Little Things

Love In Different Forms

"So let me get this straight," Jongwoon nonchalantly spoke, giving Hyukjae and Donghae an indifferent face of skepticism, "a creeper you now label 'The Chaser' has been following you two around for Lord knows how long, and you only now found out?"

Realizing how reckless and stupid he probably sounded to his best friend, Hyukjae flinched inwardly, suppressing a groan from escaping his thin lips.

He had no other choice earlier that afternoon than to take himself and the form of an exhausted and visibly shaking Lee Donghae into the back of an almost unyielding taxi cab and head straight towards Jongwoon's house; Hyukjae didn't want to pester his parents anymore with an over-stayed visit and his first-time special friend, but he knew that by the end of the afternoon, he'd have to go next door and ring the doorbell again.

One thing remained a fact; Hyukjae had forgotten both his and Donghae's luggages in the back of his father's car.

Strikingly similar to 'The Chaser'; Hyukjae had failed to realize the blatantly obvious "hidden" and "forgotten", causing him to want to mentally facepalm.

So here he was, kneeling with one knee up to his chin as he tried his best to ice Donghae's twisted ankle while soothing the younger's shakes and cries that had died down long ago; he wasn't even sure who he was trying to convince to "calm down" and "shh, it's okay" anymore.

Most likely, for the past twenty minutes now, it was for himself.

Hyukjae felt his heart clench as he looked up at Donghae's face; the tracks of his tears still apparent through his tan skin.

Donghae had already stopped crying minutes ago, but the wetness of his fear and panic were still detectable on his face.

"I've contacted someone from the closest hospital to help with the foot." Jongwoon said, kneeling beside Donghae while facing him, the youngest of the three plopped down onto a kitchen chair.

The black-headed male gaurdedly opened a small band-aid after peeling off the paper and attaching it to Donghae's cut on his cheek that he had cleaned prior with isopropyl alcohol.

The second Jongwoon moved his hand to attach the bandage securely on Donghae's face though, the brunette frowned at the older and snapped his head to the side, trapping Jongwoon's small fingers in-between his teeth.

"Ouch!" the oldest screamned, gripping his hand while bringing it towards himself to check for any K-9 induced injuries.

Hyukjae only chuckled at the newfound fiesty and bold attitude of Donghae;

"Calm down Yesung. Donghae just wants you to know that he hates you. Also, he doesn't like being touched by people he's just met."

Donghae smiled smugly at that statement, eyes softening as he glanced down at an obviously tired Hyukjae tending to his feet.

Donghae pulled his knees up to his chin, letting his feet rest on the edge of the chair as he shook his head when the blonde wrapped a tender hand around his ankle.

"What's wrong?" Hyukaje began, attempting to pry the brunette out of his position to continue massaging his foot, "Does it hurt?"

"Calm down Hyukjae. Donghae just wants you to know that he hates you. Also, he doesn't like to be touched by blonde erts." Jongwoon said pompously, winking at Donghae who he had just managed to irritate.

And with that, Hyukjae playfully smacked the dark-headed male with the back of his palm, slyly smirking, but giving up quickly and giggling with Jongwoon and Donghae at the eldest's pathetic tone that he had used to imitate Hyukjae's previous words.

Donghae smiled at this.

It was nice to see Hyukjae playfully smiling and laughing with his best friend, gummy smile tracing the defined features of his face.

He's perfect, thought Donghae, unbelievably sweet and perfect.

It was then though that Jongwoon decided to speak up and somehow read Donghae's mind;

"No, honestly Hyukjae, you look exhausted. You've been taking care of Donghae and yourself for the past like-two or three months now right? As much as I hate to say it, he's probably feeling at fault for making you look so tired-"

Donghae nodded fiercely at this observation, feeling helpless at being so emotionally dependent on the only person he knew all the damned time.

He couldn't help it though. Throughout all these weeks from the start of day one, Hyukjae was the only person alive that made him feel so protected and cherished, but nervous and shy all at the same time.

"See Hyuk?" Jongwoon finished up, striding to the garbage can, throwing away the coverings of the band-aid, "I'm right, like always."

Jongwoon had spent a little bit of time in the investigations unit studying the criminals' faces whenever they were taken into interrogation; always standing outside the one-sided glass in order to scrutinize and read silent expressions just out of his curiosity.

On rarity sometimes, they'd come across a suspect, witness, or victim who literally couldn't speak and the tell-tale signs they gave off were exactly the ones Donghae had wherever he went.

So yes, Jongwoon knew that the little brunette couldn't speak from the start, but that didn't matter to him, nor did it stop him for being proud at his best friend who had managed to find someone who understood his reserved ways, and as far as he could tell, adored him all the more.

Plus, Jongwoon thought that Donghae, with his playful and creative antics, was nothing short of cute.

The blonde exhaled, worry still panging his heart in slow motion as he thought about Donghae and what had happened at the shopping district earlier.

Everything was getting complicated.

But as Donghae looked below him in concern, the brunette extended his lithe fingers and ran them gently across Hyukjae's shoulder in a sign of reassurance and comfort.

Hyukjae smiled at this, grasping Donghae's fingers in his own hand carefully, placing a long kiss on the back of the younger's palm.

Jongwoon noticed this immediately, piping up just in time to see both of his friends in the middle of their affectionate-act showcase.

He blushed.

"I thought you two weren't dating; and oh my God eww! It's a tacky post-movie showing of a digitally enhanced Cinderella story...only this time...the two men rent a hotel room and then-"

"Now who's the ert this time?" Hyukjae asked with a smirk, rolling up a newspaper he found close by and hitting Jongwoon playfully across the arm.

Donghae just looked at the eldest incredulously, cracking a smile while giggling, amused at the dark-headed male's hilarious ways.

"Can it Sungie," Hyukjae teased, entwining his fingers into Donghae's own, "it's not like that, and stop filling my little Hae's mind with disgusting images."

In all honesty, the eldest's humor was just a playful way of hiding that he really was jealous of what Hyukjae and Donghae seemed to have; he could see their obvious affection and trust in each other through broad daylight.

He just sighed though, sitting down and watching as Donghae wrapped his arms around the still sitting form of Hyukjae, burrying his face deeper in the blonde's hair below him.

Mhm yeah, thought Jongwoon rolling his eyes, they're totally just friends. Nothing more.

Hyukjae and Donghae caught their afternoon flight in a mad haze.

They had left Jongwoon's house rather late and rang Hyukjae's parents' doorbell a bit slowly, only to come face to face with a relieved looking Mr. and Mrs. Lee who then drove them to the airport on time, still wondering why in the world their son thought it was such a good idea to stop the car in the middle of a busy highway and walk off without taking any of his belongings.

Hyukjae didn't want to answer anymore unnecessary questions than he had to; he had enough of this day and wanted it to pass as quickly as possible.

And so, here they were now in another freezing below Antarctica airplane heading straight towards southern Busan from Seoul by morning.

And here Hyukjae was, still confused over his feelings for the brunette he held in his arms, who fell asleep rather quickly tonight.

Then again, it was already midnight and although every fiber of Hyukjae's being begged for him to finally go to sleep, there was nothing he could do but stay up and count the fleeting stars outside his window.

Hyukjae was so confused and even more worried about Donghae; about that terrifying chase that had happened earlier that morning.

What the hell? Hyukjae thought, bewilderment clouding his usually stable thoughts.

Whoever that man was and whatever he wanted, Hyukjae knew he had to find out.

It was eating him alive inside.

Donghae took notice to the blonde's solemn face rather quickly, pressing his tired body closer to Hyukjae's while nuzzling his mouth deeper into the older's collar bone,

"I'm sorry." he mouthed again and again on Hyukjae's warm skin, feeling more and more irritated with himself as the days go by.

Donghae felt so stupid and defenseless, impossibly more confused about Hyukjae than the other even knew.

The brunette felt so horrible always having to bring Hyukjae down and always having the blonde be the one to take care of him even when he was just blatantly done-in for the day; he's never felt so inadequate in his entire life.

Hyukjae couldn't care less about those little things though; he didn't care that Donghae couldn't speak, he didn't care that Donghae leaned on him whenever he needed to because he had grown to adore Donghae as an individual, and the fact that the younger trusted him was something he was proud of.

All of Donghae's flaws were nothing but perfection in Hyukjae's eyes; the "flaws" that Donghae thought he had were absolutely nothing to Hyukjae, all of the brunette's sweet touches and adoring gestures were everything compared to the little things that Hyukjae thought were nothing but small differences.

Donghae was beautiful and perfect, no one and nothing could tell Hyukjae otherwise.

But being with him and around him made Hyukjae wonder about where exactly Donghae was from and what had happened to him even more, almost dying to know answers to impossible questions; and being around Hyukjae made Donghae feel so useless and a complete disappointment not only to Hyukjae, but to all the people around them.

 

The blonde exhaled, "There's nothing to be sorry about Hae, tomorrow will be better. It's all okay. Go to sleep."

Donghae knew that it wasn't okay though; something was definitely wrong.

Even though they were in the same position and same vehicle, tension filled the air instead of silent comfort and affection.

Donghae could feel it; everything all felt wrong somehow.

But of course, the brunette didn't mention anything but instead, held onto Hyukjae for as long as he could before falling back asleep.

They'll figure it out somehow, Donghae hoped.

It would all be better in the morning; whatever was troubling Hyukjae could disappear as fast as it came.

It would all be better in the morning.

Unfortunately, morning was far to come.