of calm illumination. Although the stars were coming out, the true essence of the skies twinkled pink; a refine artistry of cotton candy blush as the clouds turned rose.

Hyukjae and Donghae ate in mutual silence, each with their own cone of drizzling strawberries and frozen tart.

In Hyukjae’s mind, just like this;

he began falling for Donghae all over again.

Damn, Hyukjae thought, he’s turned my whole world around.

Not only did Hyukjae want to grab the moon for Donghae and bring it back; he wanted everything space had to offer for Donghae.

Everything.

In Hyukjae’s mind, there would never be enough of anything to make Donghae his prince.

Hyukjae was breezed out of his stupor by suddenly noting that a piece of loose ice cream managed to stick its way to the side of Donghae’s mouth.

The blonde laughed before facing the other, gingerly placing a nervous hand on the younger’s cheek and hesitantly removing the delicacy from the corner of the other’s lip.

Hyukjae could’ve sworn he saw Donghae’s cheeks burn red, a prominent blush creeping up to the edge of his temples.

Donghae was free-falling.

Falling, falling, falling.

Everything the brunette wanted to say, everything the younger wanted to do couldn’t be done fast enough for him to even silently mouth the words

“I love you.”

With three words, Donghae finally realized how much he truly did care about Hyukjae; the Hyukjae that was sitting here wrapped up in nothing but the moonlight and soft touches.

Entwining Hyukjae’s timid fingers through his own, Donghae pressed his lips against the skin of the older’s fingers, moving butterfly kisses consciously upwards onto Hyukjae’s shoulder, and finally, against his cheek.

It was the same love, same quiet promise of forever; only this time, they were both awake to experience it.

The sensation of Donghae’s warm lips against Hyukjae’s cheek sent immense chaste bliss tingling against the blonde’s skin.

Donghae’s innocent kiss sent Hyukjae reeling, and he felt as if those stars mentioned earlier were dancing around them right at that moment.

Saturn’s rings enclosed around Hyukjae and Donghae, as the featherlight radiance of the night seemed to bless this pure break in time.

“We should get home,” Hyukjae said after he was mild enough to even say a word after that moment.

With their fingers still entangled, Hyukjae and Donghae strode their way to the closest sidewalk to hail a taxi, eventually leaving the moonshined cherry blossom petals behind them.

Hyukjae stared out of the cab window as Donghae rested his head on the older’s shoulder.

The blonde drew his hand up and began twirling his fingers gently around the younger’s hair.

The last thing Hyukjae remembered hearing himself think that night, was that

Donghae was his infinity.